Books you’ve read in 2021

Hello my little bibliophiles. Well I've finally read SHUGGIE BAIN and it was good but not that good.

Don't forget to employ decent copyeditors is my main comment. "Agnes wretched"? Give me a break or even better give me a job.

I'm between books again but have some momentum going. I just loved the Lahiri stuff so much that it's hard to switch to another writer now.

any suggestions appreciated.

I’m reading the most delightful book that seems to be written for old ladies like me.

image.jpg

I've downloaded Beloved (Toni Morrison) and Hamnet (Maggie O'Farrell) on Kindle so will try those.

and I've got Mayflies by Andrew O'Hagan and The Shadow King by Manza Mengiste on audiobook.

I'm trying to get through everything Colm Toibin has ever written (fiction-wise), but cos I'm feeling angsty about my own writing, I'm not enjoying that so much. He's still my fave tho.

I also bought a copy of my mentor's book, which is going to be one of the biggest books of the year, so I'm excited about starting that.

I'm trying to get through everything Colm Toibin has ever written (fiction-wise), but cos I'm feeling angsty about my own writing, I'm not enjoying that so much. He's still my fave tho.

I also bought a copy of my mentor's book, which is going to be one of the biggest books of the year, so I'm excited about starting that.
which one are you on???

I’ve only read Story of the Night (nice but a bit dated) and The House of Names (which I loved). What else is recommended?

I’ve only read Story of the Night (nice but a bit dated) and The House of Names (which I loved). What else is recommended?
Read The Blackwater Lightship for sure. And also The Empty Family (short stories).

Brooklyn is good but felt like a bit of a downer after some of his others. I liked Nora Webster more.

And The South is his first (I think), and it reads at times like an early novel compared to something like The Story of the Night, but it's very atmospheric and powerful in its own way.

I still need to read a lot of his others, if Bev or anyone else can recommend one to dip into next. I started The Master in hospital but got sidetracked.

I've gone into another lull since late last week. I'm supposed to be reading a book for a book club but I'm not sold on it.

I've realised that I've never touched any of Rohinton Mistry's other novels/collections though, despite adoring A Fine Balance when I read it uni, so I'm finally excited to start something. :disco:

I'm nearly done with Coetzee's The Childhood of Jesus and I have to say it's my least favourite of his books so far. @Beverley darling what did you make of it?

I'm nearly done with Coetzee's The Childhood of Jesus and I have to say it's my least favourite of his books so far. @Beverley darling what did you make of it?
I've only read Disgrace and quite liked it, but never felt compelled to explore his other stuff.
Yeah I think I, too, need this in my life.
It arrived today! Alongside this as recommended by @Alex:

20210504_181102.jpg

This one is totally my fave.

Haven't read the childhood one yet! I'm reading Dusklands, want to get through all of his work one by one
Honestly love his writing so much and even The Childhood of Jesus revealed itself towards the end (took me a while to 'get it'). Queen of Pop!

2444.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom