Australia 2021: Montaigne - Technicolour

Are there any other travel restrictions in place that would likely see this repeated?

I presume production will be decent and it won't be too jarring to see these pre records.

Is it a travel restriction? Rita Ora is in Australia atm for The Voice, they’re letting celebrities (and Rita) in and out for entertainment-related things as long as they complete quarantine

Are there any other travel restrictions in place that would likely see this repeated?
I don't think so as they qualify as exempt for being "cultural and creative professionals". Had a quick look on the gov.nl site and they said there's a complete ban on flights from South America and South Africa, admittedly not Australia, but then the gov.au site says there's no flights anywhere except to NZ or if an exemption has been granted but doesn't go on to explain how one might get an exemption, so maybe Montaigne could have got one as a cultural creative professional?

So in summary who knows?

Last edited:
I don't think so as they qualify as exempt for being "cultural and creative professionals" or whatever they're calling them. Had a quick look on the gov.nl site and they said there's a complete ban on flights from South America and South Africa, admittedly not Australia, but then the gov.au site says there's no flights anywhere except to NZ or if an exemption has been granted but doesn't go on to explain how one might get an exemption, so maybe Montaigne could have got one as a cultural creative professional?

So in summary who knows?
Also her and her team would need to quarantine as well so it's probably more that than an outright admission that she's shit.

Also her and her team would need to quarantine as well so it's probably more that than an outright admission that she's shit.
Yes. My extensive 10 minute research this morning suggests she could get to NL if she was granted an exemption and presumably she hasn't been. I would've thought the EBU would have done everything to ensure the show is complete and doesn't have Australia-sized holes in its broadcast so I also presume there's more to it than just her odds/shitness. Probably the risk factor (rising cases, the potential difficulty of getting back into Aus?)

Oh it makes for a lovely excuse for doing a full McTernan though doesn't it

Oh it makes for a lovely excuse for doing a full McTernan though doesn't it
I'm not sure what that mean, but knowing Sarah the way I don't, I presume you mean something like opening a fois gras farm.

Plenty of celebs have come in and out over the last year and there are still flights going on. She’d be able to get there fine.

Her and the whole team would have to quarantine in a facility upon return though wouldn’t they, as it’s not an NZ flight? They may have decided that just isn’t worth it for all involved perhaps?

Poor love :(

Still bottom three in the semi though

It may be getting back into Australia that’s the issue. The flights are booked up months in advance by residents trying to return as they only let in a limited number of people each week.

It may be getting back into Australia that’s the issue. The flights are booked up months in advance by residents trying to return as they only let in a limited number of people each week.

I’d say that may be it. If it’s anything like NZ, you need to book quarantine slots several months in advance and it’s not guaranteed, it’s first in first serve when they release them. So they may well have missed the boat.

I really think it’s a budget issue. It’s been a controversy throughout the pandemic that celebrities/entertainers have been able to come in and out while “regular” Australians are held to much stricter rules - when Ed Sheeran was here recently for Michael Gudinski’s funeral, it was stressed he paid for all his own travel and quarantine (and of course he got an exemption that allowed him to do that quarantine on a luxury property instead of a hotel)

Basically what I mean is that things like hotel quarantine/caps on flights seemingly don’t matter here if you can pay your way out of them. If SBS had unlimited resources, they could pull an Ed Sheeran and make it work, but as a relatively tiny broadcaster, I imagine they just can’t

It makes sense, I wouldn't fly there just to perform in the semifinal. I wonder if some poor country will do this to save a fortune. I mean, some have to know they don't have a chance to make the final, so why bothering with quarantine, travel, accomodation and all that, when they can just send a video? We'll see.

In some ways this allows them/her to save face a bit on the very likely prospect of being Australia's first non-qualifier. We all know why it's (probably) going to bomb, but it feels like it can be used as a partial reason now, and then the next time it happens won't feel so significant.

...on the flip side, there could be some terrifying sympathy vote all round, but surely not. It's not in anyone's interest for the final to have a video performance in, especially if it's the only one, or one of a tiny few, they might deliberately try to limit it

I’m surprised he votes for anything

well at least it gave some gays a chance to shit on a Eurovision entry a bit more

Anyone who doesn’t vote for San Marino will be banned.

The announcement has been planned for weeks and was entirely based on the COVID situation and the hope that it would change

I'm sure if this had been a RED HOT FAVE like Dami Im they would have found a way to accommodate, even if it was just sending the performer over solo and the delegation being virtual :D

The logistics of spending FOUR WEEKS of the year in quarantine, plus the cost of sending 10ish (?) people over from Australia (at least £20,000 in terms of return plane fares ALONE) plus Technicolour's chances being likely less than DOA obviously signed, sealed and delivered the fate of this entry SLAM SHUT.

I'm curious to see how this will play out in the semi final. Surely it's reasonably likely it will just look like a bit of a WEIRD INTERLUDE :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom