An Erasure Thread

VoR

Take it or leave it
Erasure have always been a massive blind-spot for me beyond the big hits, but now that I've blasted through the entire Pet Shop Boys discography I decided to add them to my little 'full back catalogue listening' project.

Started with Wonderland this week, which TBH I found a bit CHEAP AND TINNY for the most part. Andy's vocal stylings don't help the feeling that it's all a bit 'Yazoo scraps and B-sides'.

But I'll persist as I'm aware they hit their prime a few albums later.

Good luck!

I had a similar Erasure exercise a couple of years back, and discovered they really are a singles act. Their "First 20 Hits" remains the best and most consistent hits collection any artist has ever put out (I'm not even exaggerating), and there are still a few gems scattered through the 90s and 00s. But there were only a very small handful of keepers amongst the album tracks - Hallowed Ground being my prime pick.

If "CHEAP AND TINNY" isn't your thing, you're going to find it hard work :(

Played The Circus tonight end enjoyed it a lot more. The album tracks are still mostly filler, but definitely a step up from Wonderland, and the four singles really are top notch.

This remix of Victim of Love that sounds like it's about to kick into Better The Devil You Know at any moment is quite the treat.

The Innocents was a lot of fun. The three singles are real imperial era stuff, and the album tracks had their moments too, although I could have done without Yahoo!

I've always loved Ship Of Fools - I think it might be my top Erasure hit.

OT: For a band as popular as they were, their videos are generally REALLY FUCKING BORING, aren't they?

Remember they were on an indie label throughout their career. They rarely had money spunked on them.

I never liked them as much as the PSB but they were a great singles band. The only studio album I owned at the time was Chorus, but I’ve grabbed a few second hand vinyls since and enjoyed muchly.

Despite them being a band whose imperial era is way above the rest of their output generally, my favourite song remains the latter day hi-nrg romp “Don’t Say Your Love Is Killing Me”, but only just over so many of those magnificent 80s and 90s singles.

My top 5 Erasure albums:

1. I Say I Say I Say
2. Chorus
3. Erasure
4. Wild!
5. Nightbird

My dad would play Erasure all the time. I have memories of having them on in the house or on car trips. I might give them a listen today

I distinctly remember the Chorus album (based on the artwork) but looking at the tracklist I don’t recall any by the titles.

What’s the one about fishes in the sea?

Wild felt like a bit of a lesser work in between their two big blockbusters. Still very good, but I've never been a huge fan of Star or You Surround Me, which feel like two of their weakest singles from that imperial run they had (Star in particular is very thin).

Album track-wise not much jumped out. Crown of Thorns was quite interesting. La Gloria was... something, but not something I think I ever want to subject myself to again. :D

Blue Savannah and Drama though! Both total 11/10 moments, for very different reasons.

God these videos really are all SO SHIT. :D They must have been bringing in a fortune at this point - they could have given them SOMETHING!

That's very sad. 53 is no age at all. I wonder if this is part of why Clarke made his solo album and it was a sombre affair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom