Best NELLY FURTADO Single(s)

Followmefollowmefollowmedowndowndowndown

• Total voters
I can see how the Woah...Nelly stuff would piss people off, but Folklore is objectively not a terrible album.

Loose apparently sold over a million in the UK even though it only peaked at #4. UNIMAGINABLE these days...

It's weird how Loose was such a phenomenon and yet there was NO APPETITE for anything else from Nelly Furtado subsequently.

This topic has reminded me of this fab live perf of Say It Right at the AMAs with the wind machine and BVs turned up to 11

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor forgotten Parking Lot. When I first heard it I thought it was the worst song ever recorded but now I love it. Like Nelly, M.I.A. and Gwen Stefani had a really annoying but catchy baby

It's weird how Loose was such a phenomenon and yet there was NO APPETITE for anything else from Nelly Furtado subsequently.

She didn't really capitalise on it though, did she. She went from the sex kitten stuff of Loose to a Spanish language album several years later? Maybe if the subsequent material had matched how commercial-sounding (and legit AWESOME) Loose was, she'd have stood a chance?

I think she's just not interested in stardom.

I loved Nelly so much before Loose. Her first album is still my favourite and her best songs are some of her album tracks (My Love Grows Deeper and Scared of You). I'm glad Loose did so well, but I felt like the music lost that special something she had in the first albums and became just another pop/R&B record.

10 I'm Like a Bird
11 Turn off the Light
08 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
07 Powerless (Say What You Want)
10 Try
07 Forca
10 Explode
06 Promiscuous
10 Maneater
10 Say It Right
08 All Good Things (Come To An End)
04 Do It
04 In God's Hands
00 Manos al Aire
04 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
05 Spirit Indestructible
10 Waiting for the Night - I just heard this for the first time. It's the kind of music she should stick to

?? Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
10 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake) - Hate what it stands for but it was a good song.
?? Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

The Loose album has aged very badly (unsurprisingly, given how of its time it was) but it's still a fun listen. My latter-day favourite from the album is Wait For You - I hadn't picked up at the time how obvious it was that it totally would have been a 2006 Aaliyah single.

Yes to Wait For You!! Especially the live version.

Wait for You is pretty great, I think I prefer the less heralded tracks on Loose just down to lack of overplay. No Hay Igual, Do It, Te Busque are all among my favourites. She's had a fair amount of songs that about three people bought that I really like, actually.

She threw this out at the arse end of The Album Unsellable to the interest of nobody but I like it, even the slightly :zombie: introduction (although the irritating hipsters in the video can fuck off)

She didn't really capitalise on it though, did she. She went from the sex kitten stuff of Loose to a Spanish language album several years later? Maybe if the subsequent material had matched how commercial-sounding (and legit AWESOME) Loose was, she'd have stood a chance?

This. That career kiilling "Hoops" single didn't help matters either...

Oh as if it was HOOPS that killed her career as opposed to her FUCKING OFF FOR TWENTY YEARS

Hoops was definitely not commercial/strong enough to come back with after so long away. Maybe if she'd had a corker to follow it up with, but Spirit Indestructible was definitely not that.

Anyway I am listening to Loose now and it's a lot better than I gave it credit for. Totally looning4Nelly this week. :disco:

It was TERRIBLE! I just did not get it AT ALL, how she got it so SPECTACULARLY wrong...

so I got into a Nelly F listening session last night and totally forgot about Get Your Freak On REMIX with Missy :disco: GE GE GE GE GGETTGETGET

i feel like i quite dislike her these days for some reason even though i loved her when she came out. whiney. my favourite single is probably powerless together with non-single one trick pony.

I'm re-reading the 2007 Loose thread (job? what job?). ameraal is completely insane in it. :D

oh dear, i'm afraid to even look. in my defence i'm starting to worry i'm completely mental altogether.

09 I'm Like a Bird
08 Turn off the Light
08 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
09 Powerless (Say What You Want)
07 Try
09 Forca
07 Explode
09 Promiscuous
10 Maneater
09 Say It Right
10 All Good Things (Come To An End)
08 Do It
07 In God's Hands
07 Manos al Aire
06 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
07 Spirit Indestructible
07 Waiting for the Night

08 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
10 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)
08 Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

Not a single duffer amongst them, I'm Like a Bird suffered from overplay, but recently i've re-appreciated it as a joyous pop song. Maneater remains the supreme single though.

Say It Right is the only one I actively go back to, though the other singles from it were good and one or two others.

What a STRANGE artist when you compare the sound of each album.

I miss hearing NELLY on a club to be honest. :( I can't believe Maneater/Promiscous were released TEN YEARS ago.

Then again, I read last night that Rebecca Black's Friday was released 5 YEARS ago :zombie: What am I doing with my life?

Have we noticed that Big Hoops has been revived as a UK TOP TEN HIT with this remix?

I don't understand how she isn't credited on it? Is it a (very good) soundalike?

The charts are so confusing :(

I think I could only hum I'm Like A Bird (very resentfully) and Say It Right (willingly and graciously :disco:) out of ALL of them, although BIG HOOPS sounds very sexy :horny:

Anyway Say It Right remains fucking amazing :disco:

I think Try is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Especially:

All of the moments that already passed
We'll try to go back and make them last
All of the things we want each other to be
We never will be, we never will be
And that's wonderful, and that's life
And that's you, baby
This is me, baby
And we are, we are, we are, we are
We are, we are
Free
In our love
We are free in our love

Say It Right is a close second

07 I'm Like a Bird
06 Turn off the LighT
?? Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
07 Powerless (Say What You Want)
10 Try
?? Forca
08 Explode
09 Promiscuou
10 Maneater
11 Say It Right
10 All Good Things (Come To An End)
08 Do It
06 In God's Hands
?? Manos al Aire
00 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
?? Spirit Indestructible
08 Waiting for the Night

09 I'm Like a Bird - a great first single. This was the summer before 9/11 and things felt different.
05 Turn off the Light - I always used to do the follow me follow me follow me down down down bit in a high pitched voice to the delight of no one around me
03 On the Radio (I Remember The Days) - ironic radio fodder
05 Powerless (Say What You Want) - very ‘composed for a primary school event’ and I should know, because I pretended I wrote this for a class assembly about Romulus and Remus and I got away with it (Remus sings it right before Romulus attacks)
08 Try - a good song but there is a great song in there that just doesn’t come out. Structurally it never gets to that Leona Lewis moment, and frankly it’s what we deserve.
?? Forca
?? Explode
00 Promiscuous Girl - anything even slightly LACED with Gwen Stefani and the year 2006 is being flung directly off the ROOF
10 Maneater - whereas this is moreish nonsense. An example of an act embracing a cultural trend and really flying with it (the cultural trend is chasing after hot guys)
11 Say It Right - just like an open wound. Such a special song. Undeniable.
09 All Good Things (Come To An End) - her best ballad, this was a run of great singles that made her an international BIG DEAL for a while. That she took this momentum and then gave us nothing is such a powerful statement I can’t even look at it directly in the eye.
?? Do It
??In God's Hands
?? Manos al Aire
10 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) - too ingenious, too art pop. Always loved this, and its tactic of channelling It’s Magic Nicola Roberts by holding back any chorus until the last part of the song gets a big fat tick. Not until somewhere in Sweden in 2017 would we see someone go to town on their GCSE Art Project like this.
?? Spirit Indestructible
?? Waiting for the Night

This time of the year, 20 years ago I played the first album on repeat, and out of the singles it was especially Turn off the Light that I was fond of.

I really like "Islands of Me" and "Pipe Dreams" from the last "era". Never gave the last albums a proper go though. IIRC, I found Loose patchy/fillerish aside from the ridic highs.

Reactions: GNL
I attribute her commercial decline 100% to the six year break between english albums. American radio was at last receptive to "Big Hoops" for a minute (it dented the US radio top 40).

"Say It Right" is one of the standard pop songs of the 00s.

Everything else is either good, very good or OK. But that song is head and shoulders.

I'm surprised 'Say It Right' is winning - I can't even remember how it goes!

I still think 'I'm Like Her Bird' (her debut single) is her defining moment. It really did sound like a breath of fresh air at the time.

Have we noticed that Big Hoops has been revived as a UK TOP TEN HIT with this remix?

I don't understand how she isn't credited on it? Is it a (very good) soundalike?

The charts are so confusing :(

I suppose samples don't always get credited, even when they're ludicrously extensive sometimes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom