Christina Aguilera - Fighter

PLAYIN' THE VICTIM NOW

Results are only viewable after voting.
That it stands as a tentpole of her career is unfortunate as I just find it rather exhausting now. Vocally inappropriate is often a compliment for her from me, but here the lyrics just don't match the emotional avalanche she's simulating. I applaud her for the video though and do wish she still had her sights set on this level of artistry.

Let's face it the Stripped singles were a masterclass of a pop campaign. There wasn't a single weakling in the bunch, and whilst they had some lyrical themes running throughout there was so much sonic diversity in there. It's no wonder she couldn't ever top it because how could she?

Let's face it the Stripped singles were a masterclass of a pop campaign. There wasn't a single weakling in the bunch, and whilst they had some lyrical themes running throughout there was so much sonic diversity in there. It's no wonder she couldn't ever top it because how could she?

She arguably topped it with BIONIC but unfortunately, it was so ahead of its time, the masses just didn't UNDERSTAND.

Is this me? You wanna get crazy?
Cause I don't give a ---OWW

This was my favourite song of 2003. Still amazing now and I agree with Suedey on the overall album campaign.

It's crazy how irrelevant she feels these days. She was, arguably, in the early 00s, the most commercially-successful of Britney, Christina, Beyoncé and Pink, and yet they have all surpassed her many times over in terms of number of hits, classics and cultural impact.

That this song is - probably - one of her "classics" says a lot. It's just OK, and would be a footnote in the careers of the other three.

It's crazy how irrelevant she feels these days. She was, arguably, in the early 00s, the most commercially-successful of Britney, Christina, Beyoncé and Pink, and yet they have all surpassed her many times over in terms of number of hits, classics and cultural impact.

I love this and very much agree

"Ain't No Other Man" just wasn't worth the 3-year wait. Too long between albums and nowhere near good enough a song to kick off "Back To Basics" which got half of its sales off of the back of "Stripped" rather than its own merit if you ask me. "Back To Basics" had highlights but they launched with a song that wasn't good enough and "Candyman" as single #3 boxed it into novelty corner too quickly, even if it was moderately successful.

In a way, you could almost say the same thing happened to Gaga 7 or 8 years later. She was "the moment" and then she returned an overwrought follow-up with a sub-par lead single. Just a shorter interval between Fame Monster and Born This Way.

"Ain't No Other Man" just wasn't worth the 3-year wait. Too long between albums and nowhere near good enough a song to kick off "Back To Basics" which got half of its sales off of the back of "Stripped" rather than its own merit if you ask me. "Back To Basics" had highlights but they launched with a song that wasn't good enough and "Candyman" as single #3 boxed it into novelty corner too quickly, even if it was moderately successful.

Tis a shame cos Back to Basics is a very, very good album.

Some queens are just intimidated by a woman who wears many hats; artist, mother, fighter, bionic woman, voice of a generation etc.

Anyway, this is a gem, and Stripped is a great album.

I do believe she could have had a few decent sized latter-career solo hits if she'd actually bothered to PROMOTE any of them.

Your Body actually did quite well based on the promo being the VIDEO alone (has it ever had a TV performance?). Just A Fool again was a US hit waiting to happen that she didn't promote either, and I'm positive that Lift Me Up could have been one of her career classics if she'd done ANYTHING to capitalise on the momentum she had after the live performance she did of it.

There's probably quite a few other examples also, but I can't be bothered TRAWLING through the discography :D

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom