Amazing Melfest songs that finished 5th in their semi - a thread

Maybe, if you consider only beating a "the stand-in grandpa" with 3 days preparation time "a step in the right direction".

No. At least Killer Girl had some sort of direction and thought behind it, however desperately misguided it might've been. With 'Alla Mina Sorger' she jumped the gun and said yes to half a song with no concept nor purpose for her participation.

Going by the interviews she gave at the initial press conference it's obvious she was just there to fill SVTs 'Schlager-adjacent Swedish song' quota. Although Karin and Christer actually tried nudging her in the right direction:

Then this from Linda's twitter:
Memory from this year's Mello, 20 minutes before I go up on stage the record company manager blurts out; "You're really going on stage to perform a proper shit song once again??" The hype is real.

She went on stage performed the shit out of a half decent song with no label backing.

And that's how the 'Killer Girl' became the 'Filler Girl' :shy:

Poor Linda. The song was pleasant (and I did end up playing quite a lot) but just not right in any way for her MF return, and the half arsed staging said it all.

I completely agree that it should not be that hard to come up with a suitable Bengtzing vehicle. Hello Arvingarna's entry this year or Mot mi i Gamla Stan.

It's been ten years and I genuinely think about this 5th placer and it's GENUINELY APPALLINGLY INAPPROPRIATE lyrics all the time :D

Reactions: Hak
Even in potato quality this remains ASTONISHING

Oh my life, what was this ALL ABOUT? Who was she? :D How did she get selected for Melodifestivalen?
It's like Team Rocket meets Rita Repulsa. Who was supposed to vote for this? WHERE IS SHE NOW! :D

SO many questions about how this suicide-bomber ANTHEM came to be performed in a national final. BIZARRE!

Last edited:
Oh my life, what was this ALL ABOUT? Who was she? :D How did she get selected for Melodifestivalen?
It's like Team Rocket meets Rita Repulsa. Who was supposed to vote for this? WHERE IS SHE NOW! :D

SO many questions about how this suicide-bomber ANTHEM came to be performed in a national final. BIZARRE!
OMG thank you VoR, such a forgotten gem! I Googled her and she was less than 2000 votes away from qualifying against much more famous opposition.

Her Wikipedia reads:

She was approached by the BBC to compete in the UK Eurovision selection event 2009; she declined the offer.

In 2009, Nina participated in Melodifestivalen 2009. She finished in fifth place, short of qualifying for the final and second chance round. She has since been working on material for an album due to be released some time during August, and has expressed a desire to return to Melodifestivalen.

This year really marked the return of the great classic fifth placer, recent years have been really slim pickings. I did love this from last year and would take it over Frida Green every time:

Alla Mina Sorger >>>>>> Ta Mig >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killer Girl

Obviously her golden era of 2005 to 2011 dumps on the lot of them from quite a height, but for reasons only he knows, Christer just does not want that kind of thing from Bengtzing in the contest anymore, and I've long given up hope of it ever happening again for her. :(

With Alla Mina Sorger, she was at least given a decent melody to run with. Which was a step up from the previous two entries she had been tasked with.

I thought Alla Mina Sorger was a total SAD SACK of an entry and performance tbh, even the audience seemed to be willing for it be over :D / :(

Ta Mig however is an absolute mature BEAUTY of an entry. That final minute where the backing singers come in and stand still in front of the wind machine whilst the music builds is absolutely MAGICAL! Alas it was clearly too subtle to work at MF.

Reactions: Hak
Notable for being one of the best uses of a guitar in ESC history;
setting the stage and lowering your expectations then BAM! Schlagerified line dance! Complete with ropey key change easily covered up with plenty of enthusiasm and 'Wooh's thrown in at the right places :disco:

Last edited:
This year really marked the return of the great classic fifth placer, recent years have been really slim pickings. I did love this from last year and would take it over Frida Green every time:

Still annoyed/bitter about this getting 2ND IN TELEVOTE and yet got screwed over and crashed out because younger demographics can't appreciate emotional songs unless sung by some Bieber/Ed Sheeran wannabe, it's a different story. :(

It's kind of a shame this understated sweet gem got put against Charlotte, Linda, Nordmann and Sibel. I think if it had been in any other heats that year, it could've reached the AC part of the competition at least.

It's been ten years and I genuinely think about this 5th placer and it's GENUINELY APPALLINGLY INAPPROPRIATE lyrics all the time :D

His career was all but over at this point wasn’t it? I do wonder what the thinking behind this was. I don’t think the song was ever going to reignite a fading career. He really should have done better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom