Amazing Melfest songs that finished 5th in their semi - a thread

It truly is the CURSE of the B-Grade Blonde it seems. :(

But to open with arguably the most egregious example

I have been obsessed with this the past few weeks, and was amazed it crashed out. Until I finally saw the video and everything made sense.

Reactions: VoR
Same year - not really one of the best SONGS to finish 5th in fairness, but absolutely my all-time favourite 'Globen or bust' reaction:

How it started:

How it's going:

7a20f742-5c42-4312-b373-88723f43f64d

Last edited:
Caroline Wennergren's return was also so much better than her horrid drivel first time round - and of course it finished 5th:

Sometimes, I will genuinely just be walking down the street when, out of nowhere, I will be gripped by the urge to randomly scream out 'YES JESSICA!' at the nearest passerby.:disco:

Poor Dinah Nah (39).

But God knows what she thought with the middle 8 RAP and recreating Selma's "If I Had Your Love" choreo. She basically ASKED TO BE FIFTH. :(

From the very first year of heats, I quite liked this nice soulful performance, simple but lovely:

Reactions: VoR
Same year - not really one of the best SONGS to finish 5th in fairness, but absolutely my all-time favourite 'Globen or bust' reaction:

How it started:

How it's going:

7a20f742-5c42-4312-b373-88723f43f64d

There's also this shot of her post-show reaction from afterwards when Aftonbladet interviewed the acts which seems like something straight out of Drop Dead Georgous:
acd45409-aea5-4a06-ae55-bb16b7f52949

Reactions: Hak
I would be fascinated to find out whatever happened to those MF acts who crashed out in 5th (and to an extent even 6th), in the earlier years anyway. I know most came back and do better nowadays and maintain a good career (like Klara H, Charlotte or Anis don Demina) but it seems in the earlier years, that unless you missed out by a narrow margin of were established enough in the Swedish music scene, going out in 5th seems like it ended quite a few careeers (or caused their fanbase to fall anyway). It's a miracle Jessica Andersson avoided this in 2006.

SOMEONE GET NETFLIX ONTO THIS.

Reactions: Hak
This remains a spectacular pop song:

Yes, that’s an understated gem! Had she somehow finished 4th in what was already the weakest SF by some distance I’m sure her career trajectory would’ve been something completely different. In 2013 Bengtzing woke up and realised she’s gotten stuck in a dying fold and decided to finally break free from Bert’s filthy reach to choose her own path. By staying true to her desperate nature and positioning while injecting some of her life essence and own music taste she unveil her true self.

And got firmly rejected by the Swedish audience.

Since then she’s been crawling back on her knees to try get back into our good graces, each attempt being more distressing than the last. If this goes on for much longer she’ll not be more then a wretched wrath with a slithering whisper, echoing “Yes, I wanna do it!” to whatever “granddaughter’s 5yo birthday party” gig she’s offered.

Mind you she’s an excellent TV host. It’s shame she hasn’t yet been offered to at least co-lead one MF SF to date!

Last edited:
Since then she’s been crawling back on her knees to try get back into our good graces, each attempt being more distressing than the last. If this goes on for much longer she’ll not be more then a wretched wrath with a slithering whisper, echoing “Yes, I wanna do it!” to whatever “granddaughter’s 5yo birthday party” gig she’s offered.

I do think that Alla Mina Sorger was a step back in the right direction, however.

Although that didn't even manage to come 5th :(

I really loved SaRaha as well and her journey to the final was the feelgood story of the year, I just wish it hadn't happened at the expense of Smilo and Isa.

I don’t know - I didn’t mind the song but always felt there was something problematic about a Swedish woman having a go at Afro-pop.

I always thought Anna Sahlene was the tubby one with the slack jaw from Killing Me Tenderly. Didn’t realise she was the other one :o

she sang Runaway in Eurovision 2002 for Estonia and came 3rd!

she also sang We’re Unbreakable in Melfest 03 and came 5th by the smallest margin of votes ever - 60 odd!

And then 5th again in 2006 :(

Etymon is a decent bit of Paparizou-lite, but it was woefully ill-suited to Sonja.

I do think that Alla Mina Sorger was a step back in the right direction, however.
Maybe, if you consider only beating a "the stand-in grandpa" with 3 days preparation time "a step in the right direction".

No. At least Killer Girl had some sort of direction and thought behind it, however desperately misguided it might've been. With 'Alla Mina Sorger' she jumped the gun and said yes to half a song with no concept nor purpose for her participation.

Going by the interviews she gave at the initial press conference it's obvious she was just there to fill SVTs 'Schlager-adjacent Swedish song' quota. Although Karin and Christer actually tried nudging her in the right direction:
"It was not in my plans to enter this year. I even tried to play a bit coy when they requested my participation... for about 2.5 seconds. Karin wrote to me and offered me the song and I replied "Sounds interesting, I'll be in touch." and after pressing send I just immediately panicked thinking they might chose someone else and wrote 'I love it! Oh, I want it! Do you want me??' and then it became dreadful as it took them an eternity before they wanted me and we struggled to rewrite the text several times. It was actually Christer and Karin who got me to understand that my lyrics needs a tough subject and story, that's my brand. But now we've finally got it!"

"After struggling with the lyrics for a while I was just sick of it. Half of the song is actually from a "fuck off mail" to the other songwriters that I was going crazy. Let's just write something about 'let's get out to have some fun and party' and stuff like that. From that we got a good chunk of the lyrics."

"I have no idea about how costumes or the number will look because when I had my first production meeting with SVT, the song wasn't finished. So that stresses me out a bit."

Then this from Linda's twitter:
Memory from this year's Mello, 20 minutes before I go up on stage the record company manager blurts out; "You're really going on stage to perform a proper shit song once again??" The hype is real.

She went on stage performed the shit out of a half decent song with no label backing.

And that's how the 'Killer Girl' became the 'Filler Girl' :shy:

Last edited:
I hate to agree but I do. Alla Mina Sorger was a really weak song. I understand in her position she's never going to say no to a Melfest gig, but she should have held out for something stronger.

I profoundly disagree that Alla mina sorger was in any way a step in the right direction (let alone "a step back in the right direction" :evil:). Killer Girl did badly but 100% understood and conveyed the entire point of Linda Bengtzing in a way Alla mina sorger didn't (and while more unappealing to the public than Ta mig, I'd say Killer Girl still fitted her brand values far better - though I only think that in the sense she should have brought more of herself to Ta mig as a song).

This is also the thing - on what planet can Linda not bag one of the dansband tracks they're always looking to get one or two of in each year? The point of Linda Bengtzing is not that she's the greatest artist of all time. The point of Linda Bengtzing is that she's the most fun you're ever having in your life dancing at the most joyous and carefree party you've ever been to in your life and also at the same time oh my god you just know those lottery numbers are going to roll in tonight you can feel it

The point of Linda Bengtzing is that she's the most fun you're ever having in your life dancing at the most joyous and carefree party you've ever been to in your life and also at the same time oh my god you just know those lottery numbers are going to roll in tonight you can feel it
Preach sister :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom