Beyoncé - act ii: COWBOY CARTER

Did someone say HIT? :disco:

QUEEN BEY IS BACK ON HER THRONE etc etc.

NEvermind, I see her last #1 was with Gaga and her last "solo" one was in 08, so to score yet another one on her own is IMPRESSIVE, to say the least :disco:

Its my fave of hers for years. Since XO I think

The Good Place Burn GIF by Global TV

Its my fave of hers for years. Since XO I think

The Good Place Burn GIF by Global TV

I don’t think you are alone babe. It was only ever a matter of time before she went back to mainstream. As much as these mega stars enjoy making their own sounds that they would prefer to listen to themselves they love the commercial success and $$$ that little bit more.

sorry but when did Beyoncé leave the "mainstream"

OK, wrong wording possibly but I would certainly say this is the most commercial sounding single she has released in some time. Basic? Possibly, but I would assume this album will be her most successful album campaign in some time. Her first number 1 since 2008 in the UK 15 years plus after the last is very telling that the UK audience at least prefer it when she sings a song with a melody.

I loved Renaissance as I have said a million times but this is Beyoncé’s sweet spot for most.

Break My Soul and Cuff It were both HUGE hits too, 2 and 5 in UK and the sales of Cuff It probably don't do that position justice. They were easily her biggest hits chartwise since Drunk In Love.

I'd say Renaissance brought her back to a xommercial high singles wise and this is just consolidating on that.

Break My Soul and Cuff It were both HUGE hits too, 2 and 5 in UK and the sales of Cuff It probably don't do that position justice. They were easily her biggest hits chartwise since Drunk I'm Love.

I'd say Renaissance brought her back to her commercial high and this is just consolidating on that.

Not to sound all SEPTIC PEG but this will outsell both of the other singles from Renaissance COMFORTABLY. It’s just much more easy listening catering for everybody music which is why I used the word “mainstream”.

Also, this sounds nothing like anything from Renaissance so I wouldn’t pair them together and would say this is a stand alone on its own. Beyonce was always culturally well known so I don’t think this is dragging on Renaissance coat tails at all.

You may well be right about it outselling those singles. I'm not saying Texas is riding on their coat tails either. However the last album proved she was still a singles chart force and this is consolidating on that.

I loved Renaissance 1 and love the tracks so far from part 2 too, so good for her!

agreed, it's a consolidation of her return as a singles chart force as enabled by Renaissance. I'm not sure they expected act ii/country to be bigger for her or if it's a happy accident but YAY!

Also some STATS

CHART BEAT
Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Hits No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100
The song becomes her ninth solo leader.

By Gary Trust

02/26/2024

Beyoncé’s “Texas Hold ‘Em” shuffles to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, a week after it debuted at No. 2. The superstar earns her ninth leader on the list, and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.

A week earlier, the single became the superstar’s historic first No. 1 on the multimetric Hot Country Songs survey; prior to the triumph for “Texas Hold ‘Em,” no Black woman, or female known to be biracial, had previously topped the chart.

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is one of two songs that Beyoncé released Feb. 11 (with instrumental and clean and explicit a cappella versions of the song released Feb. 14), along with “16 Carriages.” The arrival of both tracks was announced via a Verizon commercial that aired during CBS’ broadcast of Super Bowl LVIII, ahead of the March 29 release of her new album, which follows her 2022 Renaissance LP.

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” on Parkwood/Columbia Records/Columbia Nashville, becomes the 1,164th No. 1 in the Hot 100’s 65-year history. Below is a look at Queen Bey’s latest coronation.

The Hot 100 blends all-genre U.S. streaming (official audio and official video), radio airplay and sales data, the lattermost metric reflecting purchases of physical singles and digital tracks from full-service digital music retailers; digital singles sales from direct-to-consumer (D2C) sites are excluded from chart calculations. All charts (dated March 2, 2024) will update on Billboard.com tomorrow, Feb. 27. For all chart news, you can follow billboard and billboardcharts on both X, formerly known as Twitter, and Instagram.

Streams, Airplay & Sales

“Texas Hold ‘Em” drew 29 million streams (up 51%) and 16.1 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 233%) and sold 29,000 downloads (down 25%) in the Feb. 16-22 tracking week, according to Luminate, as the song claims dual top Streaming and Airplay Gainer honors on the Hot 100.

The single adds a second week at No. 1 on the Digital Song Sales chart, ascends 2-1 Streaming Songs and debuts at No. 43 on Radio Songs chart.

Beyoncé’s Ninth Solo Hot 100 No. 1

Beyoncé notches her ninth Hot 100 No. 1 as a soloist.

Here’s a recap:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” one week to date, March 2, 2024
“Break My Soul,” two weeks, beginning Aug. 13, 2022
“Savage” (Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyoncé), one, May 30, 2020
“Perfect” (Ed Sheeran duet with Beyoncé), five (on which she was credited; the song led for six weeks total), beginning Dec. 23, 2017
“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” four, beginning Dec. 13, 2008
“Irreplaceable,” 10, beginning Dec. 16, 2006
“Check on It,” feat. Slim Thug, five, beginning Feb. 4, 2006
“Baby Boy,” feat. Sean Paul, nine, beginning Oct. 4, 2003
“Crazy in Love,” feat. Jay-Z, eight weeks at No. 1, beginning July 12, 2003
Additionally, Destiny’s Child, with Beyoncé as a member, scored four Hot 100 No. 1s: “Bootylicious” (for two weeks in 2001); “Independent Women (Part 1)” (11, 2000-01); “Say My Name” (three, 2000); and “Bills, Bills, Bills” (one week, 1999).

Beyoncé’s 20-year-plus Span of Solo Hot 100 No. 1s

From the first week at No. 1 on the Hot 100 for “Crazy in Love” through, now, the reign of “Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé spans 20 years, seven months and three weeks of appearing atop the chart as a soloist.

Longest Spans of Hot 100 No. 1s:

Brenda Lee – 63 years, five months, three weeks (July 18, 1960-Jan. 6, 2024)
Mariah Carey – 33 years, four months, three weeks (Aug. 4, 1990-Dec. 30, 2023)
Cher – 28 years, five months (Nov. 6, 1971-April 3, 1999)
Elton John – 24 years, 11 months, one week (Feb. 3, 1973-Jan. 10, 1998)
Beach Boys – 24 years, four months (July 4, 1964-Nov. 5, 1988)
Michael Jackson – 22 years, 10 months, three weeks (Oct. 14, 1972-Sept. 2, 1995)
Stevie Wonder – 22 years, six months (Aug. 10, 1963-Feb. 8, 1986)
Rod Stewart – 22 years, four months (Oct. 2, 1971-Feb. 5, 1994)
Beyoncé – 20 years, seven months, three weeks (July 12, 2003-March 2, 2024)
Aretha Franklin – 19 years, 10 months, two weeks (June 3, 1967-April 18, 1987)
Notably, in looking at acts’ group and solo careers combined, Beyoncé’s span of appearing atop the Hot 100 stretches 24 years, seven months and two weeks, from the first week at No. 1 for Destiny’s Child’s “Bills, Bills, Bills” (July 17, 1999) through this week’s takeover on top for “Texas Hold ‘Em.” Similarly among the acts above, Cher’s career span including Sonny & Cher and her solo No. 1s would encompass 33 years, seven months and two weeks (1965-99) and Michael Jackson’s Jackson 5 and solo output would span 25 years, seven months and a week (1970-95).

Meanwhile (as first noted when Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage,” featuring Beyoncé, hit No. 1), Beyoncé and Mariah Carey are the only acts to place atop the Hot 100 in four distinct decades – the 1990s, 2000s, ‘10s and ‘20s for both – thanks to the former’s runs at No. 1 with Destiny’s Child in the ‘90s and solo in the ‘00s-‘20s, and Carey’s reigns in each decade, including in the ‘10s and ‘20s with “All I Want for Christmas Is You.”

Seventh-most Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100

Beyoncé boasts the seventh-most weeks spent atop the Hot 100, as “Texas Hold ‘Em” ups her count to 45 in her solo career.

Most Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100:

93, Mariah Carey
60, Rihanna
59, The Beatles
56, Drake
50, Boyz II Men
47, Usher
45, Beyoncé
37, Michael Jackson
34, Adele
34, Elton John
34, Bruno Mars
34, Taylor Swift
Further, Destiny’s Child spent 17 weeks at No. 1 among the act’s four Hot 100 leaders, making for 62 weeks at the summit for Beyoncé if we were to combine her solo and the group’s songs. (Among the acts above, Paul McCartney [89 weeks total; 30 solo], both George Harrison and John Lennon [each 65; six] would also sport higher sums of weeks at No. 1 than Beyoncé when mixing their solo leaders and those by The Beatles with them as members (with Ringo Starr at 61 weeks, thanks to two solo), while Michael Jackson’s total would extend to 47, thanks to 10 weeks at No. 1 for the Jackson 5.)

‘Texas’ on the Way to ‘California’ & ‘Georgia’

Thanks to “Texas Hold ‘Em” by Houston-born Beyoncé, Texas appears in the title of a Hot 100 No. 1 for the first time. It’s also just the third U.S. state in the name of a leader on the list – with three each previously shouting out California and Georgia.

Hot 100 No. 1s With U.S. States in Their Titles:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé, hit No. 1 March 2, 2024
“California Gurls,” Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg, June 19, 2010
“How Do U Want It”/“California Love,” 2Pac feat. K-Ci & JoJo, July 13, 1996
“Hotel California,” Eagles, May 7, 1977
“Midnight Train to Georgia,” Gladys Knight & the Pips, Oct. 27, 1973
“The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia,” Vicki Lawrence, April 7, 1973
“Georgia on My Mind,” Ray Charles, Nov. 14, 1960
If you’re a reader from any of the other 47 states, you might feel more included knowing the other Hot 100 No. 1s with geographical American references either in their titles or via the acts that recorded them. One indirectly celebrates Texas: “Amazed,” by Lonestar, whose original members were from the Lone Star State (with the group first called Texassee, as they all met in Tennessee).

Here’s a rundown of those songs:

“This Is America,” Childish Gambino, hit No. 1 May 19, 2018
“Whistle,” Flo Rida, Aug. 25, 2012
“Empire State of Mind,” Jay-Z + Alicia Keys, Nov. 28, 2009
“Right Round,” Flo Rida, Feb. 28, 2009
“Amazed,” Lonestar, March 4, 2000
“We Are the World,” USA for Africa, April 13, 1985
“Love Rollercoaster,” Ohio Players, Jan. 31, 1976
“Sister Golden Hair,” America, June 14, 1975
“Fire,” Ohio Players, Feb. 8, 1975
“We’re an American Band,” Grand Funk, Sept. 29, 1973
“A Horse With No Name,” America, March 25, 1972
“American Pie (Parts I & II),” Don McLean, Jan. 15, 1972
“American Woman”/“No Sugar Tonight,” The Guess Who, May 9, 1970
Beyoncé Back Atop Hot 100 as Writer, Producer

Beyoncé co-wrote and co-produced “Texas Hold ‘Em.” She has co-written all nine and co-produced six of her solo Hot 100 No. 1s. (She co-wrote three and co-produced two of Destiny’s Child’s leaders.)

Also notable among the four writers and six producers of “Texas Hold ‘Em” is Raphael Saadiq – who contributes to his first Hot 100 No. 1 in those roles. He broke through as a member of Tony! Toni! Toné!, which tallied three top 10s in the early ‘90s – “Feels Good” (No. 9 peak, November 1990), “If I Had No Loot” (No. 7, August 1993) and “Anniversary” (No. 10, October 1993) – and returned to the region as featured on Alicia Keys’ “Diary” (No. 8, October 2004). Saadiq co-wrote the group’s first three top 10s, and the trio produced them.

Saadiq has also co-written and/or co-produced Hot 100 top 10s recorded by D’Angelo (“Lady”; No. 10, 1996), Erykah Badu (“Love of My Life [An Ode to Hip Hop],” feat. Common; No. 9, 2003), Ed Sheeran (“Don’t”; No. 9, 2014) – and Beyoncé, whose “Cuff It,” her most recent top 10 before “Texas Hold ‘Em,” hit No. 6 in February 2023.

Beyoncé’s Fourth Streaming Songs No. 1

Beyoncé tops Streaming Songs with a fourth title, dating to the chart’s 2013 inception, with “Texas Hold ‘Em” her first No. 1 as a sole lead artist. Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage,” featuring Beyoncé, led for one week in 2020; Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect,” with Beyoncé, reigned for a week in 2018; and “Drunk in Love,” featuring Jay-Z, ruled for four weeks in 2014.

No. 1 on Hot Country Songs, Multi-Format Airplay Builds

“Texas Hold ‘Em” tallies a second week at No. 1 on the multimetric Hot Country Songs chart.

Concurrently, Beyoncé makes her first appearance in the Country Airplay chart’s top 40, as “Texas Hold ‘Em” surges 54-34 (2.8 million in audience at the format, up 156%) in its second week. The single became her first entry on the chart, as well as her first No. 1 on Hot Country Songs.

The track also jumps 38-25 on Pop Airplay and debuts on Adult Pop Airplay (No. 28), Adult R&B Airplay (No. 28), Rhythmic Airplay (No. 36), R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (No. 36) and Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (No. 40).

Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs No. 1s

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is the 26th hit to have topped both the Hot 100 and Hot Country Songs, dating to 1958, when the Hot 100 originated and Hot Country Songs became the country genre’s singular Billboard chart. Beyoncé scores the first dual leader of 2024, after four such songs topped the Hot 100 in 2023, the most in a year since 1975.

Songs to Have Hit No. 1 on Both the Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs Charts:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé, 2024
“I Remember Everything,” Zach Bryan feat. Kacey Musgraves, 2023
“Rich Men North of Richmond,” Anthony Oliver Music, 2023
“Try That in a Small Town,” Jason Aldean, 2023
“Last Night,” Morgan Wallen, 2023
“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version),” Taylor Swift, 2021
“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” Taylor Swift, 2012
“Amazed,” Lonestar, 1999-2000
“Islands in the Stream,” Kenny Rogers, duet with Dolly Parton, 1983
“I Love a Rainy Night,” Eddie Rabbitt, 1981
“9 to 5,” Dolly Parton, 1981
“Lady,” Kenny Rogers, 1980
“Southern Nights,” Glen Campbell, 1977
“Convoy,” C.W. McCall, 1975-76
“I’m Sorry,” John Denver, 1975
“Rhinestone Cowboy,” Glen Campbell, 1975
“Thank God I’m a Country Boy,” John Denver, 1975
“Before the Next Teardrop Falls,” Freddy Fender, 1975
“(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,” B.J. Thomas, 1975
“I Can Help,” Billy Swan, 1974
“The Most Beautiful Girl,” Charlie Rich, 1973
“Honey,” Bobby Goldsboro, 1968
“Harper Valley P.T.A.,” Jeannie C. Riley, 1968
“Big Bad John,” Jimmy Dean, 1961
“El Paso,” Marty Robbins, 1959-60
“The Battle of New Orleans,” Johnny Horton, 1959
Harlow’s ‘Lovin on Me’ Leads Rest of Top 10

Beyond Beyoncé on the Hot 100, Jack Harlow’s “Lovin on Me” ranks at No. 2, following six nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1. Still, it adds a sixth week atop Radio Songs and rules the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs charts, which use the same methodology as the Hot 100, for a 14th week each.

Teddy Swims’ “Lose Control” rebounds 5-3 on the Hot 100, after reaching No. 2; Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) and Ty Dolla $ign’s “Carnival,” featuring Rich the Kid and Playboi Carti, dips 3-4 in its second week on the chart, as Ye and Ty Dolla $ign’s collaborative album Vultures 1 spends a second week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart; and Benson Boone’s “Beautiful Things” backtracks 4-5 on the Hot 100, after hitting No. 2.

SZA’s “Snooze” rises 7-6 on the Hot 100, after reaching No. 2, as it leads the multimetric Hot R&B Songs chart for a 30th week – tying her own “Kill Bill” for the longest command by a woman; among all songs dating to the chart’s 2012 launch, only The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights” has led longer (48 weeks, 2020-21).

Taylor Swift’s “Cruel Summer” falls 6-7 on the Hot 100, following four nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 beginning in October, and Tate McRae’s “Greedy” pushes 9-8, after reaching No. 3.

Zach Bryan’s “I Remember Everything,” featuring Kacey Musgraves, slides 8-9 on the Hot 100, after it led for a week upon its debut last September. It leads the multimetric Hot Rock & Alternative Songs and Hot Rock Songs charts for a 26th week each.

Rounding out the Hot 100’s top 10, Doja Cat’s “Agora Hills” reenters the region (12-10), after hitting No. 7.

Again, for all chart news, you can follow billboard and billboardcharts on Billboard’s social accounts, and all charts (dated March 2), including the Hot 100 in its entirety, will refresh on Billboard.com tomorrow (Feb. 27).

Luminate, the independent data provider to the Billboard charts, completes a thorough review of all data submissions used in compiling the weekly chart rankings. Luminate reviews and authenticates data. In partnership with Billboard, data deemed suspicious or unverifiable is removed, using established criteria, before final chart calculations are made and published.

Also some STATS

CHART BEAT
Beyoncé’s ‘Texas Hold ‘Em’ Hits No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100
The song becomes her ninth solo leader.

By Gary Trust

02/26/2024

Beyoncé’s “Texas Hold ‘Em” shuffles to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, a week after it debuted at No. 2. The superstar earns her ninth leader on the list, and her first since “Break My Soul” in 2022.

A week earlier, the single became the superstar’s historic first No. 1 on the multimetric Hot Country Songs survey; prior to the triumph for “Texas Hold ‘Em,” no Black woman, or female known to be biracial, had previously topped the chart.

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is one of two songs that Beyoncé released Feb. 11 (with instrumental and clean and explicit a cappella versions of the song released Feb. 14), along with “16 Carriages.” The arrival of both tracks was announced via a Verizon commercial that aired during CBS’ broadcast of Super Bowl LVIII, ahead of the March 29 release of her new album, which follows her 2022 Renaissance LP.

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” on Parkwood/Columbia Records/Columbia Nashville, becomes the 1,164th No. 1 in the Hot 100’s 65-year history. Below is a look at Queen Bey’s latest coronation.

The Hot 100 blends all-genre U.S. streaming (official audio and official video), radio airplay and sales data, the lattermost metric reflecting purchases of physical singles and digital tracks from full-service digital music retailers; digital singles sales from direct-to-consumer (D2C) sites are excluded from chart calculations. All charts (dated March 2, 2024) will update on Billboard.com tomorrow, Feb. 27. For all chart news, you can follow billboard and billboardcharts on both X, formerly known as Twitter, and Instagram.

Streams, Airplay & Sales

“Texas Hold ‘Em” drew 29 million streams (up 51%) and 16.1 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 233%) and sold 29,000 downloads (down 25%) in the Feb. 16-22 tracking week, according to Luminate, as the song claims dual top Streaming and Airplay Gainer honors on the Hot 100.

The single adds a second week at No. 1 on the Digital Song Sales chart, ascends 2-1 Streaming Songs and debuts at No. 43 on Radio Songs chart.

Beyoncé’s Ninth Solo Hot 100 No. 1

Beyoncé notches her ninth Hot 100 No. 1 as a soloist.

Here’s a recap:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” one week to date, March 2, 2024
“Break My Soul,” two weeks, beginning Aug. 13, 2022
“Savage” (Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyoncé), one, May 30, 2020
“Perfect” (Ed Sheeran duet with Beyoncé), five (on which she was credited; the song led for six weeks total), beginning Dec. 23, 2017
“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It),” four, beginning Dec. 13, 2008
“Irreplaceable,” 10, beginning Dec. 16, 2006
“Check on It,” feat. Slim Thug, five, beginning Feb. 4, 2006
“Baby Boy,” feat. Sean Paul, nine, beginning Oct. 4, 2003
“Crazy in Love,” feat. Jay-Z, eight weeks at No. 1, beginning July 12, 2003
Additionally, Destiny’s Child, with Beyoncé as a member, scored four Hot 100 No. 1s: “Bootylicious” (for two weeks in 2001); “Independent Women (Part 1)” (11, 2000-01); “Say My Name” (three, 2000); and “Bills, Bills, Bills” (one week, 1999).

Beyoncé’s 20-year-plus Span of Solo Hot 100 No. 1s

From the first week at No. 1 on the Hot 100 for “Crazy in Love” through, now, the reign of “Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé spans 20 years, seven months and three weeks of appearing atop the chart as a soloist.

Longest Spans of Hot 100 No. 1s:

Brenda Lee – 63 years, five months, three weeks (July 18, 1960-Jan. 6, 2024)
Mariah Carey – 33 years, four months, three weeks (Aug. 4, 1990-Dec. 30, 2023)
Cher – 28 years, five months (Nov. 6, 1971-April 3, 1999)
Elton John – 24 years, 11 months, one week (Feb. 3, 1973-Jan. 10, 1998)
Beach Boys – 24 years, four months (July 4, 1964-Nov. 5, 1988)
Michael Jackson – 22 years, 10 months, three weeks (Oct. 14, 1972-Sept. 2, 1995)
Stevie Wonder – 22 years, six months (Aug. 10, 1963-Feb. 8, 1986)
Rod Stewart – 22 years, four months (Oct. 2, 1971-Feb. 5, 1994)
Beyoncé – 20 years, seven months, three weeks (July 12, 2003-March 2, 2024)
Aretha Franklin – 19 years, 10 months, two weeks (June 3, 1967-April 18, 1987)
Notably, in looking at acts’ group and solo careers combined, Beyoncé’s span of appearing atop the Hot 100 stretches 24 years, seven months and two weeks, from the first week at No. 1 for Destiny’s Child’s “Bills, Bills, Bills” (July 17, 1999) through this week’s takeover on top for “Texas Hold ‘Em.” Similarly among the acts above, Cher’s career span including Sonny & Cher and her solo No. 1s would encompass 33 years, seven months and two weeks (1965-99) and Michael Jackson’s Jackson 5 and solo output would span 25 years, seven months and a week (1970-95).

Meanwhile (as first noted when Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage,” featuring Beyoncé, hit No. 1), Beyoncé and Mariah Carey are the only acts to place atop the Hot 100 in four distinct decades – the 1990s, 2000s, ‘10s and ‘20s for both – thanks to the former’s runs at No. 1 with Destiny’s Child in the ‘90s and solo in the ‘00s-‘20s, and Carey’s reigns in each decade, including in the ‘10s and ‘20s with “All I Want for Christmas Is You.”

Seventh-most Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100

Beyoncé boasts the seventh-most weeks spent atop the Hot 100, as “Texas Hold ‘Em” ups her count to 45 in her solo career.

Most Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100:

93, Mariah Carey
60, Rihanna
59, The Beatles
56, Drake
50, Boyz II Men
47, Usher
45, Beyoncé
37, Michael Jackson
34, Adele
34, Elton John
34, Bruno Mars
34, Taylor Swift
Further, Destiny’s Child spent 17 weeks at No. 1 among the act’s four Hot 100 leaders, making for 62 weeks at the summit for Beyoncé if we were to combine her solo and the group’s songs. (Among the acts above, Paul McCartney [89 weeks total; 30 solo], both George Harrison and John Lennon [each 65; six] would also sport higher sums of weeks at No. 1 than Beyoncé when mixing their solo leaders and those by The Beatles with them as members (with Ringo Starr at 61 weeks, thanks to two solo), while Michael Jackson’s total would extend to 47, thanks to 10 weeks at No. 1 for the Jackson 5.)

‘Texas’ on the Way to ‘California’ & ‘Georgia’

Thanks to “Texas Hold ‘Em” by Houston-born Beyoncé, Texas appears in the title of a Hot 100 No. 1 for the first time. It’s also just the third U.S. state in the name of a leader on the list – with three each previously shouting out California and Georgia.

Hot 100 No. 1s With U.S. States in Their Titles:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé, hit No. 1 March 2, 2024
“California Gurls,” Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg, June 19, 2010
“How Do U Want It”/“California Love,” 2Pac feat. K-Ci & JoJo, July 13, 1996
“Hotel California,” Eagles, May 7, 1977
“Midnight Train to Georgia,” Gladys Knight & the Pips, Oct. 27, 1973
“The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia,” Vicki Lawrence, April 7, 1973
“Georgia on My Mind,” Ray Charles, Nov. 14, 1960
If you’re a reader from any of the other 47 states, you might feel more included knowing the other Hot 100 No. 1s with geographical American references either in their titles or via the acts that recorded them. One indirectly celebrates Texas: “Amazed,” by Lonestar, whose original members were from the Lone Star State (with the group first called Texassee, as they all met in Tennessee).

Here’s a rundown of those songs:

“This Is America,” Childish Gambino, hit No. 1 May 19, 2018
“Whistle,” Flo Rida, Aug. 25, 2012
“Empire State of Mind,” Jay-Z + Alicia Keys, Nov. 28, 2009
“Right Round,” Flo Rida, Feb. 28, 2009
“Amazed,” Lonestar, March 4, 2000
“We Are the World,” USA for Africa, April 13, 1985
“Love Rollercoaster,” Ohio Players, Jan. 31, 1976
“Sister Golden Hair,” America, June 14, 1975
“Fire,” Ohio Players, Feb. 8, 1975
“We’re an American Band,” Grand Funk, Sept. 29, 1973
“A Horse With No Name,” America, March 25, 1972
“American Pie (Parts I & II),” Don McLean, Jan. 15, 1972
“American Woman”/“No Sugar Tonight,” The Guess Who, May 9, 1970
Beyoncé Back Atop Hot 100 as Writer, Producer

Beyoncé co-wrote and co-produced “Texas Hold ‘Em.” She has co-written all nine and co-produced six of her solo Hot 100 No. 1s. (She co-wrote three and co-produced two of Destiny’s Child’s leaders.)

Also notable among the four writers and six producers of “Texas Hold ‘Em” is Raphael Saadiq – who contributes to his first Hot 100 No. 1 in those roles. He broke through as a member of Tony! Toni! Toné!, which tallied three top 10s in the early ‘90s – “Feels Good” (No. 9 peak, November 1990), “If I Had No Loot” (No. 7, August 1993) and “Anniversary” (No. 10, October 1993) – and returned to the region as featured on Alicia Keys’ “Diary” (No. 8, October 2004). Saadiq co-wrote the group’s first three top 10s, and the trio produced them.

Saadiq has also co-written and/or co-produced Hot 100 top 10s recorded by D’Angelo (“Lady”; No. 10, 1996), Erykah Badu (“Love of My Life [An Ode to Hip Hop],” feat. Common; No. 9, 2003), Ed Sheeran (“Don’t”; No. 9, 2014) – and Beyoncé, whose “Cuff It,” her most recent top 10 before “Texas Hold ‘Em,” hit No. 6 in February 2023.

Beyoncé’s Fourth Streaming Songs No. 1

Beyoncé tops Streaming Songs with a fourth title, dating to the chart’s 2013 inception, with “Texas Hold ‘Em” her first No. 1 as a sole lead artist. Megan Thee Stallion’s “Savage,” featuring Beyoncé, led for one week in 2020; Ed Sheeran’s “Perfect,” with Beyoncé, reigned for a week in 2018; and “Drunk in Love,” featuring Jay-Z, ruled for four weeks in 2014.

No. 1 on Hot Country Songs, Multi-Format Airplay Builds

“Texas Hold ‘Em” tallies a second week at No. 1 on the multimetric Hot Country Songs chart.

Concurrently, Beyoncé makes her first appearance in the Country Airplay chart’s top 40, as “Texas Hold ‘Em” surges 54-34 (2.8 million in audience at the format, up 156%) in its second week. The single became her first entry on the chart, as well as her first No. 1 on Hot Country Songs.

The track also jumps 38-25 on Pop Airplay and debuts on Adult Pop Airplay (No. 28), Adult R&B Airplay (No. 28), Rhythmic Airplay (No. 36), R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (No. 36) and Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (No. 40).

Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs No. 1s

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is the 26th hit to have topped both the Hot 100 and Hot Country Songs, dating to 1958, when the Hot 100 originated and Hot Country Songs became the country genre’s singular Billboard chart. Beyoncé scores the first dual leader of 2024, after four such songs topped the Hot 100 in 2023, the most in a year since 1975.

Songs to Have Hit No. 1 on Both the Hot 100 & Hot Country Songs Charts:

“Texas Hold ‘Em,” Beyoncé, 2024
“I Remember Everything,” Zach Bryan feat. Kacey Musgraves, 2023
“Rich Men North of Richmond,” Anthony Oliver Music, 2023
“Try That in a Small Town,” Jason Aldean, 2023
“Last Night,” Morgan Wallen, 2023
“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version),” Taylor Swift, 2021
“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” Taylor Swift, 2012
“Amazed,” Lonestar, 1999-2000
“Islands in the Stream,” Kenny Rogers, duet with Dolly Parton, 1983
“I Love a Rainy Night,” Eddie Rabbitt, 1981
“9 to 5,” Dolly Parton, 1981
“Lady,” Kenny Rogers, 1980
“Southern Nights,” Glen Campbell, 1977
“Convoy,” C.W. McCall, 1975-76
“I’m Sorry,” John Denver, 1975
“Rhinestone Cowboy,” Glen Campbell, 1975
“Thank God I’m a Country Boy,” John Denver, 1975
“Before the Next Teardrop Falls,” Freddy Fender, 1975
“(Hey Won’t You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song,” B.J. Thomas, 1975
“I Can Help,” Billy Swan, 1974
“The Most Beautiful Girl,” Charlie Rich, 1973
“Honey,” Bobby Goldsboro, 1968
“Harper Valley P.T.A.,” Jeannie C. Riley, 1968
“Big Bad John,” Jimmy Dean, 1961
“El Paso,” Marty Robbins, 1959-60
“The Battle of New Orleans,” Johnny Horton, 1959
Harlow’s ‘Lovin on Me’ Leads Rest of Top 10

Beyond Beyoncé on the Hot 100, Jack Harlow’s “Lovin on Me” ranks at No. 2, following six nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1. Still, it adds a sixth week atop Radio Songs and rules the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and Hot Rap Songs charts, which use the same methodology as the Hot 100, for a 14th week each.

Teddy Swims’ “Lose Control” rebounds 5-3 on the Hot 100, after reaching No. 2; Ye (formerly known as Kanye West) and Ty Dolla $ign’s “Carnival,” featuring Rich the Kid and Playboi Carti, dips 3-4 in its second week on the chart, as Ye and Ty Dolla $ign’s collaborative album Vultures 1 spends a second week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart; and Benson Boone’s “Beautiful Things” backtracks 4-5 on the Hot 100, after hitting No. 2.

SZA’s “Snooze” rises 7-6 on the Hot 100, after reaching No. 2, as it leads the multimetric Hot R&B Songs chart for a 30th week – tying her own “Kill Bill” for the longest command by a woman; among all songs dating to the chart’s 2012 launch, only The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights” has led longer (48 weeks, 2020-21).

Taylor Swift’s “Cruel Summer” falls 6-7 on the Hot 100, following four nonconsecutive weeks at No. 1 beginning in October, and Tate McRae’s “Greedy” pushes 9-8, after reaching No. 3.

Zach Bryan’s “I Remember Everything,” featuring Kacey Musgraves, slides 8-9 on the Hot 100, after it led for a week upon its debut last September. It leads the multimetric Hot Rock & Alternative Songs and Hot Rock Songs charts for a 26th week each.

Rounding out the Hot 100’s top 10, Doja Cat’s “Agora Hills” reenters the region (12-10), after hitting No. 7.

Again, for all chart news, you can follow billboard and billboardcharts on Billboard’s social accounts, and all charts (dated March 2), including the Hot 100 in its entirety, will refresh on Billboard.com tomorrow (Feb. 27).

Luminate, the independent data provider to the Billboard charts, completes a thorough review of all data submissions used in compiling the weekly chart rankings. Luminate reviews and authenticates data. In partnership with Billboard, data deemed suspicious or unverifiable is removed, using established criteria, before final chart calculations are made and published.
list GIF

Not @OutSynk again mocking chart stats on a forum initially built on chart stats! :(

KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE BABES! We love a good stat.

Reactions: RJN
I’ve played Texas Hold ‘Em I think twice and yet I’ve never been more irritated by a song EVER*. Why is it the soundtrack to just about every instagram reel in HISTORY? FUCK OFF.

*- Obvious over exaggeration for dramatic purposes

Still loving it. It shouldn't really work, but the lyrics, the vocal delivery, the way it builds, normally a song that is a 'catchy hook' alone would have a short shelf life with me, but something about this just keeps going.

I love her fixation with HORSES on album covers, I hope act iii depicts her as a CENTAUR :disco:

Texas has no grip on me, but Break My Soul is still smashing the sorb bb hot 100 charts at #2 behind Freed From Desire.

despite hating that silver blonde weave with a passion I do love the cover. it's gorgeous, striking and the title on the pageant sash is a touch of genius.

I'm really pleased for her although Texas Hold 'Em doesn't do much for me. 16 Carriages however? Phenomenal.

Either way I'm excited for this era. She's just absolute epitome of "superstar" for me. No one alive comes close. No one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom