Big Boys

I am still in episode 3 of this and I can tell this is not going to end well.

It is rather lovely and very funny too, even if there are certain elements (so far anyway) that feel a bit two-dimensional. Like no one can be as fucking intensely hapless as the main character or be cool with absolutely everything everyone ever does like Danny seems to be. But I get what they're trying to represent, and it's sweet to see anyway.

On one hand, YAY!, but given how tight the first series was, I worry that any subsequent series will struggle to reach the high bar already set.

Reactions: COB

On one hand, YAY!, but given how tight the first series was, I worry that any subsequent series will struggle to reach the high bar already set.

I mentioned before that I think they could have a lot more fun with a second series now the world building has been done.

I also think it’s likely they’ll end it in tears rather than chance a third series.

I think this show went from high to low and by the end it had lost a bit of steam. Or at least the premise it had started from (the relationship between a straight guy and a gay guy) kind of got lost along the way with all the (separate) subplots about coming out and mental health. The two leads spend most of the last episode in separate storylines!

Also it took them three episodes to start Uni and by episode 5 they were already at the end of the course. A lot of the relationship between characters felt unearnt as you hadn't seen them really progressing as characters.

Also as much as I like Camille Coduri, her subplots were a bit too HUN GAY CULTURE for me, and again it took time away from the two main leads.

A lot of the relationship between characters felt unearnt
This was exactly my issue. We were told they were friends as opposed to being shown they were friends. I think a second series would help on that front, especially if it was played more for straight up comedy than shoehorning in a load of subplots.

Series 2 was released yesterday, but you can only watch it if you pay for Channel4+

No idea when it will be available to us plebs 😡

This was ok. Some real belly laughs and cackles sprinkled throughout.

Maddy from The traitors appears at one point

I’m sure they’ll at least do a third series to finish off the university ‘experience’.

Oh I LOVED this, really really glad it’s back and can’t wait to watch!

Jon Pointing is absolutely stunning :disco:

Very much looking forward to this.

I also recommend Smothered on Sky for some Jon Pointing rom com fun.

Watched the first two last night! Loved Maddy's little moment. As brilliant as the first series, looking forward to binging the rest.

MADDY :disco:

I don't think it really mattered but my Sky box decided to skip episode 2 and download 3 after 1 so I watched out of order.

I'll pop an episode of this on tonight, hope it's as good as the first series! It was just SO feel good for me.

Enjoyed first episode! It’s a very interesting watch for me because I was in this exact demographic in 2014 (a bit younger than Danny. For arguments sake I was ABOUT THERE).

The parallel ends there though. I mean I’m sure many of you will remember in 2014 I was fuck all like this lovable protagonist.

I've seen the first three of s2 and loved them

My highlights so far include the very heterosexual estate agent and subsequent brief homage to Linda Barker's tea pot disaster, the focus on Alison Hammond's Strictly run, and literally any sad or warm-hearted bits involving our Danny :(

Same. 3 episodes in. Trying not to binge the entire thing at once. It’s just so good.

I’m binging it right now. Told myself I’d watch it slowly but I’m just loving it!!!

I’d definitely would’ve been LOSING it over sexy Tim too (back in the day, I don’t invest any time infatuating over men now)

I feel like this peaked at episode 3 or 4 and whilst the rest of the series was still excellent (like, brilliant) it felt a bit like a novel that had its final book split
Into two movies to stretch it out and make more money.

That said, I welcome as many more series of this as we can get because it’s just so good. I’m fully assuming there will be a third and probably even fourth.

I agree it peaked with Danny's birthday in episode four. The first half of episode five felt a bit fillerish before things got back on track again.

The last episode could serve as a finale but it would make sense to do a final series for the third year of university.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom