Altered Images - Mascara Streakz

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
Not quite sure where to put this, but I imagine a significant proportion of the people interested in Clare Grogan in 2022 will be homosexuals of a certain age. I first heard this coneback single a couple of weeks ago and was distinctly underwhelmed, but since then it has revealed a synthy pop loveliness which feels like a natural extension of the twinkly production of a lot of the Bite album, and also reminds me of Charlotte Gainsbourg's Sylvia Says.

Album of the same title coming in August. Not sure what appetite there is for Altered Images now - she/they always seemed pretty low on the bill of 80s festivals, but with possible Radio 2 support and a fair wind I don't see why they couldn't make a minor chart dent.

Last edited:
I first heard this coneback single a couple of weeks ago and was distinctly underwhelmed, but since then it has revealed a synthy pop loveliness which feels like a natural extension of the twinkly production of a lot of the Bite album, and also reminds me of Charlotte Gainsbourg's Sylvia Says.

I initially read this typo as CRONEBACK and thought you were being awfully catty about poor Clare. :D

Anyway this is nice, but obviously it's no Don't Talk To Me About Love :disco:

That z and the artwork weren't very enticing in the first instance but the new single is actually really good.

Bernard Butler is involved with some of the songs on the album, including one called Disco Ball which apparently sounds like Kylie. Probably only his second most random collaboration of the year.

This is the Butler cowrite/production:

Bernie indulging in some glorious camp frippery.

Clare got all dressed up for an evening's solo frugging on the beach.

This is really good though, it is a tune and the lyrics are lovely. Radio 2 should be all over it.

Another good new song... false fade alert:

Four star review from Mojo. I've bitten for the album on CD (with signed photo of Clare).

I obviously haven't had a chance to listen to the album yet, but top of my Release Radar is this full on banger:

Clare is really doing it for the gays this time around.

Hopefully she can hang on for top 40.

I’ve listened a couple of times, it’s quite good but I don’t love it. It feels a bit samey and could do with a bit more personality, to me anyway.

I haven't actually streamed the album yet. My Amazon order has an expected delivery date of 7th September to 4th October for some reason.

That feels like a fair result for them, I don't think they had a particularly high profile promotion-wise or much in the way of radio play.

Though they might have charted a little higher if Amazon had fulfilled pre-ordered items week of release :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom