Brookside

I forgot about SAD SACK Katie.

I'd forgotten Jackie Dixon was shagging Max.

Did Max and Jacqui get together on the back of her agreeing to be a surrogate for him and Susannah?

I also loved Bev. Her son was Mike Dixon’s rather than Ron’s right? Her and Ron featured in a Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott video last year!

I had a VHS BROOKIE SPECIAL featuring GANGSTA LINDSEY CORKHILL.

I feel like there a special guest appearance. I do remember who.

I can’t even remember who it was but I have such a distinct memory of a blonde woman living in the house that was always destined for the yuppies (see also the Farnhams) who had got some lovely brass fixtures installed (because they were yuppies) but it had dodgy wiring. She went for a bath and had a wet hand which upon switching said light caused her to INSTANTLY DIE.

Did I imagine this? It terrified me for years in the same way that quicksand and flying a kite near an electrical pylon did.

The disasters were great, but they'd drag serious storylines out for years with little pay off. I think they wanted to be realistic, but that ship had long sailed.

I can’t even remember who it was but I have such a distinct memory of a blonde woman living in the house that was always destined for the yuppies (see also the Farnhams) who had got some lovely brass fixtures installed (because they were yuppies) but it had dodgy wiring. She went for a bath and had a wet hand which upon switching said light caused her to INSTANTLY DIE.

Did I imagine this? It terrified me for years in the same way that quicksand and flying a kite near an electrical pylon did.

I remember an episode of London’s Burning where a sweat shop went UP IN FLAMES because a sewing machine was pressing on an electrical wire and now I’m still really cautious about that.

Yeah, that shit me up as a kid. I think her name was Laura? I’m sure she was something to do with the Farnhams. I remember that she electrocuted herself, slid downstairs and blocked the front door so that she couldn’t be rescued.

This thread is making me want to watch some classic soap disasters. I used to love the Dog in the Pond blowing up on Hollyoaks; I was fascinated by how a. Everyone didn’t immediately die when it literally detonated and b. People started to die once it was established they’d all survived the initial explosion and you could see them running to the many available escape routes.

This thread is making me want to watch some classic soap disasters. I used to love the Dog in the Pond blowing up on Hollyoaks; I was fascinated by how a. Everyone didn’t immediately die when it literally detonated and b. People started to die once it was established they’d all survived the initial explosion and you could see them running to the many available escape routes.

This was when I started watching Hollyoaks and I'm sure the pub exploded AGAIN at least once in the few years I watched for.

Any soap disaster is a surefire sign of other storylines having dried up and/or needing a ratings grab for an anniversary.

If you've been on the air exactly twenty years, DON'T GO TO THE PUB TONIGHT.

It was a shame to see it die a slow death over its final year, being shunted from its prime time slot to a weekend only omnibus... even though I didn’t watch it then.

The last year wasn't actually terrible. After they killed off Jennifer Ellison and blew up the petrol station, they dialled it all back a notch. The last few months they tried to go a bit more "drama series", with each weekly episode spotlighting one specific plot or character. (So clearly they blazed the trail for Lost).

There were obviously issues and hasty rewrites behind the scenes though. I found it really odd how poor old Bernie Nolan was replaced before she'd even left; she was "out shopping" for all of the seige week whilst her husband's ex turned up and took all of the airtime, was casually killed offscreen ("oh yeah she was under the helicopter"), and within a week her widower had shacked up with the ex again.

Reactions: VoR
Wasn't there a bizarre episode towards the end where the entire street came together to LYNCH a local drug dealer? :D

YES

The very final episode no less. Google suggests they named the drug dealer after the exec who cancelled the show.

They had shots of oblivious ridiculous Bev watching Corrie or summat with a swinging body silhouetted in the window. Amazing.

Yes, Phil Redmond returned for the final few months of the show and did a storyline where a drug dealer called Jack Michaelson moved in and caused all sorts of bother (the C4 chief executive at the time was called Michael Jackson, very subtle :eyes:). The men of the close all teamed up to lynch him, and the close was bought by developers so everyone moved out. Jimmy Corkhill gave a long rant about the state of the world and particularly how terrible reality TV was (Big Brother was a massive success for C4 at this point :eyes:), then went to live with Lindsey who had married Barry Grant and lived in a mansion somewhere. THE END.
EIgy0k4WoAIioew.jpg

I remember the last few weeks being quite EERIE as most of the residents moved out - it's so rare for a soap to actually get an "ending", I like that they did something so definitive.

Reactions: VoR
I'm still shook that Anna 'like I just got home' Friel made an appearance in the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony.

I'm still agog that she felt she needed a good lip job let alone the bad one she got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom