Christchurch Mosques Shooting

KindaCool

Footsteps are following me
Even in little old New Zealand :(

Mass shootings in TWO Mosques

Up to 27 death reported so far.

The city has been placed in lockdown, with schools and public buildings closed. Nearby climate change protests were evacuated and council staff have been looking after children separated from their relatives in the chaos.

Jacinda's comment

Clearly, what has happened here is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.

Many of those who will have been directly affected by this shooting may be migrants to New Zealand, they may even be refugees here. They have chosen to make New Zealand their home, and it is their home.

They are us. The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not. They have no place in New Zealand. There is no place in New Zealand for such acts of extreme and unprecedented violence, which it is clear this act was.

For now, my thoughts, and I’m sure the thoughts of all New Zealanders, are with those who have been affected, and also with their families.

My thoughts also to those in Christchurch, who are still dealing with an unfolding situation. The advice from police continues to be that people remain indoors. I acknowledge that that may mean that some families are separated, but please continue to listen out for information as it comes to light that’s been directly provided by the New Zealand Police with further information.

But as I say, please remain in lockdown. We are potentially still dealing with an evolving situation. And again, as I say, across multiple sites. Please be assured, though, the police are actively managing the situation. Christchurch Hospital is dedicated to treating those who are arriving at the hospital as we speak as well.

As soon as I leave here, I will be returning directly on a flight to Wellington. Agencies are already convening in Wellington. I will be looking to meet with them as soon as I land. It’s my expectation that once I arrive and have been briefed, I intend to speak again publicly after that point. I’m happy to take questions.”

during prayer so that number is likely to rise :(

fucker filmed it too. absolutely harrowing

So awful. I don't really expect things like that in NZ. It's such a beautiful and friendly country.

Don't see many people talking about this on Facebook. Fuck the hypocrisy.

I think the UK is just waking up to it - remember the time difference.

I have Australian friends who are tweeting plenty about it.

Horrible, utterly fucking horrible. Humanity is disgusting.

:( Eugh feels so strange to see this at home.

Obviously this kind of shit can - and does - happen anywhere. But it's always seemed like we were somewhat exempt from it being so far away from, well, everywhere else in the world in our own little corner. To see it in the South Island, in a city I used to live, feels so surreal.

My line manager at work is from NZ. She was in tears when I got to work. I gave her a big hug and her boss sent her home to recover.

Really terrible. Scary and depressing to think of the spread of this kind of fucked up hate. Lots of discussion about some of the mainstream media actually carrying the footage too.

Just reading about him now, what a dreadful piece of work.

It appears people are encouraging those generic thugs to give him air. All for an egging. Rational.

I know it's in rather poor taste to mention it but Jacinda hasn't been blessed with looks has she? I know our Terry looks like a child's drawing of a scarecrow, but Jacinda is all teeth and sadness. She's quite rocking the headscarf however.

10908598-16x9-xlarge.jpg

She looks better with the headscarf because it hides her strange ears. Nonetheless I think she has responded extraordinarily well in the last 36 hours. I've been super impressed by her composure and the clarity of her message.

This one has hit me really hard and I can't even explain why. I teach predominantly Muslim kids so it might have something to do with that. When Grenfell happened and we lost the kids in the fire, my uncle said the most extraordinary thing about the people in that tower and the 'Arabs' that live around there. It made me realise just how much some people (even close to me) value some lives as less than others. Every time I read about it I cry, which is terribly self-indulgent I feel, so I'm avoiding this story for a while I think.

Her main message: 'Our gun laws WILL change'. It's really that simple America.

She looks better with the headscarf because it hides her strange ears. Nonetheless I think she has responded extraordinarily well in the last 36 hours. I've been super impressed by her composure and the clarity of her message.
Yeah she's been very on point. Amazing to see someone getting a world stage not preaching hate fuelled bullshit. Although the circumstances are revolting.

I think this one hits hard, not just because of the nature of the attack, targeting people at prayer, but also New Zealand, a country we often relate to, has lost a certain amount of innocence. We Europeans are used to terror, but it's been a long time since war or terror hit NZ in any significant way.

It's easily the worst terrorist attack we've ever had.

We were supposed to be the ONE place where "this stuff" doesn't happen. My parents didn't flee the Middle East for the violence to follow them right up.

"It'll never happen to us"
"We're too far away"
"We're too peaceful"

*sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom