09 Thief of Hearts
10 Words
10 Rain
08 Why's It So Hard
06 In This Life
(05 Did You Do It?)
09 Secret Garden

Last edited:
I don't think so. The electronic production is pure Erotica as are the watersports lyrical undertones.

That being said, it was the only track from Erotica to be included on Something To Remember (and the only one that could have been..) so it is definitely considered one of her mid-'90s ballads classiques.

That I agree with, but I meant it as a single. Visually it didn’t feel like an Erotica single either.

True but Rain underperformed in the UK and kinda sank until Something To Remember. It's also not really a tour favourite.

I also think that, given it's one of her best songs and, personally speaking, in her all time Top Ten, it's underrated for that, for me.

How did Rain underperform in the UK? It went top ten and spent three weeks there and outsold both Fever and Bad Girl which had preceded it.

11 Erotica
09 Fever
09 Bye Bye Baby
10 Deeper and Deeper
08 Where Life Begins
10 Bad Girl
10 Waiting
10 Thief of Hearts
07 Words
07 Rain
10 Why's It So Hard
06 In This Life
06 Did You Do It? (NO BRACKETS ON MY VERSION, BITCH)
10 Secret Garden

A 7 for "Rain" though?!

Sorry, it’s never gelled with me. I like it, I’ve never loved it. It was a boring single* at the time too, far too safe. I am sure I would love it more as an album track.

Should’ve been Waiting with a deliciously slutty video

Oh go on then

11 Erotica
09 Fever
09 Bye Bye Baby
10 Deeper and Deeper
09 Where Life Begins
10 Bad Girl
10 Waiting
10 Thief of Hearts
09 Words
08 Rain
10 Why's It So Hard
05 In This Life
06 Did You Do it?
10 Secret Garden

Sorry, it’s never gelled with me. I like it, I’ve never loved it. It was a boring single* at the time too, far too safe. I am sure I would love it more as an album track.

Should’ve been Waiting with a deliciously slutty video
I really wanted 'Thief of Hearts' as a single at the time. I even had a video treatment and EVERYTHING planned out...

Thief of Hearts is just glorious . What a video that could have had too. Jesus in fact what videos some of those non singles could have had .
Didn’t we get the Fever video about two months after the single .
And wasn’t Rain tied in with a Peugeot ad for the B side being Open Your Heart , I remember the promo sticker on the cd

Fever was released in the UK as the album version (edit) and the video was made for when the European remixed version was released, yes, about two months later.

Noted worldwide smash Bye Bye Baby getting the MTV VMA performance and the only person who knew the song was the rubbish gay wildly arm dancing in the crowd in his white vest

Fever was released in the UK as the album version (edit) and the video was made for when the European remixed version was released, yes, about two months later.
Yes that’s right . Got decent airplay on MTV, Carolyn Lilipaly AGOG

How did Rain underperform in the UK? It went top ten and spent three weeks there and outsold both Fever and Bad Girl which had preceded it.

I think I got it the wrong way around, it underperformed in the US. Maybe not compared to Bad Girl, but it's better than a #14 hit. Just IMO.

I lucked out going to Germany on a school trip just as Bye Bye Baby was released and bought 7”/12”/Cassette/CD and eventually sold each one for £50+

(note to loon fans: think they were all German, one may have been an import, but whatever, I made a bomb)

all this apathy toward In This Life hurts my heart. such a beautiful song and one of her best ever vocals.

I think I got it the wrong way around, it underperformed in the US. Maybe not compared to Bad Girl, but it's better than a #14 hit. Just IMO.

Even in the US it was a hit where Bad Girl was a massive flop and they didn’t even release Fever. To come back to a top 15 at that point wasn’t half bad.

Indeed. "In This Life" just PLODS and goes on and ON AND ON.

I think @lolly described 'Bad Girl' as plodding which I'd never. There's such an URGENCY to it!

Noted worldwide smash Bye Bye Baby getting the MTV VMA performance and the only person who knew the song was the rubbish gay wildly arm dancing in the crowd in his white vest
I LOVE the "Bye Bye Baby" Girlie Show Tour image single sleeve. One of my all time faves. With the retro font as well :disco:

Fiercely heterosexual Steve Blame still sniffing around backstage doing his news report for The Girlie Show (Niki Harris recycling her dressing gown from Material Girl BA performance bonus points )

Exclusive interview 1-on-1 with Kurt Loder

Even in the US it was a hit where Bad Girl was a massive flop and they didn’t even release Fever. To come back to a top 15 at that point wasn’t half bad.

True. But I remember back in the day being a big fan and talking to non Madonna fans and not many people remembered Rain or knew what it was. Always felt it deserved more. But again I say that just because it's in my best of the best list. I think these days the Madonna fans have respected Rain as one of her best.

True. But I remember back in the day being a big fan and talking to non Madonna fans and not many people remembered Rain or knew what it was. Always felt it deserved more. But again I say that just because it's in my best of the best list. I think these days the Madonna fans have respected Rain as one of her best.
#CWEJBOOKOFSTATS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom