All I Want For Christmas is You is finally No.1 in the UK after 26 years!

No shade to you IA obviously, but I absolutely couldn’t be fucked with this single or its perennial success anymore 🥴

Who the fuck is listening to Xmas songs in bonfire night week. Knowing there is still two months to come of the SAME BORING DIRGE WE'VE HEARD EVERY BLOODY YEAR FOR MILLENNIA.

Disconnect their electricity on public nuisance grounds.

Reactions: D5K
I often wonder how much of the streaming charts is actually what people want to listen to and how much is just the people in charge of the playlist for shops playing generic playlists on a loop. Surely nobody's hammering the festive classics by choice just yet.

I just checked the OCC website as i was thinking it seems to appear earlier every year, but it's been this week for a few years now.

Is it those twats who put their Christmas trees up as soon as they have terrorised the local dogs on Bonfire Night who are responsible?

I often wonder how much of the streaming charts is actually what people want to listen to and how much is just the people in charge of the playlist for shops playing generic playlists on a loop. Surely nobody's hammering the festive classics by choice just yet.
I did notice one of the Christmas playlists on the front page of Spotify last week. I think a lot of people have no imagination and look to be told what to listen to.

Just noticed Last Christmas is #37.

And on streaming alone it's #18 Wham, #20 Mariah.

Who the fuck is listening to Xmas songs in bonfire night week. Knowing there is still two months to come of the SAME BORING DIRGE WE'VE HEARD EVERY BLOODY YEAR FOR MILLENNIA.

Disconnect their electricity on public nuisance grounds.

But surely they’re (mostly) not. The 1st November, Christmas music goes on in just about every business in the entire world nowadays and surely that is the majority of the streaming receipts?

I've not heard any Christmas music anywhere (yet!) But I'm happy to see it charting regardless.

Oh it’s everywhere- I went to IKEA, TK Maxx and a pub and every single one was on Christmas music. Admittedly the pub appeared to be having a Christmas party going on for a (fucking cheapskate) company.

If people are going to stream Christmas songs this early, at least they could give Cher's new one a spin instead!

Or One More Sleep, although actually, thinking about it it, as good as that song is, its probably one that benefits from Xmas being closer to one more sleep...

To be fair it is mainly just Mariah and Wham, with any other Xmas songs being much lower currently - so it sort of indicates it’s not yet playlists dominating but people actively seeking out these two tracks on their own merit. Far too early anyway, but from the week after next it’ll be back to four weeks of charts based on the order of the Spotify Xmas playlist :manson:

To be fair it is mainly just Mariah and Wham, with any other Xmas songs being much lower currently - so it sort of indicates it’s not yet playlists dominating but people actively seeking out these two tracks on their own merit. Far too early anyway, but from the week after next it’ll be back to four weeks of charts based on the order of the Spotify Xmas playlist :manson:

Who usually gets a look in on that apart from the usual suspects? Lets hope for Cher this year!

Brenda Lee was definitely one who benefited from prime positioning a couple of years back.

I’m not sure what the go is with her, but I think this year her streams are currently being counted with other Xmas songs and thus excluded on Spotify - something to do with White Christmas taking all the streams… it’s very weird.

Who usually gets a look in on that apart from the usual suspects? Lets hope for Cher this year!

Increasingly it's been more US-centric 50's / 60's dross that Spotify have been prioritising - so I imagine we'll also get Bobby Helms, the Ronettes, loads of Dean Martin, etc.

I’m not sure what the go is with her, but I think this year her streams are currently being counted with other Xmas songs and thus excluded on Spotify - something to do with White Christmas taking all the streams… it’s very weird.

That's bizarre, and reeks of manipulation. It'll need to be resolved in a couple of weeks, or at least be plain for all to see.

Brenda is going to be #1 in the US and the lambs are freaking out. In fairness there does seem to be some riggery going on with Spotify playlisting etc. but there have been claims that white supremacy is behind it which strike me as a little extreme o_O O_o o.O O.o

I just wondered- will be Brenda come off ACR in the UK because she’s released a video? Surely that’s actively repromoting.

But then does another 7" vinyl and a first CD single for Wham! count as promotion?

OCC chart rules regarding resets
Screenshot_20231203_171611_Drive.jpg

I'm happy for that Brenda Lee Charts stan account on twitter, and NOBODY ELSE.

The record company has to specifically ask for a reset, so depends whether they’re bothered really.

We're just going to end up with record companies effectively choosing which song gets to #1 each year according to their whim, aren't we? Giving a reset to one and denying others gives it a huge advantage, and that's before you consider Spotify payola for better playlist positions and algorithm tampering.

Brenda got another week but looks like Mariah will be 🎶 back at number one 🎶 next week

So What Whatever GIF by Mariah Carey

Seven more weeks at #1 and she takes the record back from Lil Nas X 😍

Non-consecutive OBVIOUSLY but unless the rules change she’ll conceivably have the overall record by end of 2025

Brenda is predicted to reclaim Hot 100 #1 next week, but Mariah takes it this week.

And also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom