The Billie Ray Martin and Electribe 101 Chat Oasis

Ordered the CD off Normanrecords for £15.50 (the postage is a fiver if you can't pick it up in person in Leeds).

Gosh this is exciting.

I asked her on Twitter if she was going to be selling signed copies from her web store and she said no.

Amazon it is then!

To finally have Insatiable Love in HD after all these years and the second E101 album coming soon… truly I cannot even. That first album meant everything to me for a significant period of time and I was devastated when it all came to a premature end.

I feel like the BRM sync last year has really kicked her back into business.

I feel like Billie's story about Tom Watkins has got out of hand going on the 3 star Mojo review she's sharing on her socials (or her "misanthrops" as I'd like to think she calls them). Yes, he hated you when he thought you were just some sulky Peter Pan looking twink until he heard you open the heavens on the Jonathan Ross show with a bit of slap on, but did he really stop the 2nd Electribe 101 album? I mean in the words of PJ Harvey, come on Billie.

I almost cried listening to Electribal Soul. It's really genuinely SO GOOD!
And incredible to get something that is essentially a companion album to Deadline after all these years.

I was worried it was going to be a load of tossed off demos and odds and ends, but it's a fully realised piece of work.
I MUST order the vinyl. TAKE MY MONEY Frau Grumps :disco:

Roberto was gorgeous in his prime. I also can't believe I thought anyone called Roberto was German. Mine has arrived, but I'm watching Pieces of Her. Soon it will be Pieces of SorB when there's a body on the floor that looks like me (or a spilled plate of custard) as I get to hear the divine chills.

I almost cried listening to Electribal Soul. It's really genuinely SO GOOD!
And incredible to get something that is essentially a companion album to Deadline after all these years.

I was worried it was going to be a load of tossed off demos and odds and ends, but it's a fully realised piece of work.
I MUST order the vinyl. TAKE MY MONEY Frau Grumps :disco:
BRM's sometimes self-harming DOGGED DETERMINATION really has paid off in this instance. I initially wasn't sure whether it would just be those 24Kbps downloads I've previously found on Soulseek

BRAVO BRM! :disco:

E558285C-3CBF-48B8-8F2F-72AEBBAB3F34.jpeg

The sheer POWER of the vocals on Electribal Soul :disco: at some points (Space Oasis for example) it sounds like BRM is about to blow the rest of the band out of the studio via the force of her vocal strength :D :disco:

I could see this being my favourite BRM project when all is said and done. It's all so FOCUSED and concise.

Last edited:
I don’t really like a lot of the production on the DFMM album - to my knowledge, BT spent a year on it (which would have been very beautiful and glistening) only for Madame to decide she didn’t like it and re-do it herself - so this is definitely an improvement. Also she sounds particularly FRAUGHT on the Alternative Version :disco:

To these ears, and for production reasons, Electribal Soul is the companion piece to Electribal Memories rather than DFMM. Insatiable Love is my main standout but then it was always going to be :disco:

I'm still on the floor listening. Shovel me up and throw me in a skip, I'm done. Well actually, I'm not done, I'm on True Moments (Queen of recycling).

Have you ever tried to just write a regular meaningless pop song?

I knew a couple of artists on the commercial side who were looking for songs. I tried to help them with that and I didn’t really enjoy it at all. It’s not that I couldn’t handle it, I just thought “Rather them than me.”

What a brilliant interview. Sad to hear about the Deadline rights.

I've read this interview a few times, she speaks so well and is so interesting to listen to.

This bit made me a bit :(

My new albums will have a limited audience, but I’m 100,000 times happier than I’ve ever been. If my audience increases, hurray, but [so what] if it doesn’t? The people who listen to me really matter to me. I lost the idea of “Why aren’t I listened to by more people?” a long time ago. Once I dropped that, it was some major baggage gone. Over the years, I’ve dropped more expectations. I couldn’t give a shit if blogs write about me or not.

Great that she's let that baggage go, but - despite her success - I can still sense her frustration (deservedly you know, being able to sing LIKE SHE CAN) and all.

Persuasion is a violation :disco:

Call it revenge for being bottled by the Depeche Mode fans, it's everything Violator ever wanted to be. A glittering, gory prize from Madame Morbid.

I said it in another thread, but I DO WISH she'd just tidy her (seemingly endless for somebody that's released just two solo albums proper :D ) discography up a bit and make it easier for re-evaluation and DISCOVERY.

All the component parts are THERE, she's a LIVING LEGEND, it's just not quite presented in the correct way at present :D

Their cover of Persuasion is TANTALISING.

It sounds like a sample of Rocksteady Crew and I'm INTO IT.

Don't the heavens just open up on that Deadline intro? The happiness and the loneliness - this song doesn't know the distinction anymore. I've always sensed Billie has never been happier. It's 6 minutes of goosebumps, torment and euphoria.

"There's a body on the floor that looks like me". She makes it rather embarrassing for everyone else here quite frankly. Exquisite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom