Blood donation rules relaxed for gay and bisexual men

A step in the right direction but I don't see why it should matter whether you had bum sex with more than one partner as long as condoms were correctly used? I feel safe enough that way (always do use them) and I'm pretty risk averse.

I've always thought it was a bit weird. Is the blood not screened anyway?

It is, but HIV can take a couple of months to show up in tests after first infection. APPARENTLY.

Also blood is tested in batches, so it's not just the individual donor's blood that is spoiled.

I was DENIED from giving blood in July. Our rules here had been changed from not having anal sex for 6 months to 3 months, and I figured it would be a good time to give blood because of my covid-related abstinence. But the place I went to didn't know about the new policies yet.

The worst part is that the female nurse was kind of hitting on me at first, and then she checked no on the anal sex question without even asking me, and then I had to correct her. I could have lied, since I know my HIV status (which most straight people DON'T!), but I felt weird about lying. It was all embarrassing

So it's still not the same blanket rules for everyone? If I do it I'm wearing a top that says "tart with a heart", but not if there are still extra rules for the homosexual do-gooder. Those "no anal" gays really are the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom