Catherine - Hot Saki & Bedtime Stories (1996)

straightorbroken

rebel heart
220px-Hot-Saki-and-Bedtime-Stories.jpg

No, Hot Saki and Bedtime Stories is not another Japanese Madonna ad you can find on YouTube (sadly), but is the name of just one of the albums released by Catherine who was not one woman but several men who liked to dress up as them from time to time.

The most obvious starting off point is that Four Leaf Clover is one of the most recent winners of the A Song for Moopy contests, features a breathlessly cool verse from then Smashing Pumpkins bassist D'arcy Wretzky who went against type to offer the sarcastic bitch mode put down "I gotta tell you that you're just a has-been" before dozing off midway through the track after swallowing a handful of pills, and had its boozy house party vibe (like a dream sequence from Daria) music video directed by that arty woman who did Marilyn Manson's Beautiful People and Christina Aguilera's Fighter. It's one of those perfect fuzzy 90s alternative pop near misses and I gotta tell you that these has-been or never-wases hit the jackpot if not the charts.

Although signed to TVT (Nine Inch Nails, The KLF and La Trec), there was some involvement with D'arcy and her ex/fellow Pumpkin James Iha's label, plus with her bumpkin (sorry!) Kerry Brown (her then husband) involved with the mixing and the drumming. This all probably went down well with Billy Corgan who had produced for Catherine before and famously enjoyed other people having the limelight despite downplaying and publically deriding his band mate's musical abilities.

Anyway, I'll just leave the album's playlist here. It's Gonna Get Worse is my jam - if D'arcy had breathed on it I would have entered this instead as, seriously, this is hazy Summer ennui par excellence. Cotton Candy High barges into the Lemonheads dressing room and demands a jam. Whisper is a jam from Scream the movie. The slow jams like Milkshake and Angels take a sip from the Corgan cup. Don't Touch Me There finds more of where Clover came from, but just when you think there's no jam left - it slams.

Think Placebo, think Babylon Zoo, but just don't think about google image searching recent D'arcy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom