Come dine with Moopy

So if you were to host a dinner party, or if you were to go on Come Dine what would be on your menu?

STARTER

MAIN

DESSERT

Just for fun yeah

Last edited:
Depends on the season I guess?

In the middle of summer something like:

Starter: Ceviche
Main: Cod with Fennel and Orange
Dessert: Lime Bites with Mojito Icecream

ZEST ZEST ZEST.

What I usually prepare to impress someone coming for dinner for the first time:

STARTER
Salmorejo (with Spanish ham and boiled egg on top)

salmorejo-kYWC-U80494471043hVF-624x385@El%20Comercio.jpg

MAIN
Croquetas (croquettes?) (filled with bechamel and Spanish ham)

receta-croquetas-jamon.jpg

(sometimes I cook something else, or prepare a bit of sushi, but it's usually too much)

DESSERT

Either

Catalan cream (similar to crême brûlée)

crema-catalana-receta.jpg

Or

Carrot cake (I make the best homemade carrot cake you'd have)

Surely this doesn't need a pic :basil:

Yeah, I've been eating them for dinner all my life, it's very common here. And mine are so good (what a humble guy this Alla is) that when I have a friend coming over they always request them (and salmorejo), as they are complicated to make and they go for frozen ones (terrible). Mind you, I have a kitchen robot that makes the bechamel for me, which helps A LOT.

Why not for dinner? I don't get it, not enough food? With salmorejo and 5 or 6 croquettes (mine are quite big) you're full.

I guess it's quite tapas. But FAT BRITS would have them as part of a much larger plate of food!

Just feels like more of a starter. Mind you I've made Spanish croquettes before and have them as part of a tapas spread.

Salad with arugula, roasted vegetables, goat cheese, and a lemon dressing

salmon in a whiskey brown sugar sauce (the only thing I’m really good at cooking)

ice cream sundays

Oh right. Well not here, you would have them with chips if you eat out, but it's a main dish here, and very common. I had them for dinner all my life, it was that or Spanish omelette for dinner at my mum's.

If something you shouldn't eat for dinner is salmorejo, as it's quite strong, that's why I have it for starter, just a little bit.

There's a million things i could go for, but let's say something like:

Starter: fresh crab cakes with a home made sweet chilli sauce
Main: sausage casserole with bacon and butterbeans, with some mash and veg or something
Dessert: rhubarb crumble

Most of my food tastes and cooking is Mediterranean or Asian, but I'd probably stick to a familiar palate for this kind of thing.

Salad with arugula, roasted vegetables, goat cheese, and a lemon dressing

salmon in a whiskey brown sugar sauce (the only thing I’m really good at cooking)

ice cream sundays
I won’t be cooking any of this btw. It will all be prepared by robots

There's a million things i could go for, but let's say something like:

Starter: fresh crab cakes with a home made sweet chilli sauce
Main: sausage casserole with bacon and butterbeans, with some mash and veg or something
Dessert: rhubarb crumble

Most of my food tastes and cooking is Mediterranean or Asian, but I'd probably stick to a familiar palate for this kind of thing.

Ooh I love a rhubarb crumble.

Never heard of rhubarb crumble, but after some research I think I'd like it, does it have a sour taste? I never ate rhubarb, I don't think I ever saw them in a supermarket.

I LOVE everything sour (hello! Lebanese!) but rhubarb crumble is too sour for a dessert.

I’d be up for an IRL Moopy Come Dine With Me, just so I could do a Tina and serve ready meals :disco:

I love rhubarb. It's very sour naturally, so it depends how much sugar you add.
Surely half any American would add :D I adapt many recipes from America's Test Kitchen, which is fantastic when it comes to any kind of dishes. I say adapt because I always have to lower about 40 or 50% of the sugar, it's madness the amount of sugar they add!

I’d go for something like:

Starter - Bacon and Brie salad
Main - Salmon with a chilli sauce, baby potatoes and veg
Dessert - Some sort of CAKE (probably whatever Sainsbury’s have on offer)

I’ll have a think but I’d be more likely to set out a tapas, not necessarily Spanish recipes, selection and let folks help themselves.

I’m also looking forward to making TARTIFLETTE again once autumn arrives :disco:

When I was little I always used to hate crumbles regardless of whether or not I liked the fruit in it. I’d always just eat the crumbly bits and the custard :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom