Being the Ricardos (Nicole Kidman as Lucille Ball)

Vote

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him

Didn’t know Lucille Ball had an Australian accent

This was perfectly watchable, and the irritating Sorkin-isms were at least less pronounced than on Trial of the Chicago Seven. But like Mank from last year's Oscar crop, I just found myself wondering why on earth this story merited being the focus of an Oscar-buzzy movie? It just wasn't all that engaging at all, and felt like it'd be better as part of a Lucille Ball mini series.

Kidman was decent, although as usual her accent was wandering all over the place. Also, and I hate to be that guy, but if you're going to make a film about a woman defined by the expressiveness of her face, Kidman just isn't the choice. Her static forehead was even more distracting than usual, particularly combined with the weird makeup job they do to make her look more like Lucille Ball, which ends up with her looking sort of like a vague sketch of a human being with none of the details filled in.

She and Bardem were also far too old for the roles, particularly in the flashbacks. The dye-job on Bardem in particular was nearing Nicholas Cage levels of ludicrous.

This is a more negative write up than the film probably merits, as it definitely did have its moments. I just didn't really see the point of it.

Definitely better than expected, I thought this was snappy and rolled along merrily. Nicole was good, especially in the black and white sequences, but there was some range there which was fun to watch. Nice turns from the female sit-com co-star too and the female writer.

However, there wasn't any sense of drama as the show was clearly going to carry on running anyway and not get shut down. I can't say I ever cared much about Desi and Lucy who seemed to be entirely passionless throughout and it all resolved itself in quite a happy clappy way amongst a group of people who seemed to loathe eachother for most of the runtime. Not as good as Chicago 7 but not the utter bomb it looked like it might be.

I can't see Nicole edging her way into that final 5 for Best Actress but if she does, she won't need to prepare a speech.

I don't think she'll win but the nomination is deserved. she was terrific and absolutely carried the whole thing. the hair and make-up was superb too.

I also liked the script but Sorkin is no director. so many scenes felt flat and lifeless and it had no visual flair either. it did get better as it went on - overall an enjoyable 7.

Also, and I hate to be that guy, but if you're going to make a film about a woman defined by the expressiveness of her face, Kidman just isn't the choice. Her static forehead was even more distracting than usual, particularly combined with the weird makeup job they do to make her look more like Lucille Ball, which ends up with her looking sort of like a vague sketch of a human being with none of the details filled in.
then don't. this obsession people have with whether Nicole can move her face (she can, and her acting is as superior as it has ever been) is beyond tedious.

It actively affected the performance though! Lucille Ball's facial expressions were literally her defining feature.

Finally watched this before the Oscar’s. Nicole is good and she was the most interesting thing about the movie.

The movie itself lacked a point of interest? The jumping back and forth did it no favors because half the time I couldn’t tell the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom