Britney Spears - Work Bitch

Go call the police, go call the GOV-UH-NUH

• Total voters

POP!

Let the light in
This is Britney's last truly great single for me (her last million seller in the States I believe, although "Make Me" may be close), and it sits firmly in my all time Britney top five. How do we feel about it six years on?

Also, the video elevates it that much more. She gave so much weird nervous energy off in 2011-2013 but for some reason she completely delivered here. There are so many good shots of her.

LastingNegligibleHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

britneygif.gif

After britneys terrible gig at Brighton pride some homophobe was mouthing off on the train home and he started to get berated by the whole LGBT carriage, and this absolute queen at the end piped up "go call the governah"; think there's a video somewhere

Terrible production, absolute EDM garbage. Could have been better if produced by someone else. Video was great though.

Well I think it's really good - its use of the rhetorical question as a narrative device and commentary on socio-economic status is what sets it apart from being standard EDM fodder.

Not my favourite but it's clearly endured better than virtually anything else post-Blackout in the public consciousness.

I do wish Alien had gotten a proper single release. It's so good. I believe she really liked it and pushed for a release too.

Terrible production, absolute EDM garbage. Could have been better if produced by someone else. Video was great though.
Maybe I don’t have as refined an ear, but to me it still sounds incredibly crisp and flows perfectly. The middle eight gives it a classic Britney touch while the rest pushes the envelope enough without sounding like every other EDM track at that moment.

And yes “Alien” is wonderful (aside from that sloppy glitch) , shame about the rest of the album.

After britneys terrible gig at Brighton pride some homophobe was mouthing off on the train home and he started to get berated by the whole LGBT carriage, and this absolute queen at the end piped up "go call the governah"; think there's a video somewhere
I need this video in my life!

So this - I was listening to it just the other day and thought wow, how deep in her career it is and yet just how amazing it still is!

It was an absolute phenomenon in my tiny gay circle when it came out. And even to this day I would still get angry looks from my queens if I don't instantly join in for the 'Work! Work! Work! Work!' choreo.

At the time I LOVED it but it's a bit like the musical equivalent of a Chinese takeaway - enjoyed it at the time but half an hour later I'm starving again and wanting more.

10/10 at the time; 8/10 now. But overall it's pretty amazing. Definitely sits w/Slave, Oops etc as one of the signature tracks of her career (below Toxic and BOMT).

i mean it’s a piece of glorious trash in the best possible way. I imagine Derrick Barry sings it to himself in the mirror every single morning :disco:

The lyrics are RIDICULOUS also, particularly:

You want a hot body? You want a Bugatti?
You want a Maserati? You better work bitch :D

The lyrics are ridiculous because approximately ZERO PERCENT of the song is actually sung. It's just her talking and burping into a microphone.

The lyrics are ridiculous because approximately ZERO PERCENT of the song is actually sung. It's just her talking and burping into a microphone.
This is incorrect though. I just calculated and about 35% of it is actually sung (whether by her or someone else).

For me this works and I am fond of it but its not one of her best singles or songs.

It was a good lead single, and helped in terms of those Britney cliché pop culture moments like 'its Britney bitch' etc however as a song I can't warm to it very much

How this wasn't a 16-week #1 I will never know. In our gym-body-obsessed world, this is the defining anthem of a generation.

And the video is a complete serve. Giving us lewks and choreo like it was '01. Queen.

12/10

The perfect song for when you're starting to struggle during a workout. Iconic lyrics
A Little Bit Alexis kind of sounds just like it :D

Yes, you need to know how to strategically place it in her workout, otherwise you will peak too soon.

Reactions: RJN
It's Britney Spears in 2013, that's how. The industry exchanged her for younger girls.

Nah, I reckon it was more the fact the comeback was now four albums deep and steam was running out when if you aren’t going to promote (or, can’t perhaps in this case) goodwill will eventually stop and diminishing returns will set in. A shame, as this is a banger, but when you are as engaged as a 7 year old to your world class pop career people will eventually stop bothering.

I mean it didn't do too bad on the charts. The bigger problem was that the rest of the album was generic rubbish that could've been attributed to any other pop career. There was nothing to follow WB up with.

Except maybe Passenger. That had a very unmistakable Britney quality to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom