Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

FetchFugly

Pregnant
Fresh from stealing the show on Late Night Feelings, the lead single from the album of the same name:

Good until the extended instrumental break comes in with synths and sinister strings, then it really kicks into something special.

just listened to this and it's brilliant. angel olsen up.

I'll need to give her another go - I see she went straight to no 1 on Bandcamp on pre-orders.

ha. i'll have to hear the whole album before i commit to that kind of temperature.

Last edited:
Well this is impeccable, and a very welcomed change in style.

I think the video put me off - the imagery is so hackneyed. Without it, the song fairs better but it sounds as if it'll need its position on the album to really work. Which is fine, of course.

i know what you mean about the videos, but i really like the songs and appreciate her take on familiar things, i find it unique despite seeing references.

still not sure what i make of lark. it confuses me a little and i really like that about it.

I'm certainly the most interested in her that I've ever been so she's hitting me somewhere.

I think I'd enjoy that more as an instrumental tbh. Those strings are incredible.

What an album! What a revelation. What a welcome awakening from that horrific Lana Del Rey fever dream.

I was prepared for a stark, high drama record full of Hitchcockian strings and bizarre song strctures, and well there certainly is all of that, but it's by no means the excessively artsy slog I was expecting. Shades of Scott Walker, The Shangri-Las, so many old school melancholy crooners on the last two tracks. The best strings in the game - that outro on "Tonight"!. Amazing lyrics. She has it all. Rather embarrassed that I thought she was kind of shit pre-Ronson - was she?

I'm really enjoying the album too - the overall sound is appealing and very absorbing. Whilst there is some common territory with LDR, "All Mirrors" isn't as languid (or, less politely, stoned) and therefore sustains its energy. Gimmie another month with it.

still haven't gotten round to this but here's some live slayage.

I've only given it the one listen so far but I wasn't completely taken with it as a whole. My Woman was much more immediate.

Admittedly I don't think the walk to work was the ideal setting so I will give it another go.

I've only given it the one listen so far but I wasn't completely taken with it as a whole. My Woman was much more immediate.

Admittedly I don't think the walk to work was the ideal setting so I will give it another go.

i feel like i need to be in a mood to put it on.

It's definitely not a morning album. Or one for being sober.

"Chance" is an easy way to move into the album, and such a great song.

Taking a wee break from this as it's very intense and I actually played all four Perfume Genius albums yesterday so this really could undo me coming on the heels of that.

I have been trying SO HARD to get into this album, but it’s such a strong time for music at the moment Caroline Polachek/Orville Peck/Michael Kiwinuka/FKA Twigs/Floating Points are all stealing my attention instead :D (see also: lack of time to invest in new Nick Cave, Sturgill Simpson, Chromatics and King Princess albums).

However I do feel like I am missing out on a genuinely exciting album campaign here, so will try a bit harder to pay attention. I think perhaps that the first track on the album is initially quite abrasive and difficult isn’t helping matters.

Predictably I’ve now started to gel with this a bit more. I still find Lark very much a difficult album opener depending on my mood :D

I really like both videos and think they suit the songs really well - particularly All Mirrors, why do you all hate them :D

Oh my - following my JOURNEY OF RESPONSES in this thread, I can now confirm:

- I absolutely LOVE this album now, I think it’s a work of absolute genius and far-outclasses any of her previous material.
- I have absolutely no problem with the sheer DRAMA of Lark as the opening track any more :D
- That All Mirrors remix is of course :disco: REMIX ALBUM PLEASE!
- Chance breaks my heart - that outro :(

i just put the whole album on. it's still tremendous and yes, lark is a bit of a crazy opener.

cover art apart, this album is absolutely flawless.

NEW ALBUM ALREADY (sort of)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDMRH4fJxdD/

The press release says it’s NOT the demos for All Mirrors, but the alternate versions that were mentioned around the time of release.

I THINK I’m here for it, but the dramatic change in tone was what interested me in All Mirrors, I hope this isn’t the same album but indie-fied to sound like her albums prior to All Mirrors (as I’m not all that into them personally..!)

I had been wondering about this, if not exactly eager for it. Whilst All Mirrors is a breathtaking album, it's also very challenging, and I really can't see stripping the songs of their spectacular strings improving that in any measure. I don't really understand the need to do this...

New song on Spotify - "Whole New Mess', it's nice but quite SIMPLE -

I am interested to hear alternate versions of the All Mirrors tracks tho, especially CHANCE. Not sure if I need a guitars version of Lark or All Mirrors especially, but time will TELL

She's releasing it with signed prints etc. the usual story. But I can't keep spending money on vinyl!!

OMG same! Vinyl is my achilles heel.

My intuition is telling me this album is gonna be a cute one to stream on Spotify, and I will pick the vinyl up once it’s released if I love it...you could still get the All Mirrors limited versions months after release, so I doubt this one will be all that different tbh

Yeah same especially as I just bought the Charli XCX orange vinyl and I was supposed to have stopped until pay day after TayTay & Kylie''s preorders. :zombie:

I'm enjoying the head in hands gloom of Whole New Mess but not that excited about an album largely made up of alternate versions.

GORGEOUS G O R G E O U S new song Waving, Smiling. Her voice really reminds me of Lykke Li on it -

I can see this easily being an all-time Angel fave. I'm far more taken with it than Whole New Mess.
Still interested to hear how this album turns out before purchasing the vinyl though :D

I’m really pleased she released this album, it’s a cute, chill girl. When she said “it’s not the demos for All Mirrors” though, she clearly meant it IS the demos for All Mirrors :D

The alt-version of Chance is gorgeous, but it should definitely close the album. What It Is as the last song is just JARRING!

On first listen I’m finding it quite hard to unhear the sweeping orchestral moments from All Mirrors on certain tracks. Still glad she released it - an interesting oddity for sure.

I'm honestly QUITE GAGGED she/her label are trying to pass this off as a new album :D

It's really nice to listen to, but yeah. Pitchfork giving it a higher review score than the EPIC new albums from fellow alt-females Sevdaliza and Kelly Lee Owens is a bit of a :eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes: cough BIAS cough moment too.

still not entirely sure what the new "album" is all about but this tom petty cover is everything (that a song could be) to me.

ps what a cute moustache hh has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom