Brookside

Family Affairs really was APPALLING.

I loved it.

There was a period though, around 2003-05 (so basically the end) where it actually became incredible soap for a while and had some really strong casting and unique storylines. I mean Kate O'Mara turning up as her out of Heartbeat's mum :disco:

Okay really off to bed now

I actually never watched Brookside properly. I live in the far south east, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it, in the sense my parents never watched it (but watched all 3 main UK soaps, the Aussie ones, and Casualty etc - there just wasn't the room for even more) so it never caught on with me. I assume the south east was probably the "least watched" area in terms of Brookside.

At one point I was well into Family Affairs, and I think Brookside had been cancelled by then.
Same. We all got into it for a few weeks for the body under the patio storyline but then never watched it fully. I always remember going to college and a guy in my sixth form Media class who kind of looked like a gangster rapper so people were intimidated by him but was a bit of a softie at heart, and when you got him talking he was just a massive Brookside obsessive who wouldn't shut up about it :D

I got hooked from the patio. It really was the first proper sensational soap storyline.

Now they're two a penny.

Welcome to the forum @Inner Smile

When I was a kid, a couple of girls I was friends with used to play out storylines from Brookside with me in the play area. I'm not sure they were PLAYGROUND SAFE.

I once played the Beth death scene in jail in the playground :D

Last edited:
Who is SDF? Inner Smile?

I loved Brookside. Bev was one of my favourites .... especially with her singing.

In other news, I loved Brookside in the mid-90s. I think it's the reason I have always loved Scousers more than any other Northerners.

It's Molicious.

tenor.gif

There’s no way it’s win the game :D

I remember the very camp and OTT gay hairdresser in this, who then turned out to be just as camp and OTT in real-life. The real shock was that he was (and still is) married to Linda Lusardi!

I remember the very camp and OTT gay hairdresser in this, who then turned out to be just as camp and OTT in real-life. The real shock was that he was (and still is) married to Linda Lusardi!
Wasn't he a boyfriend of Our Linds? She really had a life on the Close as a gun toting lesbian. Remember when they stuffed Little Kylie's teddy full of Heroin and Our Linds got arrested in Bangkok?

A moment of silence for hun queen Claire Sweeney.

Peter his name was, it was always so confusing to see him hook up with women when he was the most flamboyant character in any soap at the time. I think he started seeing the incest sister actually which led to the brother punching him in jealousy.

Remember the parade explosion? Ron Dixon with his dodgy oven. That was actually a brilliant soap disaster and really showed the others how it’s done, but the impact was diluted by them going on to have at least two more huge explosions within the next four years, including a helicopter falling out of the sky on to the petrol station.

The parade was later used in Hollyoaks as the front of the student union, it may still be used now but I haven’t watched Hollyoaks for about 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom