Britney's court testimony on the conservatorship

On another level am a little worried that if this takes 13 years to escape/overturn for someone like Britney I dread to think what is the fate of normal people who find themselves in sth like this.

I find it very ironic (and disturbing) that he literally resigned before doing the one thing she asked of him - to file a petition to terminate the c-ship. Even if he is correct in that he informed her of the options, and she decided not to voice her desire to terminate it before the hearing... does it really fucking MATTER?

Via the @deuxmoi gossip IG page

BDBA9B21-A81A-4BCE-A221-2AE253A2DAB2.png

Britney Spears’ Conservator Won’t Step Aside; Lynne Spears Asks Court to Allow Daughter to Hire Own Attorney​

Britney Spears’ court-appointed conservator told the court on Wednesday that she has been getting death threats ever since Spears spoke out against the conservatorship last month.

Jodi Montgomery asked the court to allow Spears’ conservatorship estate to pay for the cost of round-the-clock security at Montgomery’s home. In the motion, Montgomery also said Spears wants her to remain as the conservator of Spears’ “person,” and that Montgomery will not be resigning.

“Since Ms. Spears has requested that Petitioner retain her position as conservator, Petitioner has no intention of abandoning her by resigning because of these threats,” Montgomery’s attorneys wrote.

They also included text messages from Spears to Montgomery, in which Spears wrote: “I need u to stay as my co conservator of person. I’m asking u for ur assistance in getting a new attorney. Thank u for ur help.”

Spears denounced the conservatorship in a public hearing on June 23, calling it abusive and asking Judge Brenda Penny to end it. She said she had been barred from seeing a doctor to have an IUD removed, and that her family — in particular her father — had wielded undue control over her life and her finances.

Since then, there has been some confusion over when Spears might file a motion to end the conservatorship.

Her court-appointed attorney, Samuel Ingham, filed his resignation from the case on Tuesday. Spears’ manager, Larry Rudolph, also announced over the holiday weekend that he would no longer be representing Spears, given that she intends to retire from performing.

In a filing on Tuesday, Spears’ mother, Lynne Spears, asked the judge to “listen to the wishes of her daughter,” and allow Spears to hire her own private attorney. Lynne Spears’ attorney said such a move would be “a first step.”

“It is self-evident that before the Court addresses, for example, the termination of the conservatorship, Conservatee must be allowed to consult with counsel of her choosing,” Lynne Spears’ attorney wrote. “Clearly, Conservatee needs private counsel to advise her as to her basic rights in this conservatorship.”

Montgomery stated that she has received threats throughout the case, but that the amount and the severity of the threats increased dramatically after the June 23 hearing. She said she was advised to get 24/7 security for at least a couple of months, and she provided an estimate that it would cost $25,000 every two weeks. The conservatorship estate, overseen by Jamie Spears, has been covering the cost. But Jamie Spears’ attorneys have also said they need a court order to allow the payments to continue, and that if the court denies the request, Montgomery would be personally liable for the expense.

Jamie Lynn is releasing a book called I Must Confess :D :manson: Would've been a great title for a memoir if it was written by the person who sang the lyric and not their SISTER

Jamie Lynn is releasing a book called I Must Confess :D :manson: Would've been a great title for a memoir if it was written by the person who sang the lyric and not their SISTER

Why hasn't she used a memorable line from *checks notes* short-lived Nickelodeon original Zoey 101?

She is reportedly taking steps in hiring her own counsel to remove Jamie and end the conservatorship, and the prospective lawyer is kind of a daddy:

"Pursuant to my statement in open court on June 23, 2021, my rights, and my desire to end the above-referenced conservatorship as to my father Jamie P. Spears, it is my desire to choose and retain my own counsel, at Greenberg, Traurig, LLP as set forth above."

The document is signed "BRITNEY JEAN SPEARS"
E58Tyl8WQAMX0Ti.jpg

Matthew Rosengart has represented a number of high-profile clients over the years, including Steven Spielberg, Sean Penn, Ben and Casey Affleck, Eddie Vedder, Soledad O'Brien, Michael Mann and NBA star Jimmy Butler.

Rosengart have not yet formally agreed to represent Britney, but if he does, according to TMZ, "the mission will be to attempt to end the conservatorship, although the first step is removing Jamie."

They add: "Britney has already asked the judge to end the conservatorship without any further medical evaluation. That will be an uphill climb, because nearly 2 dozen doctors and therapists have weighed in over the years ... saying Britney has a serious mental illness that would imperil her safety if left to her own devices. The judge did not indicate whether she's receptive to bypassing a mental health exam as a pre-condition to ending the conservatorship."

Another hurdle is, because she's in a conservatorship, Britney is unable to legally enter a contract with the approval of her conservator (her dad). That's why he needs to be removed first.

Britney is already signing documents that would allow Rosengart to represent her. Next steps are for him to agree and the court approve it.

Do we find out if she is breaking free from the conservatorship or is it just another hearing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom