Boris Johnson vs Covid - intensive care and subsequent self-isolation

The rhetoric among Tory voters over the last few months has changed to ‘we only LENT him our vote, we’ll vote Labour next time’. He obviously has the die-hards on his side but I’ve never seen people make such conscious efforts to distance themselves from their vote.

It was a single issue election. The shit from that single issue is just weeks away from hitting the fan. The reality will dawn on the majority very quickly, however keen the press will be to blame it all on Covid.

I will never understand the mentality of hating the EU so much that you vote for this pack of cretins just for the sake of Brexit.

The cynic in me thinks they’ll call an election when Boris goes in the hope that Labour takes over and gets the blame for the post Brexit catastrophe and inevitable rejoining of the EU.

I don't think so. Tories don't relinquish power lightly. It would be too much of a gamble. Also, I don't think Labour would win that election at the moment. Then there's Scottish independence, which the Tories are vehemently against - a Labour government in 2021/22 would set Scottish independence and the reunification of Ireland in motion.

The Tories will be very aware that they can have a disasterous PM who nobody likes anyway, probably Gove, who can be in power for two years, take the blame for everything and then get knifed for Rishi eighteen months before the next election.

are they ACTUALLY plotting to oust him? I mean who would be primed to replace him? Rishi ain't ready yet surely. it could be unpretty PRITI which would be much worse for the UK so i wouldn't be celebrating his scheduled downfall just yet.

I very much doubt he'll be binned. A year ago he won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher, and as much as Moopy detests him, the Conservatives are still polling at around 40%. Even when they slipped, it was to 36%. Cameron would have fucked another pig to be polling consistently in the high 30/low 40%s. As things stand, I suspect he'll win the next election.

I very much doubt he'll be binned. A year ago he won the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher, and as much as Moopy detests him, the Conservatives are still polling at around 40%. Even when they slipped, it was to 36%. Cameron would have fucked another pig to be polling consistently in the high 30/low 40%s. As things stand, I suspect he'll win the next election.
Does Johnson even want to stand for the next election? Nevermind getting knifed. He might just resign and go off and do a much easier job for a lot more money.

I completely agree. I don't see Boris going anywhere, especially if this deal with the EU is closed.

I think this is wishful thinking I'm afraid - people said the same about Trump
The only thing I would say about this is, Johnson is a lot less insulated from the people who criticise him than Trump was. You can see how deflated PMQs makes him, for example. He is very visibly not enjoying himself, and then you have the rumours from the right wing press about him complaining behind the scenes that I wouldn't count it out.

If I was to make a bet, right now, then I would bet on him not being the leader for the next election. Clearly Starmer thinks it's quite possible, given how much he is going after Sunak at the moment.

Johnson is clearly not enjoying being PM - he's known to have complained about the salary and the workload. He is quite clearly struggling health-wise and he has an infant son. At some point, this will topple over. Remember Thatcher - won 3 elections but, cometh the hour, they still knifed her.

It’s the only thing about his tenure I actually enjoy. He’s wanted this for so long and is proving week after week how disastrously unsuited he is to it.

It's almost as if the characteristics our political system values in terms of media profile and voter engagement don't come together to produce functioning leaderships or something. :eyes:

I think it was Marina Hyde that said that Boris Johnson always wanted to become Prime Minister and that he wants to have been Prime Minister but that it never seems like he really wants to be Prime Minister.

Clearly Starmer thinks it's quite possible, given how much he is going after Sunak at the moment.

I'm dreading that scenario. There was a Labour attack ad on Sunak a while ago going on about his private beach, 'celebrity lifestyle' and expensive gadgets.

Don't use your own ad spend to make your opponent look COOL.

Isobel's tweet is a bit shit innit? No sympathy for a Tory but the man can't help his height.

Reactions: SDF
I remember reading an article about some gay hsbc exec, and when asked if he felt being gay ever held him back he said something along the lines of he was more likely to be taken less seriously because of his height than his sexuality.

Justice 4 shorties

Anyway I debated changing shorties to smaller people. But then it’s a term of endearment so love and light xxx

Saw this on FB today, not sure where it's from.

125767632_3059381950830460_2846058479325159727_o.jpg

He’a currently at 34%, although it’s quite frankly astonishing that a third of people think he’s doing a good job.

He’a currently at 34%, although it’s quite frankly astonishing that a third of people think he’s doing a good job.

As always, it depends which polling data you look at. The latest polls put up by Britain Elects have the Conservatives at 40% (level with Labour) although that's by Redfield who I've not heard of before, two have them at 40% with Labour in 36% (ComRes and Kantar) and one has them at 38% with Labour on 42% (Opinium). Going back to 6 Nov, YouGov has 40% Labour and 35% Conservatives. The trend seems to be an improvement for Boris in the past few days.

He's just doing his best bless him and I'd like to see any of you do any better by the way did I mention I hate black people and kids today should get beaten more. :)

He's just doing his best bless him and I'd like to see any of you do any better by the way did I mention I hate black people and kids today should get beaten more. :)
I’ve seen the ‘I’d like to see Labour handle Covid any better’ argument busted out in his defence. Seriously, Jez would just have needed to turn up to the odd briefing and act like a human adult from time to time and even then it would have made him a thousand times better than what we ended up with.

I’ve seen the ‘I’d like to see Labour handle Covid any better’ argument busted out in his defence.

The fact is, this isn't even a hard question to answer. As useless as Corbyn was as a leader, the ideology of his ministers and advisers would have meant they had much less qualms about expensive financial packages funded by borrowing, and would have had a greater emphasis on health than profits. I'm sure if shit really hit the fan they'd have been able to tempt back Gordon Brown to advise them as well, who would know a thing or two about financial crises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom