Can someone please explain DISCORD

dUb

AH AH AH
Pronouns
He/Him
I've seen quite a lot about Discord servers recently, mainly on Reddit. I have had a look and I can't quite see the appeal or what makes it different or even better than the likes of Reddit. Can someone sum up what it is and why I might want to get involved in any of it please cheers :beer:

It's basically like chatrooms - you make or join a server which can have multiple rooms for text chat, and also voice rooms for voice chatting. It's not something I use very often, but a while ago some friends and I were watching a film at the same time as each other so it was useful to all go into a Discord voice room to talk while we watched.

Reactions: dUb
It is more like a chat room, so is good for things you need immediate responses to.

Last time I used Discord was to visit people's islands on animal crossing, and I've used it to sort Pokémon trades. It's also used to share leaks a lot since they don't get taken down as quickly/ever.

It was originally made for guilds on MMOs like world of Warcraft to communicate outside the game. I'm still part of my FFXIV guild even though I haven't played it for a year.

Reactions: dUb
How good it is will depend on what the focus of each particular server is (and the people who talk in it), I suppose - we have one for my gaymers group which lots of people joined but nobody actually chats in, so it's a bit dead :(

I didn't really get discord until I started playing Minecraft servers. Good for a cute custom chatroom thing but the voice chat bit is awkward af

I use discord for a local pokemon group. It's a great way to meet local players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom