AS7 E11 Variety Extravaganza

VoR

Take it or leave it
I think this pretty much sums it up :D

Why, why, why are they so allergic to just following through on a competition with clearly defined rules?!

Monet winning 3 stars for standing stock still and lip syncing was certainly a CHOICE. Shea just has no place in the top four at all having coasted through the season.

The talents were generally blah, I’d have rewarded Yvie and Raja just for doing something other than lip-syncing their latest mediocre single. They also actually had nice emotional moments too which I assumed might build to something but NOPE, because the world is apparently crying out for Shea Coulee to win this.

OH WELL

Watching Untucked now. Jinkx is clearly the only person who has any idea who Hanna Einbinder is :D

Well yes - I agree, I wish they could've just done it straight up - I get that it ups the ante if anyone could get through, but I really could've done without Shea in the top for a LipSync smackdown which she will probably win because Shea's entitled again. I thought AS5 was her Make a Wish season? Still, of the lip syncs this week hers was the best, and without the twist of 3 stars, I would have happily given her a win.

I haven't stanned Monet this season, or ever really, but she DID turn it this week - against a backdrop of bitterly ironic "variety" of drag songs, she did something really interesting that I hadn't seen from her or anyone else on Drag Race.

I like Raja a lot but she's been a bit half-arsed this season for the most part - that said, I really loved her talent and yeah I know how this show goes with the showing vulnerability, but that felt like a genuine touching moment.

Yvie just breaks my heart, and I did like the misdirect, but it feels like she's in a much happier place this season despite everything.

Jinkx, Trin, Jaida and Viv were there too.

Oh and what a crappy way to break the tie :D I mean it made sense for Trinity to get through over Jaida, but what a shitty way to get there.

I think I'm #teamtrin4thewin

Trinity having to rely on Monet’s munificence to make the final four when alongside Jinkx she’s basically dominated this season was another example of how stupid the lopsided scoring in this episode was.

Trinity having to rely on Monet’s munificence to make the final four when alongside Jinkx she’s basically dominated this season was another example of how stupid the lopsided scoring in this episode was.

I was going to come in her amused that so much airtime had been spent on the Twinner alliance, although apart from that crucial moment, none of their tactics made the slightest impact on the contest :D

Worth noting that Trinity came dressed as Kylie Live in New York

Well I’ll be disappointed if it turned out that she did, I thought she sounded great.

I appreciated that Raja did something different but all she did was look shocked and tipi toe around the stage. I’m sure the dance involved more.

At least the wins were justified. Shea served as Janft and we had no choice.

While I feel bad for Jaida, I think she stands a better chance of winning the 50k prize than the main one. So it might work out for her.

It really is like they have this preconceived idea of what viewers want and so shoehorn it through regardless but… all we actually want is the best people to be justifiably recognised.

How do they get to a ‘we can’t not have Shea in the top’ narrative? Look at Spotify streams or something?

Top 4 based on season performance should’ve been Jinkx, Trinity, Vivienne and one of fairly tied also rans

Such a waste having all these talented people and most of them just lip sync.

I thought Jinkx and Monet were live too. Were they definitely not?

Such a waste having all these talented people and most of them just lip sync.

I thought Jinkx and Monet were live too. Were they definitely not?
I've heard Jinkx perform live several times and it was up to that level

I don’t doubt Jinkx was live. Maybe they tidied Monet up in post but it sounded far too clean to be a live vocal.

But there was also no VARIETY! 5 mediocre lip syncs, one live vocal, one questionable live vocal and Raja waving some fans.

Last edited:
Nothing even topped Coco Montrese’s surrealist masterpiece.

ImpracticalLankyAustraliancattledog-max-1mb.gif

What a terrible build up to the finale. It’s already been said but I hate how it’s predestined that Shea has to be in the finale. The whole of AS5 was about it. It makes me think a lot less of her even when it’s not her fault. There will be such a backlash if they don’t crown Jinkx as the winner.

Monet was the winner of the episode for me.

And why wasn’t there any runway?

Monet wasn’t lipsyncing was she? I mean Viv had that whole thing of the vibrations going through her body

Opera is hard to tell, sometimes it looks like they’re miming just because the technique is different to a regular vocal.
And Monet isn’t that clean of a lip syncer

I thought Shea and Monet were deserving winners alongside Raja. It was a fun episode!

It was, and they did I Was Gonna Cancel during season 7 (Jasmine versus Kennedy I think?). Interesting choices considering Kylie's back catalogue!

I did not like Raja's and kept thinking there might be a cut-to of old Indonesian women in traditional costume popping balloons. However, the story really got to me and transformed my opinion of it. As a lovely memory it was 2nd to none, but apart from her gorgeous face it wasn't my top. I don't agree with Diddy's frankly horrible and hateful belief that she has been half-arsed though, but also missed the shot revealing what Rasbo cruelly remarked was a saggy arse, so perhaps I've missed something. She is a legend and if the Drag Race format and favours don't do her any that's not on her.

Monet was bankrupt on stage and whilst I admire the boldness of it, she was bottoming for anyone who would have her as far as I'm concerned. I mean, talk about serving a "that's nice dear" moment.

Shea was the top for me, but the presentation didn't hit the Unbreakable Janet spot like it should have (that wig and almost zero hairography?) As a track, it was quite superior to the Diane Warren dregs tossed off to Viv that was the dance track equivalent to pushing a flaccid penis through a glory hole and hoping for the best, and the same-old "snatch the crown" tracks from Trinity (good finale) and Jaida (good intro). I laughed most at Ru saying she can't wait to hear Viv's track that's been out for years now.

Whilst I feel for Yvie, she did say all those lines about walking in heels and the like on her original season. Short of pulling off her limbs, that was not it. Box reveal was good and the track still a step above the aforementioned catchphrase chaff.

On a Jinkxx note, I'm ultra excited to see her next month, but she's already cancelled a date so am nervous she'll do it again. However, I'm seeing her twice (opening and closing), but won't be re-booking in order to get my bookend experience again.

Well it's been a while since we had an almighty and deliberate All Stars rule fuck up that disproportionately ousts those performing well all season in favour of...well, Shea and Monet. Unless I'm forgetting some terrible twist in 5 and 6 that is. 3 and 4 were the worst for it. Although certainly the last two had questionable judging too.

Annoyingly I can't disagree with Shea (who was in her element) and Monet (impressive and offering something new if live and for once she didn't look a mess) being top 2, but was it not enough to let Shea have her second star and be done? Why 3 stars all of a sudden when it suits? I don't agree with Monet being in the final four either, much like she has no place being a previous winner full stop, but at least it would have felt more organic. As if Monet is better than most of these queens, I mean come on. Most of her looks are questionable if not extremely ugly. I did laugh at Michelle's "elegance sums you up Monet...no I'm joking" or something similar.

And then the actual fuckery of Monet picking Trinity when the latter has outshined the former and was technically on four(?) top 2 placings before Ru pushed over the jenga tower for fun/convenience. Goodness, anyone would think it's ALL MADE UP or something :eyes:

Presumably had things been left untouched we'd have had Jinkx/Monet/Trinity/Jaida top 4? So not a great difference but Jaida has been more consistent than Shea despite the roast fuck up (and ironically ending up about as equally funny as Shea and Monet because of it) and Trinity would have rightfully earned her place instead of the sham of being chosen. Trinity is somewhat basic but delivers what she does well. A few simple laughs are not to be sniffed at. Not everything has to be clever and elevated if it entertains.

Then the utter pointlessness of the plunger :D I can't be bothered to work out the result without that other than a top 2 of Jinkx and Trinity? And then Viv on three stars with Jaida and Monet?

I feel sorry for Viv, she was probably robbed in the roast, but given the horrific treatment of superior foreign queens in UK vs The World, it's a bit of an equaliser. Except tit for tat is not the ideal answer but then this is Drag Race. She'll surely do well out of this though and quite rightly. Possibly only beaten by Bimini in the UK as a great all rounder.

That said, her talent was the most clinical, cynical bollocks of them all. I agree with all of the above, these lip sync bangers with identikit lyrics and robot vocals are all very old hat. I think Yvie came out of that lot the best by far and she's more than held her own this season which makes me very happy. She seems delighted to be there. I suspect she has a good chance in that lip sync smackdown next week if it's not already preordained :eyes:

I've loved this season though, I can't be bothered to be annoyed at the meddling when it's this much fun and you only have to look at the profiles of ALL these queens to know it doesn't really matter all told. If you come out of drag race looking like you've been done over by production/Ru, then it probably works all the better for you so it that sense it's job done for The Viv.

Obviously if Jinkx doesn't win next week the whole set should be fire bombed though

I think without any fuckery it would’ve been Jinkx, Trin, Monet and the Viv, right? Viv, Trin and Jinkx all lost one to the plunger, and Jaida had a freebie star

Oh yeah I wasn't counting the freebie stars but yes you're right I think.

I'd have preferred Raja up there, even if she does often look as though she's been covered in glue and jumped in the pick n mix, equally she can look glorious and she's been high quality entertainment both in and out of the challenges every week.

I will say, when I said Raja was half-arsed this season, I guess I meant that when it wasn’t something she either was good at or wanted to do, it felt like she didn’t give a shit and took the episode off. But when she was good she was great

Pfffft Shea definitely sticking out like a sore thumb amongst that top four after a lacklustre season.

For once All Stars made some sense with having actual front runner making it to the final. But of course Rude Paul had to come and fuck it all up.

Also the absurdness of it all that technically Monet ended up with more stars than Jinkx :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom