Brookside

It was my favourite show in 1995. The body under the patio episodes defined my interest in anything crime and murder related on television.

I also enjoyed the fact they had a Jackie and a Jacqui on the same show.

The sensationalism, constant explosions and headline grabbing issue-led stories obviously killed it off but for a long time it was pretty unmissable.

I love the theme tune. Dramatic and wistful.

Think I've found my new avatar...

hqdefault.jpg

I had stopped watching it at the time but did they turn Sinbad into a paedophile? I remember some unfavourable headlines and I think it led to the actor leaving.

There was also the rape/consent storyline which was dragged out for an entire year.

I had stopped watching it by around 2001 so I am obviously misremembering things. I just googled and it appears the lesbian character was in love with Jackie and pursued her, making it appear sheā€™d slept with her.

Omg and the (hot) incestuous siblings!
Thatā€™s when my parents got a bit ā€œermā€ about me watching it.

That family did lead to the story with Lisa Faulknerā€™s psycho dad chasing them all to a cottage and being pushed off a cliff. I think the incest siblingsā€™ dad was having it off with Faulknerā€™s solicitor mum.

I'm in a total spiral now of googling old storylines.

My God Susannah Farnham went through it! :D Accidentally kills her own kids, gets blown up while having sex above a nightclub and finally gets shoved down the stairs by her ex-husband.

I seem to recall Susannah getting a classic soap opera 'inexplicably piss off multiple people in quick succession' storyline to frantically set up some suspects for the stair-pushing whodunnit :D

I actually never watched Brookside properly. I live in the far south east, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it, in the sense my parents never watched it (but watched all 3 main UK soaps, the Aussie ones, and Casualty etc - there just wasn't the room for even more) so it never caught on with me. I assume the south east was probably the "least watched" area in terms of Brookside.

At one point I was well into Family Affairs, and I think Brookside had been cancelled by then.

I also enjoyed the fact they had a Jackie and a Jacqui on the same show.

OMG This :D I loved that too.

What a show this was from mid-90s for a few years.

I have little to add as you've all mentioned the good bits. Apart from that psycho teacher (Jenny?) that stalked Mick. That was fun too.

Susannah's car accident was one of the most harrowing moments. The way they killed one of the kids one episode and you thought maybe one of them would survive... then next episode: 'sorry luv, the other one has popped it too'. That was DARK.

I think Jackie Corkhill was my favourite too. I did watch some of the real classic Brookside too at the time as I think it was repeated on UK Gold or something with Sue Johnston and Ricky Tomlinson etc. It was amazing how little happened in the early days. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom