Amazon UK to stop accepting Visa credit cards from 2022

Ellie

Super talented triple threat

Well that throws a bit of a spanner in the works. I will probably keep my Prime for the video service subscription using a debit card, but will be seeking alternative places as my default online shopping experience.

I very rarely use my CC, so no biggie for me, but still that's gonna cause some issues.

I presume this is more Brexit fallout.

I think most people are generally on MasterCard credit cards than Visa credit cards these days.

Santander recently switched its debit card services to Mastercard after decades with Visa. I wonder if there's more to this story than just Amazon pulling out.

Well, this is fairly clearly a negotiating tactic on Amazon's part. Reduced fees agreement incoming.

First Direct switched to MasterCard last year also. First time I’ve ever been on MasterCard. Not quite sure what the visa fallout is?

American Express have always charged retailers fees and I always thought they were the most expensive, but they’re still being supported?

So many places used to not accept Amex because of their fees. Then wasn’t there some change of law years ago about unwarranted card fees? It might have been for consumers and not retailers, I can’t remember the specifics.

Anyway, I imagine lots more UK banks may be switching their allegiance to Mastercard soon if this doesn’t sort itself out.

As far as credit cards are concerned I have a Barclaycard (Visa), Jaja (Visa), and Tesco Bank (Mastercard). Fairly sure Tesco was Visa when I opened it though and it changed.

This thread has has just prompted me to close the Jaja one though. And I ought to close the Tesco one as I never use it, but I think it's linked to my clubcard, so I'd better check out how that will be affected before doing that.

So many places used to not accept Amex because of their fees. Then wasn’t there some change of law years ago about unwarranted card fees? It might have been for consumers and not retailers, I can’t remember the specifics.

Anyway, I imagine lots more UK banks may be switching their allegiance to Mastercard soon if this doesn’t sort itself out.
Yes, I remember when I first applied years ago that Amex wasn't particularly widely accepted in the UK - and probably Europe as well, as I'm sure I originally got a credit card to make travelling in Europe easier.

Fairly sure Tesco was Visa when I opened it though and it changed.

Tesco changed to Mastercard when they finally split from RBS.

Visa are a shower of bastards and were shown up as such last year when they sided with the airlines and wouldn't process chargebacks for cancelled flights until they were put under exceptional duress. That's why credit card companies are moving away from them; customer demand.

Tesco changed to Mastercard when they finally split from RBS.
That makes sense then. I've had all three of those credit card accounts well over a decade, probably two. Tesco is the only one that never changed. My Barclaycard was previously Egg, and my Jaja card was Marbles when I opened it, then a Post Office card, and now Jaja.

The amount of credit I had across all three was ridiculous, compared to my salary. I can see why they were rapped for irresponsible lending.

Going back a couple of years they upped the minimum payment didn't they, as some people who were only paying the minimum were going to take literally decades to pay it back. I noticed a few weeks ago that if people were forced into debt by that, they can now apply for compensation. It seems to be the new PPI.

I have Visa and MasterCard TOO but I have to say most of my Amazon purchases are on the DEBIT card anyway. Only LARGER purchases on CREDIT.

I DON'T KNOW why I'm RANDOMLY capitalising. Maybe I just mISS @Zu 2

• Care
Reactions: COB
The amount of credit I had across all three was ridiculous, compared to my salary. I can see why they were rapped for irresponsible lending.

Credit limits are definitely a bit more sensible these days. Even Barclaycard has dialed it down a bit.

I treat my credit card like a debit card anyway. Have never paid a penny of interest and just pay it off every month - helps that my first full time job was for a debt collection company so I learned very fast. It’s just easier for online security, consolidating payments and getting reward points.

Well I expected this, but not before I signed up for a Mastercard just in case :square:

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

More silicon valley chest beating!

They're worse than the politicians!

Because of course it's been resolved. Watch out for more Bezos dick-swinging soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom