ButterTart's 100 Greatest Melodifestivalen Songs - 2002 to 2024

So what the actual FUCK has won? There are some BIG songs yet to appear in the rate - have I gone with one of them or have I just gone 'lol rockin the ride was quite good let's go with that'?

I stand with you. I mean, it wouldn’t be in my top 50, but I get it.

The post chorus has the makings of a really great separate song of its own

Hela landet spinn
När kingen glider in
Diggi ding ding ding
Här glider kingen in

I stand with you. I mean, it wouldn’t be in my top 50, but I get it.

The post chorus has the makings of a really great separate song of its own

Hela landet spinn
När kingen glider in
Diggi ding ding ding
Här glider kingen in
This is what I mean - there are so many different elements to it :disco:

WINNER! Charlotte Perrelli – The Girl (2012)

Heat 4 – 5th place. Sweden belongs in jail.

THEN:

“Schlager is dead ”
@VoR 25/02/2012

“She knew. At least she had some dignity about it.”
@D5K 25/02/2012

“all that build up and dreams and expectations
i feel like killing myself”

@Suomi 25/02/2012

“STOP SAYING THINGS! We are tearing ourselves apart!”
@Kratz 25/02/2012

“I'm so sorry for your loss gays ”
@Star 25/02/2012

“I'm so upset. That reduces my interest in the final to Loreen and VoR.”
@Alla 25/02/2012

“I'm calling it. This is the worst Melodifestivalen ever.”
@VoR 25/02/2012

NOW:

“TALK ABOUT A SONG to KICK THE PREGNANT DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS TO”
@Penelope 05/04/2024

“Seeing this performed live last year remains the highlight of my life.”
@ZenGiraffe 05/04/2024

“it might be my favourite entry EVER of hers now. It's ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS.”
@Sheena 05/04/2024

“Like being ran over by a disco train, still being alive and ready to have your body parts be found to do it all again over and over.”
@straightorbroken 05/04/2024

“If a better pop song exists, I haven't heard it”
@dUb 05/04/2024

Even for ME, this was a surprise.

I knew I loved this song and I knew it would do big business in this rate, but as I was compiling it I realised there was NOTHING - not even God-king Sean Banan – that I could justify putting above it. So here we are: Charlotte Perrelli’s ‘The Girl’ is my favourite Melodifestivalen song of all time.

It’s easy to see how I came to this decision; ‘The Girl’ is THE perfect Mello song:

• Performed by a gay-interest middle aged woman
  • Blatant ABBA references
  • A key change that could skin a rhino at fifty paces
  • Strutting
  • Sweden being cunts and paying it absolute dust
  • @VoR investing his current and future mental stability in its success
It’s also about as good a pop song as you’ll ever have the fortune to hear. The verses are engaging and memorable for everyone except their singer, and the chorus is otherworldly brilliance – this is a song that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be sung at socially acceptable volumes. I have no qualm with singing ‘I was the gi-i-irl’ out loud, as @COB can attest to (His slightly concerned ‘Oh, you’re doing the key change?’ as I was idly singing this in a Glasgow street is an abiding memory I have of this song). I’ve called almost everything on this list a stomper up to now, but this is a fucking STOMPER, a pop juggernaut, a song which reaches a crescendo seconds in and somehow just gets bigger from there.

We also need to talk about that key change. Holy shit, it should be taught in schools. If Dignitas played it in their waiting room, they’d go bankrupt within a week. 2:26 in the video above IS Melodifestivalen; it’s why we love this dreadful contest and make our pilgrimages to that ungrateful little country. This is pop being done exceptionally well – a singer who knows her audience with a song that fully earns such a MOMENT of a key change. You know I love my songs big and daft and I can’t express how SATISFYING every second of ‘The Girl’ is – it’s so cohesive, it’s so spectacular, it’s so very, very destined to go unappreciated by the Swedes.

The Girl is the most expensive musical performance ever staged, costing approximately £3.4 billion, most of which was spent on a projector and some dancers dressed like off-duty pink Power Rangers. Charlotte is Charlotte, and Charlotte is incredible at selling a song like it’s the most important thing she’s ever done. She brings such an eagerness and joy to any performance (Mitt Liv a possible exception). It would be remiss of me to not mention the colossal fuck up in the second verse; I LOVED reading back through the thread as everyone frantically tried to pretend it wasn’t noticeable. It was, let’s be honest. She literally stops singing and then just mumbles indistinctly until she’s back on familiar ground and can bellow ‘THAT’S CHANGIIIING’. Still, Charlotte botching a verse still manages to put on a better show than pretty much anyone else, so needless to say she goes on to bring this bitch home, kicking absolute fuck out of the final chorus to give us a moment for the ages. Jesus, this goes MASSIVE.

So there we have it. I don’t think it could have been anyone else walking away with the crown, in fairness. A Melodifestivalen classic is about more than just the song – it’s about the singer, the performance, the mark it left on the contest and how long @VoR was in hospice care following its failure. Charlotte delivers on every front… not just delivers, EXCELS. She’s truly in a league of her own in the contest, a showstopper regardless of what she sends or how well she does on the night. This is the perfect marriage of singer and song which, quite rightly, is now regarded as an all-time Mello classic. God bless you, Charles, and all the millionaires who sail in you.

Feel the power of dancing :disco:

Despicable. The Girl is nothing but a concoction of stilettos and cliché's stitched together. With no sense and no context, the entire creation is constantly ripping apart at its seams.

Despicable. The Girl is nothing but a concoction of stilettos and cliché's stitched together. With no sense and no context, the entire creation is constantly ripping apart at its seams.
FUCK YOU

Motion to BANISH HAK PERMANENTLY from the Melodifestivalen forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom