Aly & AJ - Pretty Places & album A Touch of the Beat...

RJN

User
OK guys me and Fetch have been doing the lord's work here but i'll need some of enthusiasm from OTHERS AMONG Y'ALL for this record.

After 2/3 listens in full it's already revealing itself in stunning ways. @POP! @jivafox @Tisch @Iguana @Gangsta Nancy Lam @RJN and others who love 90s singer songwriter types, there's so much nutrition you will devour here - in particular the confessional back quarter of the album, Personal Cathedrals (A SONG TITLE!) and Hold Out, will be right up all of your allies.

Lucky to Get Him is also serving a gorgeously unexpected hybrid of folksy midtempo and Carly Rae Jepsen banger. I saw @monsta stanning on insta but we been knew queen has taste - the rest of y'all, get streaming!!!

I haven't listened yet but I do love them so I need to. And then I can show the appropriate enthusiasm

FetchFugly

closing in again
I can't believe they're doing 20 European dates :D the way we won! now just make the beautiful vinyl available here and I'll stan forever. (apparently they said on ig they're making it happen!)

That's good news. The deluxe vinyl does look stunning but the regular would do for me, all that flipping and changing the 45rpm is a bit unnecessary.

Stomach is the one today. Slightly agog that Aly's husband chipped in with the 'I just can’t stomach being your ex-wife'.

monsta

CAUGHT YOUR FEVER
Well the presale was a shambles but by doing a lot of digging I found a link and I can’t quite believe I’m going to see them!

RJN

User
I feel like I’m in California :disco:

well not really but this album is really good. Especially stomach, which is very much my fave on first listen

Jark

gave ur love away
it's such a top down road trip record. some parts of Pretty Places actually do remind of California from The OC soundtrack. :disco:

POP!

Running on stardust
I feel like I’m in California :disco:

well not really but this album is really good. Especially stomach, which is very much my fave on first listen
I like this one a lot too. Generally speaking, I've never disliked a song they released but I find them a bit SAMEY

Jark

gave ur love away
@POP! if you give the album a few chances I promise you will love it. there's actually quite a bit of variety to it. more electronic flourishes than I'd expected.

Alex

When it all falls down, gotta build it better
Hadn’t really paid any attention since the AMAZING Joan of Arc on the dancefloor but just given this album a go and is really enjoyable !

RJN

User
@POP! if you give the album a few chances I promise you will love it. there's actually quite a bit of variety to it. more electronic flourishes than I'd expected.

I agree with this. I've listened 3 times now and a lot of the songs are definitely growers.

Current top 3:

1. Stomach
2. Personal Cathedrals
3. Paradise

Jark

gave ur love away
Lost Cause (very Golden Hour) and Paradise are creeping up on me to tug at my wig this week. this album is SO DIVINE!

11 Pretty Places
09 Lost Cause
08 Break Yourself
11 Slow Dancing
10 Paradise
11 Symptom of Your Touch
10 Lucky to Get Him
10 Listen!!!
09 Don't Need Nothing
09 Stomach
08 Personal Cathedrals
08 Hold Out

I really don't know what could top it for album of the year.

Last edited:

FetchFugly

closing in again
The cover of The National's I Need My Girl has been added to Spotify:

So good to see them performing to a huge festival crowd:

I still haven't sprung for a physical as I am waiting to see what the situation is with the deluxe that they somewhat ridiculously talked about before they even released the album.

FetchFugly

closing in again
A nice late summer refresh, though the beefed up chorus compared to the very chill verse was a little jarring at first:

Jark

gave ur love away
who is that on the cover and what has she done with Aly?

Jark

gave ur love away
yeah it's clearly a different sonic direction (more Ten Years) and I like the production but not obsessed with the chorus yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom