Belfast

*Van Morrison music sting*

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Kenneth Branagh's semi-autobiographical coming of age film about growing up in Northern Ireland during the troubles.

It's already getting a lot of blowback from Twitter film snobs for being the Oscar frontrunner that's the most obviously middlebrow and sentimental, but fuck'em, I loved it.

Yes it takes a very... broad view of the Irish troubles, and yes it's very twee in places, and yes SIX Van Morrison music stings was possibly a touch overkill. But that's clearly exactly what it's going for - who the fuck goes to a Kenneth Branagh movie for subtlety?

Great cast, loads of heart and soul, it made me laugh and cry, and it was NINETY SIX BLESSED MINUTES LONG.

I kinda hope it wins everything and pisses everybody off in the process.

Oh I found this insufferable. The kid is awful and the sets looked like they were made out of cardboard.

Also the bit where someone gifts baby Kenneth an Agatha Christie novel and the scene where he’s reading Thor made me roll my eyes (yes you did bad adaptations of both, nothing to be that proud of here).

The whole thing is just bland mush, just move to England love. It’s not that far.

I agree with @Phoenix - it's ghastly.

Plastic looking sentimental gloop with bland characters mooching around an all too obvious film set, with the occasional Dame Judi quip chucked in from the sidelines.

A decent director might have made something more of it, but with Branagh behind the camera, there's no hope.

Well I loved it. Had a fabulous little time with the family of characters and could have easily watched another hour. Loved the little boy.

Reactions: VoR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom