Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ellie

Super talented triple threat
Finally got around to seeing this. I went in completely cold having seen no trailers or reviews, only knowing it was about a hearing girl within a deaf family, so naturally assumed it would be an Oscar-bait drama.

I had no idea it would be so funny. It's really a typical coming-of-age film though, but thoroughly enjoyable, hitting all the right emotional beats at the end. Brilliant breakthrough performance from Emilia Jones, who from looking at her past roles (she's only 19) I must have only ever seen previously as "child" in many things. Shocking discovery after looking her up - Aled Jones is her dad! :o

I felt like this was essentially two movies. A really interesting one about the challenges faced by a deaf family, and a super generic one about a shy teenage girl who *shocker* has an amazing* singing voice.

Ultimately, the more generic film kind of took over, which was a shame as I felt like it glossed over some of the much more interesting questions it raised. But thankfully the cast was super charismatic and I agree, it's surprisingly funny and super watchable. I appreciated it, I just felt like it could have gone a bit deeper.

*except I didn't actually think her voice was all that great TBH.

This was a bit too junior for me. There are some interesting moments between her and each of the family members but then there’s so many cliches and twee stuff.

I’d take this over Belfast as the sentimental one that wins the BP.

So this has just won the PGA award for Best Picture over the predicted The Power of the Dog. I mean I’d prefer West Side Story, but I’m glad that an actual crowd pleaser is gaining serious traction. In trying times I really do want some positivity to be celebrated.

I'm glad this is getting the love as the Academy feel good film rather than Belfast. It would still be a somewhat underserving win and I'd rather see West Side Story too, but at least it's better than Green Book.

I watched this today (mainly just to see if Troy Katsur was any good or they gave him the Oscar because of his condition - he was GREAT in the end) and although it doesn't have the grandiosity of a BP award-winning film, I found it very heartwarming and beautiful and sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom