Books you’ve read in 2021

Russian literature is my new passion, but I was so happy that the three French classics that I had ordered arrived today.... until it turned out that Les Misérables is a different size despite it being from the same Vintage Classics red spine series. It’s going to look ugly on the shelf next to the rest. :(

34A97345-CFD6-4A54-9007-7BD2F859E148.jpeg
FD702500-7A69-44AC-A004-6A555954CE20.jpeg

An orderly mess can be really nice when it comes to book shelves.

It currently looks like a total mess here. But @Mats aligning the books with the edges might be a good idea.

Next week I’m recieving 20 Penguin English Library books. They’re going to look fantastic on the other shelf, even if it means that I’ll have to read crap such as Moby Dick and Robinson Crosoe.

Never read any Chinese fiction I don't think! Well except for 'Do Not Say We Have Nothing' but not sure if that really counts... does it @Beverley ?

I think it does count, bebs. Its about the Cultural Revolution, after all, even if written by a diaspora writer. But I do get you, it's not a translation. I think I've read a few Chinese translations, the one I need to get round to is Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian.

An orderly mess can be really nice when it comes to book shelves.

It currently looks like a total mess here. But @Mats aligning the books with the edges might be a good idea.

I don't like the change of depth so I keep them all on the very edge of the shelf. this also means I have extra room behind for the... less displayable books

Next week I’m recieving 20 Penguin English Library books. They’re going to look fantastic on the other shelf, even if it means that I’ll have to read crap such as Moby Dick and Robinson Crosoe.

I found a 12 volume Sherlock Holmes series on the street a while back. I have read them all before, will never read them again, but I just had to have them :sour:

They have arrived but most of them were thinner than expected so I’ll have to buy at least ten more to fill the shelf. I had already owned about seven, here are the new ones:

Aren’t they pretty? Too girly? :disco:
EF72B293-84F0-4BBB-B896-3802D5918C59.jpeg

Wear me out @Mats !

I've just strarted the new Murakami - sorry I know we've apparently cancelled him here (hi @Jark !!) :bad:

Once I finish that I might return to my hun choice Matt Haig (hi @Beverley ), then probably Jamaica Inn (yes I've never actually read it @jivafox ), and then finally I will be able to join @RaspberrySwirl in bed with Anna Karenina by which time perhaps everyone else can also join? @jyxz @Barnacle

Last edited:
Oh I’m a Murakami LOON! I get the critism, but do I CARE? NO :D

He’s such a marmite author, and people who just don’t get it need to BORE OFF!

Anyway - the monkey story in the new book is the best one! I preferred the previous short story collection Men Without Women which had a couple of stories that I thought could have been fleshed out into novels - the one with the guy that opens the bar in particular,

Oh I’m a Murakami LOON! I get the critism, but do I CARE? NO :D

He’s such a marmite author, and people who just don’t get it need to BORE OFF!

Anyway - the monkey story in the new book is the best one! I preferred the previous short story collection Men Without Women which had a couple of stories that I thought could have been fleshed out into novels - the one with the guy that opens the bar in particular,
Yay Murakami loons unite :disco:

My favourite one from this collection thus far is 'With The Beatles.'

to be honest, is there much to get about Murakami? I think comforting is a good word to describe his (for me earlier) works because I've always felt that all the fantastic elements and the symbols are just ornaments and special effects, not symbolism

ugh my shelves are so disorderly and bulging, piles of books have even invaded the dining table now :D here's a snapshot of my Japanese section, which is only a fifth of our entire collection

IMG_20210601_082926.jpg

when I get a bigger apartment I want proper built-in bookshelves! (with secret compartments for the undesirables)

My Anna Quarantina reading is going incredibly slowly. I love it but it’s been 1.5 week and I’m only on page 120 (out of 990+). *panic*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom