Books you’ve read in 2021

You know what I mean. :eyes:
giphy.gif

I’m enjoying Maurice a lot, expecting to finish reading it this weekend.

That’s three gay books in a row (including The Velvet Rage). Don’t know if I should do another one or change theme and time and place completely.

I know what you mean but I've been in such a reading zone lately I don't want to disturb the flow. I'll carry on with the queer lit for a while longer I think but I do have a desire to go east and Pachinko is calling me.

I’m currently reading a YA lgbt book ‘Ace of spades’ by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé. I’m quite lazy picking the odd YA book up once in a while as it will be an ‘easier’ read.
Anyway, it’s billed as Gossip Girl vs Get Out. Two students in an elite school who are being cyber bullied via anonymous texts to the whole of the student body spilling secrets.

Reading My Policeman now with an additional audiobook remix edition.

Afterwards I might try and reattempt Shuggy Bain.

But I still have more Hollinghurst on the brain.
The Shuggie audiobook was good if that would help? What was it that put you off?

The Shuggie audiobook was good if that would help? What was it that put you off?
Oh no, I was just going through some stuff when I started it and it was bringing me down ever further. Nothing about the writing itself. I've got the audiobook too so thanks for the tip!

currently reading Nine Perfect Strangers in anticipation of the Hulu version starring Queen Nic. early signs are that it's QUITE GOOD.

I've dug out Girl, Interrupted in honour of the QUEEN OF POP returning. Probably not the wisest thing to read RIGHT NOW but OH WELL. :basil:

I've dug out Girl, Interrupted in honour of the QUEEN OF POP returning. Probably not the wisest thing to read RIGHT NOW but OH WELL. :basil:
I've never read it! I must do before the Queen unleashes the full Queens Of The Summer Hotel album (OUT IN NOVEMBER)

I'm rereading What Belongs to You but by audiobook.

Some of the language that I didn't pay attention to the first time around. :love:

Oh I need to do this too!
I finished it on Monday having devoured the last 200 pages or so in one sitting. it's delightful! the prose oscillates between genuinely sharp and witty and a little undercooked, and the characters are mostly pretty stock, but the story is really enjoyable, I laughed out loud several times, and there's a very tastefully done subplot about a deceased person that did make me a bit teary. Nicole will have SO MUCH FUN with the Masha character.

but the main protagonist, who's a blonde 52 year old romance novelist with a slightly childlike demeanour undergoing the menopause, feels like a weird fit for Melissa McCarthy :eyes:

I know I'll be that annoying bitch watching the show and harping on about THAT being DIFFERENT dans la LIBRE :disco:

Well I'm reading this now and I think I think! I may have finally had enough of Hollinghurst!

The-spell.jpg
:D:disco: Aren't they all exactly the same anyway? A constant stream of lithe youths called Tristram and their adventures up "the other"?

:D:disco: Aren't they all the same anyway? A constant stream of lithe youths called Tristram and their adventures up "the other"?
This one takes the cake though.

Robin
Justin
Alex
Dan 'Danny'

They drive 80mph to classical music when they're not pissfucking.

Favourite line so far: 'Darling, I AM my toilet.' :disco:

This one takes the cake though.

Robin
Justin
Alex
Dan 'Danny'

They drive 80mph to classical music when they're not pissfucking.

Favourite line so far: 'Darling, I AM my toilet.' :zombie:
Oh noooooooo :D

There's a slightly far fetched bit about a security guard snorting coke off a toilet cistern though even though he has a rich architect father (also gay, and a big cottaging fan) with a country house in DORSET.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Zu
The implausibility of listening to classical at 80mph is TOO MUCH and you can be sure it's fucking BAROQUE. Have these boys never heard of techno?

:side-eye:

Any GOOD queer fiction anyone can recommend? Although I'm quite tempted to read this one for reasons of sheer awfulness
In all seriousness when it comes to Hollinghurst I would strongly recommend The Line of Beauty and The Swimming Pool Library. I do believe The Spell is considered to be the runt of the litter so no surprise there.

Both @RaspberrySwirl and I really enjoyed EM Forster's Maurice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom