Batgirl (formerly HBO Max, now DEAD)

COB

The ⭐ 👹
This is about to start filming in the next few days, in the world's greatest(/cheapest) stand-in for Gotham City... GLASGOW :scotland: Yes, after filming part of the upcoming Batman, Flash and Indiana Jones movies here, the decision was taken to film this upcoming DC Comics adaptation almost entirely in Scotland's largest city :shock: I'm mainly creating this thread to share set photos that crop up, as I love stuff like this happening in places I actually recognise. Here's a few early ones to get us started:

Starring Leslie Grace (as Batgirl/Barbara Gordon), Brendan Fraser, J.K. Simmons, and Michael Keaton as Batman :shock: Apparently premiering on HBO Max (and not in the cinema) later this year.

this could be good. the writer also wrote Birds of Prey, which is a little alarming...

• Wow
Reactions: COB
Birds of Prey was awesome

Glasgow Live will be FROTHING (once they get through 20 adverts)

• BOOM BOOM
Birds of Prey was awesome

I thought it was crap!
Moopy.gif

First photo of her in costume:
wk9i08alhrb81.jpg

It's very close to this version of her comics costume, which was very widely praised for being a rare example of a practical and not overly sexualised outfit for a female superhero:
f5a8a11c546491eb05056487a3ed59a9.jpg

Some nice photos of the set in Glasgow city centre:
I had a look around at the weekend, it was great being able to just walk around it all! Also one of the shops is normally a comic book shop, so I imagine this is extra nice for them to be part of this :D

I know where they're filming this weekend but I'm not sure whether it's an exterior shoot, if it is I'll probably go for a look :o

There are reports coming out that this film might have been completely shelved and will never be released anywhere, despite being complete :confused:

It seems to be down to the recent change in management at Warners Bros/their merger with Discovery. It's a shame, I think there should be a place for smaller-scale comic book movies with lower budgets... and obviously I was quite keen to spot all the Glasgow location work in this one, in particular.

It does seem insane to me that if everything's been filmed, they don't just bung it out on streaming anyway (even if they cut some effects shots, or spend less on them than they usually would have).

I don’t understand. If the movie is complete surely it makes sense to chuck it on streaming?

Reading more about it, apparently there was still quite a bit of effects work to finish. I thought it was complete as there had been test screenings, but I guess they do those with unfinished versions of films too :o

I believe it will eventually get released. This seems like a bad move when they keep saying it’s not the quality of the movie.

Also considering the shambles that is the DCU, they’re really not doing themselves any good. I believe The Flash is also done shooting, how are they going to release a movie when the star is a terrorist?

The directors have issued a statement:

I feel really bad for them, apparently they weren't told in advance and found out while in Morocco, where one of them was getting married :o

I've also seen some chatter about the reason the film was cancelled rather than finished on the cheap is so that it can somehow be claimed as a tax write off? Hollywood accounting strikes again...

Kathy from Nighty Night's Hollywood dreams shot down.

• Sad
This was the first I knew about her being in it, I bet she'd have been great :(

This could probably be spun into a separate thread, but it's related to the ongoing changes at Discovery/WB/HBO:

They're really turning away from streaming content and back towards theatrical films and linear TV, we'll see how it works out for them :o

Sounds like they thought HBO Max didn't take off like they thought it would, and now people are returning to the cinemas it might be quietly shelved.

I wasn't keen on Batgirl at first but casting Leslie Grace was a great move.

the HBO Max thing is really weird. for my money the library is better than Netflix and I'm paying €4 a month so I hope they at least keep it alive even if they're not producing content for it (and I need Gossip Girl to keep going!)

It's strange that HBO Max never launched in the UK in any way - I know that most of the actual HBO content is tied up in exclusivity deals with Sky, but they could have just called it something else and launched it here so people had access to all the other stuff (Warner Bros movies, DC, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim etc). No chance of anything like that now, I'm guessing!

The streaming bubble is bursting. But also HBO Max was always stupid branding, when they were competing with HBO and everyone getting confused about it.

Yeah, it was always a bit odd - for the longest time I thought it was just a service to watch HBO content, rather than all the various other WB brands as well.

I do hate how it's a good thing (HBO Max) merging with a shit thing (Discovery+) and it's the shit thing that looks to be coming off better?

I've seen speculation that HBO Max will cease to exist entirely and there'll just be a HBO tab on Discovery+. On brand recognition alone, HBO is a hallmark for HIGH-END PRESTIGE whereas Discover is, what? A Land Rover or Sky channel 283, or something. A ghastly business.

Also: I'd been looking forward to HBO Max finally launching over here in a few years time (when Sky's deal for HBO programming runs out) and saving me from the UTTER MISERY of 'Now TV'. If Discovery+ must now be my saviour, it needs to provide a better interface than the tat it served me when I had a free trial for the Olympics last year.

I hadn't realised just what a MASSIVE company Discovery was until they merged earlier this year (or Discovery bought AT&T, both seem to be accurate). I still find it quite baffling to be honest.

Is this a movie or a tv series? If TV then I’m glad they did because I don’t want to force myself to watching it. :)

Little Ellen? It was a series but there are already two seasons out there if you want to catch up :tongueout:

Batgirl was a movie, but was always intended to go straight to streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom