Blondie - new album, UK tour, box set

POP!

Let the light in
Apparently lots of stuff in the works. The new album will be produced by John Congleton (Pollinator), and 10-12 songs are in development. The box set doesn't have a release date yet but will span the complete discography of 1974-1982 and feature unreleased bonus material.

They seem to deliver every OTHER album post-reunion (I enjoy No Exit, Panic of Girls, Pollinator but not much in between), which doesn't bode that well for this album but I'm optimistic given their involvement with the same producer.

They seem to deliver every OTHER album post-reunion (I enjoy No Exit, Panic of Girls, Pollinator but not much in between), which doesn't bode that well for this album but I'm optimistic given their involvement with the same producer.
100% agree, let's hope they can break this 20+ year cycle!

Pollinator RATE - 4 years on (Blondie top ten coming later after some reflection)

09 Doom or Destiny
10 Long Time
09 Already Naked
04 Fun
07 My Monster
07 Best Day Ever
07 Gravity
07 When I Gave Up on You
08 Love Level
08 Too Much
10 Fragments
(09 Tonight)

This box set is fast becoming mythical. It was slated for 2019 but it seems the Numero Uno label got pushed out (after releasing that Heart Of Glass 12" in 2018) and the project entered Development Hell.

Yes, that box set us almost up there with the new Abba material

If Debbie, Ag and Fred all make it to the respective release dates I'll be pleased, but I'm not sure I'd bet money on it.

This box set is fast becoming mythical. It was slated for 2019 but it seems the Numero Uno label got pushed out (after releasing that Heart Of Glass 12" in 2018) and the project entered Development Hell.

I'm sure it was promised for this summer but I think I read it is next year now.

As far as the new album goes, happy with Congleton producing again and with it mainly being in band material as they had involvement in most of the best Pollinator tracks.

The latest on the box set was that it was stalled due to the vinyl production during the height of the pandemic. But I think that would have been back in order within a few months.

Not entirely sure I see that as more than a festive Rapture remix, but 2021 giving us Blondie and Abba Christmas tracks. What a time to be a stately homo :disco:

10 Doom or Destiny what a zippy, exuberant lead. Sharper than a Q Magazine attending Debbie Harry dress made of sharp things. And those ooohs are like sweat dripping down the middle of one's back. Oooh Debbie, you queen of the underground.
10 Only to be obliterated so casually by the casual Long Time in no time. Harry soothes the wounds of someone who has never been her all their life. Imagine. Oh the thrill, the agony and the in between. It bristles along in the most splendid of world-weary ways. "Even seen you lose it, but who cares?" is one of those connecting lyrics that wins the whole room over - that the whole room is already putty in her hands at the very idea of breathing the same air is besides the point.
09 Already Naked continues their leading start. If that middle 8 isn't a top down/tops off moment I don't know what is. Fade away and radiate - hold the fade out.
08 I do wonder if Fun is part of their Deee-Lite discovery. I did not like this until now. It's running away with my imagination.
08 My Monster is giving me a hit of Cristina's Ticket to the Tropics. My gawd.
08 Best Day Ever love, love, love the rough morning after vocal. I feel like I've just chapped on her door at the wrong time (with the wrong time being anytime before 9pm). I don't have the credits in front of me, but whilst this may not be the winning ticket, the production is really giving us a good ride indeed. "Thank god we met". The useful noise of the instrumental bit has me quite foggy eyed for it.
08 Gravity is it reverb? Oh. Well, on the chorus it's a wonderful nervous overload, but I'd like the full growl and pout for the verses please. The middle-8 is a dizzying racket and have they ever sounded this messily gorgeous?
07 When I Gave Up on You letting some air in. Not quite matching the bold finds of those remarkable opening 2, but it's nice.
08 Love Level No Doubt meets The Neptunes (in a good way, not a solo Gwen way).
10 Too Much is a jackpot. Another lightning bolt of Blondie. That makes 3.
10 Fragments presumably because we're all in pieces after the ordeal of how iconic this whole outing has been. Oh if only they had recorded a video - "fucking prove it" would have been the gif to end all gifs. This was getting a 9, but the gear changes and all those short fast ones from Harry just made me a wreck. I'm dead. 5 minutes in and we're still peaking. Make that 6, we've just got a new ribbon of melody spiralling into oblivion. This is pop rapture. I can't believe I'm still breathing after all that.

Tonight is a nice add-on. Yes, the album is a 9.

I'm on my 2nd lap and am concluding this to be one of the best albums of all time. 1998/9 headphones 24/7 me would have never opened their eyes again. That "yeah eeh yeah eeh ohh" in Already Naked reminds me of something I'm now dying to remember.

With Chris being in not so good health (:() meaning he is missing the tour, I wonder where they are with the new album? He said he's been writing his memoir and hopefully that box set is still on the cards too.

10 Doom or Destiny what a zippy, exuberant lead. Sharper than a Q Magazine attending Debbie Harry dress made of sharp things. And those ooohs are like sweat dripping down the middle of one's back. Oooh Debbie, you queen of the underground.
10 Only to be obliterated so casually by the casual Long Time in no time. Harry soothes the wounds of someone who has never been her all their life. Imagine. Oh the thrill, the agony and the in between. It bristles along in the most splendid of world-weary ways. "Even seen you lose it, but who cares?" is one of those connecting lyrics that wins the whole room over - that the whole room is already putty in her hands at the very idea of breathing the same air is besides the point.
09 Already Naked continues their leading start. If that middle 8 isn't a top down/tops off moment I don't know what is. Fade away and radiate - hold the fade out.
08 I do wonder if Fun is part of their Deee-Lite discovery. I did not like this until now. It's running away with my imagination.
08 My Monster is giving me a hit of Cristina's Ticket to the Tropics. My gawd.
08 Best Day Ever love, love, love the rough morning after vocal. I feel like I've just chapped on her door at the wrong time (with the wrong time being anytime before 9pm). I don't have the credits in front of me, but whilst this may not be the winning ticket, the production is really giving us a good ride indeed. "Thank god we met". The useful noise of the instrumental bit has me quite foggy eyed for it.
08 Gravity is it reverb? Oh. Well, on the chorus it's a wonderful nervous overload, but I'd like the full growl and pout for the verses please. The middle-8 is a dizzying racket and have they ever sounded this messily gorgeous?
07 When I Gave Up on You letting some air in. Not quite matching the bold finds of those remarkable opening 2, but it's nice.
08 Love Level No Doubt meets The Neptunes (in a good way, not a solo Gwen way).
10 Too Much is a jackpot. Another lightning bolt of Blondie. That makes 3.
10 Fragments presumably because we're all in pieces after the ordeal of how iconic this whole outing has been. Oh if only they had recorded a video - "fucking prove it" would have been the gif to end all gifs. This was getting a 9, but the gear changes and all those short fast ones from Harry just made me a wreck. I'm dead. 5 minutes in and we're still peaking. Make that 6, we've just got a new ribbon of melody spiralling into oblivion. This is pop rapture. I can't believe I'm still breathing after all that.

Tonight is a nice add-on. Yes, the album is a 9.
It is such a good album and kudos to them letting outside collaborators on board, it really seemed to renew their energy.

A mere £210!

I know, it does look pretty stunning though. And they are offering up just the rarities separately for those who don't want all the albums again which is pretty benevolent of them (though the vinyl version of that still ain't cheap).

I think I will probably go for the bumper CD version.

Very pleased as I really thought this announcement of this long-promised release was never going to come :D

I'm so happy that this is finally here- less so at that price, but it really is worth it. And EXCELLENT work offering up the rarities separately- that's how it should be!

I wonder if this finally puts the rumours of the "Parallel Lines" title track to bed as well- as surely it doesn't exist. That would have been the biggest carrot of all here.

I have all the studio albums already, but I REALLY want that damned book...

I hope it's on streaming for us POVVOS but considering a good chunk of their discography has got lost in the shuffle I won't hold my breath.

(And let's be honest, they got screwed out of a FORTUNE, so happy if they can recoup a bit with those vinyl prices).

Is it fairly complete in terms of what has been released already? I am not the most knowledgeable regarding Blondie but it looks like the live tracks on the end of Blonde and Beyond aren't there (but fair enough as they are saying it is an archival project).

Everything from the cd remasters is there, they've said, and there has been scant release since, as far as I'm aware.

There's some mixes missing, though- presuming the albums are just the albums, off the top of my head, both Heart of Glass and Call Me had remixes which don't appear to be here.

Everything from the cd remasters is there, they've said, and there has been scant release since, as far as I'm aware.

There's some mixes missing, though- presuming the albums are just the albums, off the top of my head, both Heart of Glass and Call Me had remixes which don't appear to be here.

Yes on checking my CDs can see remixes of Live It Up and War Child aren't there either. Still if they are tailoring it for LP release I suppose you can't expect too many extended versions to be included.

Delivery for the 8CD on their store is over a tenner so Amazon's price of just under £90 is currently marginally cheaper. Have preordered with them and can cancel if a better deal shows itself.

Amazon appear to be more expensive for the vinyl at the moment though.

Ooh that’s random. One of my favourites from Autoamerican. Interesting to hear it before they chose to take it full blown country.

I'm a little Autoamericanster so it's nice to hear another version, and it sounds a lot more classically Blondie than the final version.

I like the demo -it has a slightly more California vibe than the final product and more reminiscent of the debut album. But the original was never among my favorites on Autoamerican.

The box set is also giving us "Angels on the Balcony" (<3) and "Live it Up" demos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom