Books you've read in 2019

Shall we go for Death in Venice then?

We can keep one of Bev's Swedish suggestions for the WINTER SAISON :disco:

I actually have three editions on the shelf... I've read it before but will happily read it again

Well girls, I finally finished “A Little Life” and what a journey.

I even had the NERVE towards the end to think the ending wasn’t as depressing as I was hoping and then that final chapter came along and SLAPPED me in the face. :D

Can you recommend the best translation @Mats ?

they're all in Danish, alas. but a bit of googling tells me that the translation by Michael Henry Heim is pretty good. many of the older ones tip-toe around the sensual/sexual context. here's a few lines that seem to sum it up well:

Heim’s Death in Venice is, generally, a more lyrical, sympathetic book—a slightly more intimate and personal book—than Lowe-Porter’s rather stern, disapproving one. Lowe-Porter gave us a clownish, foolish Aschenbach—a figure who would not seem out of place in a Fellini movie. Heim also gives us a man in the throes of passion, and treats him with the respect that passion deserves.

https://pen.org/death-in-venice-2/

Well girls, I finally finished “A Little Life” and what a journey.

I even had the NERVE towards the end to think the ending wasn’t as depressing as I was hoping and then that final chapter came along and SLAPPED me in the face. :D

The ending was fucking misery. :(

I agree, you should all read People in the Trees. It’s however a totally different kind of a book. I also found it a lot easier to get into.

@Mats I've just started Killing Commandatore. Shall I just give up? :D

as you might've figured I haven't even bothered :D I remember asking my old Japanese professor what he thought shortly after its Japanese publication and he just shrugged... and one of my favourite reviewers did the same. so nil points from the intelligentsia

my father-in-law loved it but he is rather gullible

What’s the reason behind this?

I’m soon about to embark on my second attempt at reading IQ84.

Murakami is so boring
He wasn't always though. The problem with his writing is when you've read two or three books you've read them all. Kafka on the beach and Norwegean wood are excellent novels.

Killing Commendatore could've been good if it were written by someone else.

He wasn't always though. The problem with his writing is when you've read two or three books you've read them all. Kafka on the beach and Norwegean wood are excellent novels.

Killing Commendatore could've been good if it were written by someone else.

I read Kafka and started off really liking it, then by about half way through, I was like, 'WHY IS THIS STUFF HAPPENING? WHAT IS THE POINT?'

Also, he doesn't know how to write women.

Important update: I’ve aborted my plan of reading IQ84 and started reading The God of Small Things. So far not had much time, but if I’m lucky I’ll finish it this week, which means I have room for another book next week, making it 45 in total.

Important update: I’ve aborted my plan of reading IQ84 and started reading The God of Small Things. So far not had much time, but if I’m lucky I’ll finish it this week, which means I have room for another book next week, making it 45 in total.
I think I'll end 2019 with 45 as well bishes.

A few more to add, I think that's me done for the year.

3Qk3t3t.gif

4omJ7Z8.jpg

Y8IJpfC.png

Kwl9JNg.jpg

i9USm0u.png

Last edited:
I finished that bloody KNAUSGAARD in the end. I've always had PERSEVERANCE

Then I read THIS

81mUVKPj8gL._AC_UL436_.jpg

"a metatextual farce" :vomit:

And then THIS

DinnerHomesickRestaurant.JPG

I really liked some of the first ones (I've read them all now apart from part 5) but the last one is a REAL SLOG

I’ve read most of Atwood now but curiously never “Oryx & Crake” which I’ve just started now. I’m 146 pages in and desperate for answers.

I’ve read most of Atwood now but curiously never “Oryx & Crake” which I’ve just started now. I’m 146 pages in and desperate for answers.
That's the first in the MadAddam trilogy. They're great and they could be your corona isolation 'booktracks'!

The only Atwood novel I've not read is Life Before Man. It's on the shelves at the moment..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom