Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
FINALLY an Oscar film this year that didn't make me want to jump off a bridge!

This is a Danish movie nominated for Best Director and Best Foreign Film - but it should have been in Best Picture and Best Actor for Mads Mikkelsen too.

I really appreciated how even-handed this was. It wasn't all 'alcohol = bad', but it didn't shy away from the darker places it can take a person to as well. And while it definitely had a melancholy feel, there was some really hilarious stuff in the middle, and I found the ending really life-affirming and fun, even if it was (deliberately) ambiguous in terms of how I think it wanted you to feel.

Strong recommend.

I liked this but as someone who comes from a place without a drinking culture, I couldn’t help but be annoyed with them approaching their problems with “let’s try alcoholism to solve our ennui....and then oopsie that got out of hand”

I was especially galled

the one guy gets the kid with nerves buzzed so he can pass his test. Like that kid is screwed

I just don’t enjoy sloppy drunkenness so it’s not exactly the movie for me.

Reactions: VoR
I haven't seen it yet :o but I'm glad to hear that Vinterberg has returned to making decent films (The Hunt was good too though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom