Beyoncé - The Lion King: The Gift [New Album sort of]

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
Out on Friday. Hope it has some actual songs with hummable tunes on it!

beyonce-the-gift-tracklist-tgj-600x274.jpg

D_mTPjLXsAAtoRw.jpg

Oh. I wasn’t expecting this.

So this isn’t just the soundtrack? It’s an I’m Breathless style “songs from and inspired by”?

Separate to the soundtrack, I think only Spirit is on both. The rest of the songs here are 'inspired by'

Well there appears to be lots of appetite for this on here :side-eye:

Track 1 was written by Raye, as she very excitably announced on Twitter.

All those features and poor Michelle and Kelly are snubbed :(

To be honest the mix of Beyonce and live action Disney remake is a pretty toxic unappealing combo for me. I am right off of her these days. I would love to be proven wrong, but on balance MEH/ EURGH.

I think these days Beyonce films videos and then she records the songs as an afterthought to accompany them

At least there was SOME personality to her earlier work. Now she's so self-indulgent and thinks she's changing the world with rubbish trap music.

I hate it when egotistic people start getting political.

Is this on Spotify yet? I can’t find it. :evil:

At least there was SOME personality to her earlier work. Now she's so self-indulgent and thinks she's changing the world with rubbish trap music.

Exactly. Who does she think she is - Madame X?

Is this on Spotify yet? I can’t find it. :evil:
This companion album is out tomorrow. The film's soundtrack :) is out now as is the Cast Recording from the Broadway show :)

I think I’m delirious. I woke up thinking it was Friday. :D:(

you're literally describing Madonna there, but she's not boring and being political ain't a bad thing! if anything, Madame X proved she still has some life in her. What I meant to say is Beyonce has been peddling bland boring shite for the past 4 years not caring about quality control (I mean she ended up being inserted in an Ed Sheeran song to keep being relevant UGH)
Lemonade had it moments but there was nothing coming close to Green Light, End Of Time or an XO?

i saw a headline that she's flopping yesterday. is it true or are the vultures just circling now she's almost 40? i guess she's due a taste of the flops so that rihanna can reign supreme before she starts flopping herself as she approaches the big f...

i can't say i have any sympathy left for beyonka but it must really sucks to be a female pop music superstar over a certain age.

Flopping with what? The album isn't even out yet :D

She hasn't had a proper crossover hit in years, but I think she's created such an iconic image around herself that such dated concerns as commercial success and listenable tunes aren't really relevant any more.

Flopping with what? The album isn't even out yet :D

She hasn't had a proper crossover hit in years, but I think she's created such an iconic image around herself that such dated concerns as commercial success and listenable tunes aren't really relevant any more.

she has a new single out, i imagine that's what was being referred to.

i don't think commerical success could ever stop being relevant if you've had it at the levels someone like she has. i'm sure she has a lot more to come in the future but her star is starting to fade if my friends' attitudes towards her lately are any indication.

Well the early word is that 'The Lion King' is going to be a box office disappointment, but that could hardly be pinned on her. I don't think soundtrack singles are indicative of much. If they're a hit, bonus, but it's no damage to her brand.

Her last UK top ten as a lead performer was way back in 2013 (Drunk In Love). So it's definitely been some time. But she'll always have that kind of megastar mystique that she could probably spend the rest of her career doing whatever she likes with scant regard for where it lands in the Hot 100. I think that's kind of uniquely true of her in a way that it certainly isn't for your Taylor Swift and Katy Perry types.

I still haven't listened to Lemonade, because it was only on Tidal for so long and I feel like she's so 'of the moment' culturally that there wasn't much point catching up once it was on a service I have access to.

With that in mind, and to paraphrase a well-known philosopher (aka @Suedey), let's face it she's OVER :devil:

Lemonade is the most overrated album of all time.
As much as I hate it when people quote themselves (UGH), this was probably harsh.

It's certainly not as overrated as Sgt. Pepper's or Dark Side of the Moon & other records of that ILK. Time will tell if it will join the likes of those albums in 10 or 20 years in critics' lists I suppose at which time I will re-assess.

Beyonce top 10:

1. Crazy in Love
2. Sweet Dreams
3. Telephone
4. Partition
5. Pretty Hurts
6. Baby Boy
7. XO
8. Ave Maria
9. Haunted
10. Smash into You

Lemonade is a brilliant album. As is Beyoncé. But the former works much better as a whole than the individual parts.

Lemonade is a brilliant album. As is Beyoncé. But the former works much better as a whole than the individual parts.
Maybe I need to revisit it. I did give it a GENUINE go at the time and played it several times but it just didn't work for me.

I might give it a SPIN this weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom