By Request: Suedehead's Authoritative Tori Amos Top 50

I would love you forever if I could get 'Butterfly' as an mp3. Through sheer laziness I've simply been replaying the live youtube version ad infinitum.
OK, but be patient! It may appear later on the list. You can have it then. :hitler:

Also, I have the studio version of Cooling, the downloaded b side. Is it worth getting live (well any moreso than other Tori tracks)?

Oh I don't have cooling in any form!

May I?

I'm such a crap fan. Beyond the album tracks I'm clueless.

GAH! "Cooling" would be top 10 for me :( I know she overplayed it though.. Especially the live version has been a tear-jerker for me.

And I'm not so fond of "Sweet The Sting" either.. Oh and I think "Love Song" is one of her best covers! Looking forward to see which other ADP songs will enter :disco:

Oh this thread reminds me. I was in this AMAZING little record store in Italy that had absolutely EVERYTHING. I found loads of obscure flop albums that normally go for a fortune. They had a display case out for 'Y Kant Tori Read' which i snapped up and practically pole vaulted to the counter in my excitement, only for them to tell me it wasn't available.

THEN WHY WAS THERE A DISPLAY CASE YOU CUNTS? :evil:

47. Father's Son
(Album track from American Doll Posse - 2007)

After seeing it performed live and listening more to the album, this is now my second favorite of the album, only second to 'Bouncing..'. I wish she done more songs in the same manner, at least in terms of production - in which her vocals are the main vehicle to carry the song.

As for the other entries in the countdown so far - being somewhat of an old school type of fan, I have little to say about them, apart from being glad that they occupy the lower places within the top 50.

46. Cooling
(B-Side to "Spark" - 1998; also available on A Piano; live version on To Venus and Back - 1999)

This will probably be the first major upset for the hardcore fans

FAR TOO LOW. :o

This would normally be in my top 10, I can't imagine ever ranking it outside the top 20 even on an off day.

And we will stay in the Choirgirl era for a moment or two -

45. Black-Dove (January)
(Album track from from the choirgirl hotel)

In that tiny, kinda scary house
By the woods, by the woods, by the woods...

rearview2.jpg

It has now been nearly ten years since From the Choirgirl Hotel, and as we drift further away from the 4th record in what many consider to be her 'mighty 4', it is easy to forget just what a stroke of genius that album was in every shape and form. A tight, unifying theme that ran throughout (her miscarriages), big-budget production bursting with strings, full band arrangements and just hints of electronica and, for the first time ever, she toured with a proper band. It really was the best time to be a Tori Amos fan. "Black-Dove," then. It is difficult to ascertain what exactly it is about (no surprise there) but who cares when it effectively was her first 'rock-out' song since Y Kant Tori Read (minus the embarrassing hair). It alternates from the intense intonation of the verses to the rousing, thunderous refrain of "But I have to get to Texas" which literally knocks your socks off while showing off her instrumental prowess. Super-cool stuff.

Last edited:
I must say, I've recently lost a friend to cancer, and Pele and Choirgirl have been a lovely crutch. God bless Tori!

I must say, I've recently lost a friend to cancer, and Pele and Choirgirl have been a lovely crutch. God bless Tori!

Sorry to hear about that, Paddy. But yes, Tori is always good in those times. When I say Little Earthquakes saved my life, I'm not exaggerating. But let's not get into that now..

"Cooling" touches a nerve with me, but I love it! Haven't listened to it (intentionally) for a year now but I might dig it out tonight.

BTW: VoR.. do you want YKTR mp3's? I could send you them (a dear friend & fellow Tori loon sent them to me). Or do you want an actual CD... in which case, ignore me. :)

No, never great to dwell. Simply put she can convey anger and tenderness so beautifully.

And we will stay in the Choirgirl era for a moment or two -

45. Black-Dove (January)
(Album track from from the choirgirl hotel)

In that tiny, kinda scary house
By the woods, by the woods, by the woods...

rearview2.jpg

It has now been nearly ten years since From the Choirgirl Hotel, and as we drift further away from the 4th record in what many consider to be her 'mighty 4', it is easy to forget just what a stroke of genius that album was in every shape and form. A tight, unifying theme that ran throughout (her miscarriages), big-budget production bursting with strings, full band arrangements and just hints of electronica and, for the first time ever, she toured with a proper band. It really was the best time to be a Tori Amos fan. "Black-Dove," then. It is difficult to ascertain what exactly it is about (no surprise there) but who cares when it effectively was her first 'rock-out' song since Y Kant Tori Read (minus the embarrassing hair). It alternates from the intense intonation of the verses to the rousing, thunderous refrain of "But I have to get to Texas" which literally knocks your socks off while showing off her instrumental prowess. Super-cool stuff.

The first in your list so far that I LOVE

"Cooling" touches a nerve with me, but I love it! Haven't listened to it (intentionally) for a year now but I might dig it out tonight.

BTW: VoR.. do you want YKTR mp3's? I could send you them (a dear friend & fellow Tori loon sent them to me). Or do you want an actual CD... in which case, ignore me. :)

MP3s would be LOVELY. I know nothing of that era, not even Cool On Your Island.

44. Not David Bowie
(From A Piano boxset - 2006)

Some friends change just like the seaons

sw-29-th.jpg

This one may raise a few eyebrows, but ever since I first heard it on the Piano box-set it was my immediate favourite from the unreleased songs and has become one of my most played Tori songs recently. I still refuse to believe this was from The Beekeeper sessions, mainly because it is rhythmically so similar to "Tombigbee" (a Scarlet outtake). Lyrically it seems to deal with betrayal, whether between friends or lovers is unknown but she somehow intentionally blurs the line. But what's more fun is the marching rhythm and the crunchy hammonds; one in which her longterm drummer Matt Chamberlain also excels. It's an odd little curiosity and the title makes it more so, but certainly worth a listen even for the casual fan.

Last edited:
I also refuse to believe it's from the Beekeeper sessions simply because it's impossible to think that it didn't make the cut when you look at what DID.

Good choice, my favourite of the new Piano tracks also.

43. Glory of the '80s
(UK single from To Venus and Back - 1999)

I'll clone myself like that blonde chick
That sings "Bette Davis Eyes"

glory2b.jpg

The story goes thus: Tori went into the studio after her 1998 Plugged Tour to put together a double album comprised of a live disc from the tour and a B-sides collection. Whilst in the studio she experienced a creative surge, thus scrapping the B-sides LP and putting together a disc of all new material. Venus is seen by many as Tori and her band 'jamming' - experimenting together and just being a solid unit rather than Tori 'and her band'. "Glory of the '80s" was the first UK single - it missed the top 40 and has since been maligned by many, partly due to the bizarre goth video as well. Nevertheless, it is a, er, glorious sparkly glam-pop song that namechecks Raquel Welsh and sounds like Ray of Light era Madonna clashing with Black Cherry era Goldfrapp - on acid.

my least fave album I think, and I never got the glory loving.... its fine but no more than that :(

Really? :o

'Venus...' is my favourite Tori album. There are individual tracks I like more on most of the other albums but I just find 'Venus' to be a really cohesive listen. 'Lust' in particular is one of my favourite Tori album tracks.

Ive never been able to get in to it at ALL, actually though there are lesser albums thinking about it I suppose

I must say American Doll Posse has been a tremendous struggle for me. Even now I only appreciate 5 or so tracks.

Same here. Venus is probably is my least listened too album. I need to pay it more attention. I usually listen to 4 songs (Bliss, Concertina, Glory and 1000 Oceans) and leave the rest.

42. Time
(Album track from Strange Little Girls - 2001)

So close your eyes son
This won't hurt a bit

time.jpg

The standout moment from Strange Little Girls came in the form of a 'Torified' version of Tom Waits' "Time" - i.e. Tori and her Bosendorfer. Forget the nonsense about the "character" that sings it, though. The song took a whole different meaning post-9/11 while she was on the Strange Little Tour. Her performance of the track on 18th September, 2001 on the David Letterman Show reflected the mood of the American people in that time and added another dimension to the poignancy of the song. I'm not going to say if I prefer her version to Tom Waits' because it's just not fair..

David Letterman Performance, Sept 18, 2001
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOPWIJ-D0Mo

Last edited:
I must say American Doll Posse has been a tremendous struggle for me. Even now I only appreciate 5 or so tracks.
Same here. My initial 'love' for it fizzled out quickly as it did with Medulla.

Never had a problem with Venus though - very good album..

41. Hotel
(Album track from from the choirgirl hotel - 1998)

You were wild -
Where are you now?

B0000062S6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

As said earlier, from the choirgirl hotel represented Tori going full circle from failed rock band to girl-with-piano and back to the organic structure of a 4-piece band. The (almost) title-track perfectly exemplifies that, starting off with an electronic trip-hoppish vibe in which she tells a cryptic tale of a previous enounter with someone in a hotel (perhaps an ode to a previous lover on the eve of her marriage?). The song wastes no time in building up into an electronic frenzy for the first chorus that carries her Kate Bush-esque wails of "give me more", only to crash down later and build back up again and again till the finale of Tori and her piano, asking over and over "Where are you now?" Make sure you listen to this on headphones and you'll get it.

Same here. Venus is probably is my least listened too album. I need to pay it more attention. I usually listen to 4 songs (Bliss, Concertina, Glory and 1000 Oceans) and leave the rest.

Aside from the ones you mention, Juarez, Lust, Suede and Spring Haze are all essential for me.

40. Bouncing off Clouds
(From the album American Doll Posse - 2007)

Make this easy
It's not as heavy as it seems

adp_gallery_c_011th.jpg

For this year's American Doll Posse album, Tori revisited the multiple personality disorder frenzy of Strange Little Girls by assigning sets of songs within the album to specific characters that got their own looks, blogs and personae. This made for some very exciting wigs and stage costumes (who will open this time? Which of the girls will be doing "Crucify" for the 3992829th time? etc.) but I couldn't, once again, help but think that has passed her zenith and that these embelishments are unnecessary distarctions from the fact that the songs are just not that good. "Bouncing off Clouds", promoted in the UK while the US got the more Yank-friendly "Big Wheel," remains immune from criticism simply because it is a straightforward song about relationship struggles/lost love delivered with no gimmicks but a nice, driving piano motif and urgent drums.

Last edited:
Good read, Suedey.

I don't know any of these songs, but i'm hoping that will change as we nearer the top...

I've grown to love 'Bouncing Off Clouds', it should have been given a proper release in the UK. I'm convinced her lack of singles here has played a very strong part in her continued slump. I mean, there's been nothing since 'A Sorta Fairytale' and it was years back still for the predeceding one.

39. Merman
(From No Boundaries: A Benefit for the Kosovar Refugees - 1999; also avaiable on A Piano boxset)

Who could ever say you're not simply wonderful?
Who could ever harm you?

cgh-201-thumb.jpg

In late 1998, Matthew Shepard, an 18-year-old university student in Wyoming, was attacked and murdered in what has now become one of the most harrowing and well known hate crimes of recent times. It was this incident that inspired "Merman," surfacing for the first time on a compilation album for Kosovar refugees. Whilst the song's theme certainly fits many a tragedy, it is indeed the Shepard murder that seems to have struck a personal chord with Tori, as she has referenced it live before performing this song on several occasions. "Merman" is a clasic Tori-with-piano ballad with its repeated refrain of "Go to bed", coming across like a lullaby/requiem and a farewell to a lost loved one. Beautiful.

38. Virginia
(Album track from Scarlet's Walk - 2002)

Hundreds of years go by
She's a girl out working her trade
And she loses a little each day
To ghetto pimps and presidents
Who try and arouse her torquoise serpents
She can't recall what they represent
And when you ask, she won't know

sw-322.jpg

In the past 5 years I have found myself appreciating Scarlet's Walk more as each year passes by. I am not sure whether it is because the progressive weakness of her subsequent, but I think it is more to do with the fact that it's a great album. Tori (this time casting herself as Scarlet, the titular heroine) chronicles her travels through America and thus each of the 19 songs represented a stop on her journey (thus Scarlet's Walk). "Virginia" sees her revisiting Native American history (Tori has Native American roots), giving an incisive, yet objective account of the atrocities committed against the natives of a land that now prides itself to be the blueprint for all "democracies". The best bit has to be the crescendo finale with all the different vocal lines interspersing with one another and then ending it all with "You can't remember." Chilling.

Last edited:
37. Juarez
(Album track from To Venus and Back - 1999)

No angel came

1999-10-26_suede13.jpg

Juarez is a town in Mexico in which a number of mysterious rapes had occured and no men had been taken in suspicion. Obviously a subject quite close to Tori, she delivers this song from the perspective of the vast desert, itself perhaps an implicit bystander in these crimes. Her delivery, distant and ice-cold, is perfectly accompanied by chilly keyboard lines and disorted guitars in the distance as she repeatedly whisper-sings "no angel came". Whilst it is no "Me and a Gun" because she successfully manages to distance herself as much as possible and cast herself as a narrator rather than a person within the story, it nevertheless remains one of her most unsettling recordings.

36. Bells for Her
(Album track from Under the Pink - 1994; live version available on To Venus and Back - 1999; also on A Piano box-set)

Brothers and lovers she and I were
Now she seems to be sand under his shoes
There's nothing I can do

honey2.jpg

And so the first song from her 1994 brief foray into the big time Under the Pink (her first and only UK #1 album) makes an entrance. This is one of many songs inspired by close friend Nancy Shanks (aka 'Beene', 'Beenie'). You'd have to wonder just how much of it is Tori's songwriter imagination, as the song is predominated by a Sapphic vibe ("blanket friends"; "brothers and lovers she and I were" etc.). She has revealed that it is about her watching a friend in an abusive relationship; however, in my opinion the dramatic value of envisioning Tori as the tearful bridesmaid walking her lesbian lover to wed to a man is far too juicy not to entertain. This notion is refinorced by the upright piano that co-producer (and then lover) Eric Rosse and herself had 'prepared' prior to recording, creating a jarring bell effect that makes it sound like the saddest wedding song you've ever heard..

Last edited:
You know, I've never really been THAT into Tori, barring a selection of songs I always love .. but this is a fascinating read. She's such a fascinating character (and I'm only appreciating tonight how pretty she can look).

It's stupid but I almost feel like I shouldn't try to get into her again because I know I wouldn't be able to find all this meaning from the songs. She's a difficult artist on the whole to just take the songs at face value.

Suedehead is "Happy Workers" included? And NO i'm not having a laugh :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom