Best Ace Wilder entry?

What happened to my dreams and what happened to me? :(

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
It's quite remarkable how rapidly the wheels fell off for poor old Alice. From coming within 2 points of victory in 2014 to her much-hyped but underwhelming return in 2016, to a faintly sad appearance in 2017 in which she clearly had no budget whatsoever, barely scraped into the finals and subsequently all-but vanishing from public view. WHERE NOW, ACE?

That said, I do very much enjoy all three of her entries.

Busy Doin' Nothing (2nd 2014)

Don't Worry (3rd 2016)

Wild Child (7th 2017)

1. Don’t Worry
2. Busy Doin’ Nothin’ (I prefer it to Undo :D)

3. Wild Child

I voted for Wild Child because, despite the faint air of TRAGEDY, it does have a wonderfully Aqua-ish quality that I find personally irresistible.

Busy Doin' Nothing is definitely one of the bigger 'what if' moments in terms of Melfest runners-up, but given I very much doubt anything could have stopped the Conchita wagon, I'm glad they gave Sanna her shot after all those years.

Tough one.

I remember the excitement of when she came pretty much out of nowhere in 2014.

Didn't she have massive panic attacks ahead of the Don't Worry performance, which might explain why we haven't seen much of her recently?

It's quite remarkable how rapidly the wheels fell off for poor old Alice. From coming within 2 points of victory in 2014 to her much-hyped but underwhelming return in 2016, to a faintly sad appearance in 2017 in which she clearly had no budget whatsoever, barely scraped into the finals and subsequently all-but vanishing from public view. WHERE NOW, ACE?
this journalistic spin! :D

1. Busy Doin' Nothing
2. Wild Child
---
3. Don't Worry

I really can't get my head around some people having "Don't Worry" as their favourite, it sounds so limp in comparison to the other two for me.

Still gutted about her not getting the win in 2014, but Sanna coming 3rd at Eurovision helped ease the pain a little because there's no way Ace would've beaten Conchita or the Common Linnets, so at least we can't say that Sweden had a missed opportunity.

I like how the UK jury giving SAD OLD ACE a 12 with With Child is basically the reason why there isn’t a UK jury anymore unless we’re replacing dictatorships last minute :D

Reactions: VoR
In terms of notable Melfest ladies from the past decade, I definitely prefer Wicky and Mariette though.

"Don't Worry" is the weakest - by a MILE.

"Wild Child" is just a joyous pop song.

Last edited:
1. Wild Child

2. Busy Doin' Nothing

3. Don't Worry

I like them all, but Wild Child is miles ahead of the others. One of my most played songs of 2017.

In terms of notable Melfest ladies from the past decade, I definitely prefer Wicky and Mariette though.

Busy Doin' Nothing is my favourite from any of them, but if I were to rank the 10 entries that they've had between the three, Wiktoria would have the highest 'low'.

Should have won in 2014, should have won in 2015, and should have won in 2017.

Don't Worry is the best of the lot of them.

Wild Child is absolutely incredible pop and my favourite track of 2017 bar none, and Don't Worry is still great value and would've been a great entry. Busy Doin' Nothin' was very fun for the charts but obviously that never actually happened over here.

If we're going for what if's, I'd have kept Sanna as victor in 2014, given Robin Bengtsson the win in 2016 with Constellation Prize and an I Can't Go On staging budget, had Ace go with Wild Child in 2017 but with a Don't Worry staging budget, and forcefed Frans into a meat grinder.

I have to say though, of all the new Melfest stars of the 2010s Ace Wilder is probably the one I identify with the most, particularly in her narrative as she developed across the competition, which eerily echoed the Bildungsroman journey of being a graduate in your twenties

Busy Doin Nothin: the sound of the first six months after you've graduated, as your parents progressively see how openly scathing they can get that you're still unemployed in their house and practically rubbing their faces in it by waking up at noon every day. You have not left to meet a friend at the pub within an hour of the time you were actually supposed to meet them since some time during the second year of university. You only finally feel compelled to find a job and move out after trying that toast sandwich they had on the BBC frontpage when you run out of JSA one day and having a moment of clarity written in lightning about what a dirty little dropout you've become

Don't Worry: mid-twenties now - the sound of your first year as a professional (in name only). LOL, you're such a hot mess!!!! Obviously you're smoking weed all the time because that's all you can afford and you're doing crazy dumb stupid shit like making out with your boss and forgetting to pay rent - adulting is hard!! But you know what - wild anecdotes make you feel like you're having a life when most of your money goes on the £3 Tesco lunch meal deal and when you can't afford to go out for the last two weeks before payday!

Wild Child: you are now in your late twenties. You have been ground down mercilessly by the professional world, loathe yourself and everything you have become completely, and yearn for nothing but escape. You discover MDMA, cocaine and ketamine. Each weekend you regress to a beautiful childhood, a kingdom of dreams. Everything is fine. You are a child now. Tomorrow belongs to you

OMG how do you even follow that post above from @Penelope? :D

Anyway, I'm somewhat SHOCKED at the apparent popularity of Wild Child on here :D I don't RECALL it getting much attention from the fanz at the time - if anything it felt RATHER UNLOVED and a bit washed out (like her stage outfit).

Don't Worry is probably the one I enjoy the most as it's such a PRODUCTION - but it's also an example of the staging just being way TOO BIG for what is actually not a particularly well-written song. Whoever came up with the concept had clearly been influenced by too many Russian/Ukrainian kitchen-sink performances and it just didn't really FIT or feel very SWEDISH.
That Ace seemed to only actually be on STAGE performing for about half the song didn't help either. Certainly a case of wanting the win a little TOO MUCH they totally over-thought it.

Busy Doing Nothing was a cute little surprise, but I can't say it's one I ever return to these days. Would have been a FANTASTIC trash entry from Serbia or somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom