Conservative leadership race (post May)

Which of these fuckers?

• Total voters
Everyone's chatting about a General Election. I really can't see a Tory leader calling one early whatever happens.
It's hard to see what else they can do if Parliament blocks no deal and they can't pass the deal. They certainly don't have the numbers to pass any legislation. It also might not be a matter of a Tory leader calling one, by that point.

It's certainly not out of the question that the next PM may break the record for shortest tenure in office currently held by George Canning at 119 days.

Either The Guardian are being vindictive or there's some truth in what they are reporting tonight

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ed-to-loud-altercation-at-boris-johnsons-home

I wonder why the police were trying to cover up what has been reported in that article if it is true?

No doubt nothing will come of the story - if it is true of course - but what the paper is alleging can hopefully finish his bid to be PM.

Given the response to the Mark Field incident, the Tory party membership will shrug and carry on as they were.

NEVER FEAR, J-HUNT has been SPOTTED in a HI-VIZ and has ROLLED HIS SLEEVES UP. Obviously inherited the IMAGE CONSULTANTS from the CAMERON/OSBORNE YEARS :manson:

I know that politicians are always fair game for the media, comedians, satire, ETC. and no-one is ever going to be universally LIKED, but having Boris in charge feels like it is going to wedge a further divide right down the country.

At this stage, regardless of what either man says, I don't believe either can unite the country. But there is certainly one that will polarise it EVEN MORE than the other.

Well the media certainly haven't buried it.

Every front page this morning.

Of course, his bosses at the Torygraph are going with the neighbour being a Remainer AND a lefty because apparently that's the story here.

I mean, my opinion of Johnson voters is already pretty low, but is ANYBODY really stupid enough to think that's a natural shot? :D

Reminds me of the photo shoots Tory ministers &.MPs would pose with their families after they were exposed as having extra marital affair back in the 90s.

david-mellor-with-his-family-G5WTYX.jpg

SafeLives and colleagues from domestic abuse charities sign a joint statement, explaining why it is so important we all take action if worried about someone’s safety.

“The weekend has been full of comment about the relationship we have with our neighbours.

“It’s not for us to judge what happens in anyone’s relationship, but it is for us all to take action if we are concerned about someone’s safety. That’s a natural human instinct. Let’s support it rather than challenge it.

“Don’t walk on by if you are worried. Ask if they are ok. Tell someone. Call the police.”

Signed by:

Suzanne Jacob, Chief Executive, SafeLives

Isabel Boyer, Chair of Trustees, SafeLives

Nicole Jacobs, Chief Executive, Standing Together Against Domestic Violence

Frank Mullane, Chief Executive, AAFDA (Advocacy After Fatal Domestic Abuse)

Sarah Green, Co-Director, End Violence Against Women

Gudrun Burnet, Co-Founder, Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance

Kelly Henderson, Co-Founder, Domestic Abuse Housing Alliance

Sam Smethers, Chief Executive, Fawcett Society

Jemima Olchawski, Chief Executive, Agenda

Nicola Sharp-Jeffs, Founder and Director, Surviving Economic Abuse

Mary Mason, Chief Executive, Solace Women’s Aid

Nicki Norman, Acting Co-Chief Executive, Women’s Aid Federation of England

Pragna Patel, Director, Southall Black Sisters

Nik Noone, Chief Executive, Galop

Nik Peasgood, Chief Executive, Leeds Women's Aid

Rachel Adamson, Director, Zero Tolerance

Dr Marsha Scott, Chief Executive, Scottish Women's Aid

Frances Beecher, Chief Executive, Llamau

It has upset me so much how the right-wing press have managed to TURN on people reporting potential domestic abuse situation and then report them as evil for recording the argument... Huh!? How has this been how it was swung?

It has upset me so much how the right-wing press have managed to TURN on people reporting potential domestic abuse situation and then report them as evil for recording the argument... Huh!? How has this been how it was swung?

Why has it upset you? Their motivations for going to the press would seem questionable at best. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of domestic abuse.

Why has it upset you? Their motivations for going to the press would seem questionable at best. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of domestic abuse.

As a general rule, if there's a recording of a woman screaming 'get off me' and things being smashed, it's not unreasonable to think you have evidence of domestic abuse.

As an aside, if my neighbours kept me up by screaming and throwing things, I would probably also want to ruin their run for Prime Minister. Some of us have REAL JOBS, Boris.

Because the implication is that if we hear these things happening in flats backing onto our own that we are in the wrong to raise our concerns to the police. Over a hundred women are killed by their partners every single year in the UK. If the reporting of this, stops even a single phone call when a neighbour is unsure whether to call or not then the media have blood on their hands.

1.2 million women a year have reported experiences of domestic abuse in a survey in 2016.

Not even Cwej book of stats. Real statistics from the charity, Refuge.

Meanwhile, this interview with Laura Kuenssberg is excellent from her point of view - but Boris apologists will just think she's being too tough on him. My dad will definitely use the words 'poisonous' and 'biased' to describe it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48751527

Because the implication is that if we hear these things happening in flats backing onto our own that we are in the wrong to raise our concerns to the police. Over a hundred women are killed by their partners every single year in the UK. If the reporting of this, stops even a single phone call when a neighbour is unsure whether to call or not then the media have blood on their hands.

1.2 million women a year have reported experiences of domestic abuse in a survey in 2016.

Not even Cwej book of stats. Real statistics from the charity, Refuge.

Meanwhile, this interview with Laura Kuenssberg is excellent from her point of view - but Boris apologists will just think she's being too tough on him. My dad will definitely use the words 'poisonous' and 'biased' to describe it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48751527

I think the issue is with making a tape to send to the press, not with the reporting of the issue to the police. Of course people are correct to report genuine concerns.

Boris is trying to sweep the whole incident under the carpet even with a recording of the incident. I don't doubt that if there was no recording then he would just flatly deny that it had ever happened.

This is Boris's "grab 'em by the pussy" moment. If he becomes PM anyway, that will validate him and all of his behaviours; his violent rage, his racism, his lies, his misogyny, his corruption. The price for the nation is having an immature, volatile, self-serving, privileged manbaby as our "Prime" Minister.

What a fucking embarrassment.

Boris is trying to sweep the whole incident under the carpet even with a recording of the incident. I don't doubt that if there was no recording then he would just flatly deny that it had ever happened.

There's a clip of him on LBC refusing to say when the picture was taken. The only nugget he is prepared to divulge is that he no longer has his hair cut by "that nice Turkish man" but by "Kelly or Tamara". So he learned their names already but not that of the Turkish bloke. Figures.

I think the Trump tape comparison is accurate, but maybe not for the right reason. Setting this up as some sort of ultimate disqualifier for high office is equally as blinkered and desperate a strategy as it was with Trump’s pussy-grabbing.

We may seem like a moral majority culturally, but most of the country just doesn’t care about this sort of thing, especially the swivel-eyed loons with Tory memberships. If anything, reading about some curtain-twitching liberals pressing a glass to the wall on their neighbours and immediately sending it off to The Guardian would push them towards Johnson even more. We should confront him on the issues, not his personal life. More people have had these unruly arguments than they would like to admit (not me personally but still) - and we know now that it wasn't violent.

There's a clip of him on LBC refusing to say when the picture was taken. The only nugget he is prepared to divulge is that he no longer has his hair cut by "that nice Turkish man" but by "Kelly or Tamara". So he learned their names already but not that of the Turkish bloke. Figures.
But didn't you know!! His grandparents were Muslim immigrants from Turkey, so it's "okay" :manson:

I think the Trump tape comparison is accurate, but maybe not for the right reason. Setting this up as some sort of ultimate disqualifier for high office is equally as blinkered and desperate a strategy as it was with Trump’s pussy-grabbing.
I mean, I'd say it's much moreso with this (which is far more relatable to things most people expect to either encounter or be embroiled in and turn out to be benign, and importantly where there isn't any smoking gun evidence so far that it isn't) than it was with a candidate unambiguously boasting about sexually assaulting women. Which also kind of had enough moral currency (and was definitive enough) that calling it desperate as arbiter feels like the wrong way to describe or interpret it as a campaign decision. There wasn't a moment during that campaign where the Clinton team thought they were going to lose!

No, not as an "ultimate disqualifier". With Trump, it was the moment that a lot of people went "oh come on, surely NOW, he has to piss off?" - it was one of a long line of remarks and behaviours considered unpresidential, anyone of which would have finished Obama.

In retrospect, the biggest red flag was that Trump's campaign wasn't finished by the crude impression of the disabled reporter. Boris's equivalents to that are too many to count.

But the core is correct - their supporters love this kind of thing.

I mean, I'd say it's much moreso with this (which is far more relatable to things most people expect to either encounter or be embroiled in and turn out to be benign, and importantly where there isn't any smoking gun evidence so far that it isn't) than it was with a candidate unambiguously boasting about sexually assaulting women. Which also kind of had enough moral currency (and was definitive enough) that calling it desperate as arbiter feels like the wrong way to describe or interpret it as a campaign decision. There wasn't a moment during that campaign where the Clinton team thought they were going to lose!

Maybe desperate was the wrong word to use. But these things do require a stronger moral consistency on the left to make them look more convincing than a political hit job. Either way, there was still going to be a probable rapist living in the White House.

I can understand making a big deal about the pussy-grabbing tape at the time, it was so out-there and bizarre. But stories about Trump being a predator still making the front page of liberal newspapers three years on, like this week? I'm not so sure. We've spent most of that time breathlessly gossiping about him being into golden showers. The people we need to convince aren't going to move based on stories about his personal life, regardless of how shocking they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom