Bros (Gay RomCom)

Vote

• Total voters

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
Yes another one (starring the gay comedians who weren’t in Fire Island). This one has Billy Eichner and Symone among others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone in it is LGBTQ+ right? Even the str8s

The couch gag is great

This is on 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and has loads of big names tweeting about it encouraging people to see it etc.

Butttttt looks like it’s going to make under $10m on opening weekend 🥴

Last edited:
They should've put Harry Styles in it I guess.

To be honest, I like Billy Eichner in very small doses, but the idea of 2 hours of him fills me with dread.

and the whole 'gay gym queen' stereotype it's perpetuating is... old. The gay conversation has moved on from the '90s and early '00s.

Do you guys remember straight people? Yeah, they had a good run.

I like that line from Coach Bieste but aside from that, the trailer is a bit underwhelming.

I'll still see it though, Billy Eichner is one of my people I fancy despite my better judgement.

Reactions: GNL
You had me at “starring the gay comedians that weren’t in fire island” (really can’t stick Booster)

This is on 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and has loads of big names tweeting about it encouraging people to see it etc.

Butttttt looks like it’s going to make under $10m on opening weekend 🥴

This only took $500k on Saturday, so it's looking more like a $5m weekend.

EEK

I don’t understand why they called it ‘Bros’ - what gay uses the word ‘Bro’ in their vernacular? Or is that the point?

I still want to see it, the critical and audience response has been very good.

I’m also looking forward to reading some takes as to why it failed commercially.

Maybe it was just poorly marketed? I'm open to the possibility that it's a good movie, but the trailer really was not very appealing at all.

Reactions: GNL
I think this quote from Forbes is very accurate to be honest.

Alas, the trailers and much of the media coverage emphasized its importance, groundbreaking existence, and social value over whether the film is funny.

It also looks quite dated? 'Groundbreaking' wide release aside, haven't we moved past the era when generic white gym gays in love (with the PoCs and non-conventionally attractive characters relegated to comedy side-roles) was a compelling narrative?

Again, haven't seen it, but that's really what the trailer made it look like.

$22m for a comedy movie?
Steroids are expensive.

I think Netflix has killed the comedy cinema experience for the mainstream public under 40, generally speaking. Why pay a lot of money to watch something that looks like an episode of something you can watch at home for free? Just go to the cinema for the BIG FILMS.

Obviously I disagree VIOLENTLY with what I just wrote, but I think a lot of people hold that view.

Reactions: dUb
It's true even when Harry Styles tried to make that point during the iconic DWD interview ("my favourite thing about this movie is it feels.. like a movie") it fell on deaf ears :(

Last edited:
Reactions: dUb
I agree with much of what's been said - nothing about this really screams "pay $15 to see this at the cinema", it doesn't have anyone famous in it, the marketing hasn't really sold it, and there aren't really THAT many gays in the grand scheme of things (and many of us will fall into the trap of just waiting til it's on streaming)

And the outright homophobes aside, I think a lot of straights who are fine with gays will just see something that's about gays and starring gays and think (whether consciously or not) "that's not relevant to me".

Anyway, looking forward to going when it arrives here. And I love that he's (sort of) brought back BILLY ON THE STREET to flog it -

Soz Bros, we already have the BEAR CITY trilogy (feat. Hocus Pocus 2 breakout star Kathy Najimy).

5bf4d954302f5aa94d45ef114b3a5af618a26e7a632d7ad318d420082ac82cb7._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

I'm going to be honest and say that homophobic straight people don't really go to RomComs so I think the issue lies elsewhere.

If they wanted to get the punters in they should have cast a GROUNDBREAKING nearly all gay cast and Timmy Chalamet.

Last edited:
I love how one gay film flops and it’s proof nobody wants them yet you know we’ll get another Morbius and Fanterftic Beasts movie in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom