Album sales update

E0yqa9GXEAcw3Hw

Interesting figures now that streaming has also been included. Any comments from our resident chart queen in the streaming era Mr @Jark ?

I didn't realise Madame X was that much down on Rebel Heart. I assumed they performed similar

That SEA total looks off for I'm Breathless. Is it because individual tracks are counted or something and I guess 'Vogue' skews it? Weird.

Wow, she fell off the cliff horribly.

That said I'm sure Kylie's sales would probably still be lower, with a similar crash. But then she never had America.

I like that in the streaming era Marge became kind of an underground artist that not many people know or like. It makes me feel cool when I listen to her.

Wow, she fell off the cliff horribly.

That said I'm sure Kylie's sales would probably still be lower, with a similar crash. But then she never had America.
True but Karly still feeds the gays with bops like Say Something and Real Groove. Marge hasn't given us anything to gag over since Bush was in power.

Her streaming numbers aren't that bad comparatively speaking in the UK and Europe. Her streaming numbers in the USA are absolutely abysmal though..

Multifactorial I would say but still mainly her own fault for going with that damaging 360 deal which favoured making money from touring.
That didn't force her to make a decade or more of undesirable music.

That didn't force her to make a decade or more of undesirable music.
I think there could have been a good album out of Rebel Heart if the leaks didn't happen and the wheels didn't fall off so spectacularly. It's got some great songs on it.

But I take your point and even she does. She pretty much disowned MDNA and Rebel Heart in a recent interview.

I didn’t realise True Blue was her biggest seller, I’d always assumed it was Like A Prayer.

I didn’t realise True Blue was her biggest seller, I’d always assumed it was Like A Prayer.
True Blue is indeed her biggest selling studio album. Like a Prayer was a relative commercial downturn in fact, partly because of the controversy surrounding the title track. Some of the other single also didn't do as well for her ('Oh Father' famously missing the US top 10 at the time and the UK being a bit more preoccupied with SAW in '89).

True Blue is indeed her biggest selling studio album. Like a Prayer was a relative commercial downturn in fact, partly because of the controversy surrounding the title track. Some of the other single also didn't do as well for her ('Oh Father' famously missing the US top 10).
Downturn being relative with 15 million sales! The Like A Prayer singles seemed omnipresent but perhaps I was just of an age to remember them more clearly.

Yeah, from what I gather she'd put quite a few people off by the time LAP came out. Probably more to do with being omnipresent, rather than controversy. I mean she was early out the gate with Like A Virgin, which was hardly subtle content.

The biggest surprise in that table for me is that Erotica has apparently outsold Evita in the long run.

I don't recall the specific mixes but I remember uploading all the mixes from my Madonna CD singles to my Windows Music Player and being obsessed.
My fave at the time was the Sasha Ultraviolet mix but the Orbit Liquid mix and even the Calderone club mix were both also v good..

Her streaming numbers aren't that bad comparatively speaking in the UK and Europe. Her streaming numbers in the USA are absolutely abysmal though..
Are they that abysmal compared to her female peers? Last time I checked streaming numbers for legacy/classic acts in general were horribly skewed in favor of male acts. I don’t know why that is. Last time I looked, Britney was the only female act in the top 30 for acts pre dating 2000 excluding Fleetwood Mac at a push,

Are they that abysmal compared to her female peers? Last time I checked streaming numbers for legacy/classic acts in general were horribly skewed in favor of male acts. I don’t know why that is. Last time I looked, Britney was the only female act in the top 30 for acts pre dating 2000 excluding Fleetwood Mac at a push,
They're not that bad in comparison to her female peers (except for Whitney I think), but she barely makes the RS top 500 streaming list and even acts like Hall and FUCKING Oats have better streaming numbers than her in the USA.

I mean, this is the biggest selling female artist of all time we're talking about. Even if comparatively her numbers aren't that bad with her peers I'd have expected better. Didn't realise the US hated her that much!

They're not that bad in comparison to her female peers (except for Whitney I think), but she barely makes the RS top 500 streaming list and even acts like Hall and FUCKING Oats have better streaming numbers than her in the USA.

I mean, this is the biggest selling female artist of all time we're talking about. Even if comparatively her numbers aren't that bad with her peers I'd have expected better. Didn't realise the US hated her that much!
I think it’s just the age of her fan base though. I stream and download music but never do either with Madonna, I seem to always put the cd on when I want to listen to her. I think most people still listening to her are still playing physical products.

I think it comes down to that she never really connected with the GP after “Music” here. “Hung Up” and “4 Minutes” obviously were relatively high profile releases/had a rollout here, but they didn’t really endure like they did elsewhere. Unfortunately Hall & Oates etc seem to get more traction on playlists, probably because of their inclusion in movies, ads etc in recent years. She’s certainly made a better coin on hard sales the past 40 years to care about shit streaming numbers though!

I think it’s just the age of her fan base though. I stream and download music but never do either with Madonna, I seem to always put the cd on when I want to listen to her. I think most people still listening to her are still playing physical products.
I pretty much stream everything nowadays. I collect and play vinyl too but most of my music (Madonna or otherwise) is consumed via streaming.

CDs are a relic for me at this point, for collection purposes only and I might get rid of them in due course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom