Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
The last proper lockdown we had was in November and since it's just been a completely useless 6 pm curfew. Calls have been made since January to impose a proper lockdown to avoid a third wave (mostly due to the arrival of the Kent variant) mid-March. But our epidemiologist in charge Macron decided he knows better and kept everything (well schools and work places) open. Just as expected, the third wave is here and it's all a bit too late now.

Macron really sounds worse that useless and I am on an island with BORIS FUCKING JOHNSON at the helm.

Mildly agog France has fucked up with this one. Despite having a human scarecrow in charge we still appear to have managed, at the very least, to have got a grip of it all in the end.

So you reckon we don’t need to worry now. The vaccine is here and we all should be OK? I am always glass half full, but I just don’t know with this bloody virus.

So you reckon we don’t need to worry now. The vaccine is here and we all should be OK? I am always glass half full, but I just don’t know with this bloody virus.
It's not going away, but I don't think we'll see the devastating numbers we saw over winter or even last year again. I just hope there's an ongoing plan to manage it long term. Lockdown cannot be the forever solution.

In lieu of any deadly twists, I'm feeling positive about what's coming up.

It's not going away, but I don't think we'll see the devastating numbers we saw over winter or even last year again. I just hope there's an ongoing plan to manage it long term. Lockdown cannot be the forever solution.

In lieu of any deadly twists, I'm feeling positive about what's coming up.

I really hope you are right. With life suddenly looking semi exciting again I am not sure I could watch it all get snatched away again. I just want to hug my Mama. :(

We also have vaccines on the horizon that scientists reckon will be able to work against all current variants, and remarkably...future mutations too! I have faith in the scientists. The political leaders though? Not so much. Apart from Goddess Jacinda of course.

We also have vaccines on the horizon that scientists reckon will be able to work against all current variants, and remarkably...future mutations too! I have faith in the scientists. The political leaders though? Not so much. Apart from Goddess Jacinda of course.
Are you Kiwi?

Do we think that we are going to get hit with a 3rd wave? I just need some of the more informative Moopy members to educate me so I can prepare myself mentally.
Honestly don't know. I can't imagine why, as afaik the third wave Europe is having is the Kent variant we kindly exported that we're just getting over. It seemed to me we had the 2nd and 3rd waves smooshed together already

However Boris seems to think so, so maybe he knows something we don't.
I'd say assume we will, and if we don't then bonus. But we are opening up at a glacial pace so hopefully will avoid anything major. Plus we are reaching a point where case numbers won't matter too much as people won't be dying.

I think further waves of infections are not just possible, they're probable. As cloud says, it's not about infection numbers anymore though. If vaccinations can keep hospitalisations down, and if deaths are no more than a regular seasonal flu cycle, then we shouldn't lockdown again.

But who knows. I am far from optimistic, I have been let down by optimism too much already.

I mean the wording seems a bit wrong, they won’t ALL have been of course but it’s a promising statistic regardless.

Reactions: COB
Testing has been taking place at Porton Down to determine whether the vaccines work against variants. Results expected in the next weeks but initial data analysed by scientists on the effectiveness of vaccines against the new variants is "positive".

Testing has been taking place at Porton Down to determine whether the vaccines work against variants. Results expected in the next weeks but initial data analysed by scientists on the effectiveness of vaccines against the new variants is "positive".
Positive as in "looks good" or positive as in "tested positive for the virus"? :bruised:

Positive as in "looks good" or positive as in "tested positive for the virus"? :bruised:
i said what i said nene leakes GIF

Well we’re back in lockdown (we’ve been out for 2 weeks) not that it makes a huge difference for me but sitting in a cafe outside as the weather got better would have been nice.

Out vaccine distribution is still a hot mess and our premiere is a just so useless.

Japan is fucking it still, Christ knows how we’ve been lucky this long. The state of emergency in Kansai was called off early but Tokyo’s was extended. 3 weeks later, which prefecture has had a sudden spike in cases?
Osaka :(
Yesterday we had more cases than Tokyo, I think for the first time. I mean still it’s 2-3000 nationwide but it was 1000 a few weeks ago.

they haven’t even started vaccinating the old people yet!
:goodgrief:
But the only actual TALK about this seems to be Ooh will the Olympics happen? :DAF:

They started vaccinating in mid-February and they still haven’t done a million yet! And there’s like 130 million people

They started vaccinating in mid-February and they still haven’t done a million yet! And there’s like 130 million people
As a person who LOVES Japan (warts and all) and generally admires a lot of things about their way of life, it doesn't surprise me that they're going at a glacial pace with this.

They probably have devised a system where they give you thirteen pieces of paper of which three have to be stamped by three different officials before you are allowed to be vaccinated.

Stay strong Diddy! At least the numbers have been consistently low.

As a person who LOVES Japan (warts and all) and generally admires a lot of things about their way of life, it doesn't surprise me that they're going at a glacial pace with this.

They probably have devised a system where they give you thirteen pieces of paper of which three have to be stamped by three different officials before you are allowed to be vaccinated.

It's just a bit frustrating that it doesn't feel like we are any further away from another big wave. The numbers have been low (if they're real [/conspiracy]), but businesses' reactions to it has been as extreme as if it was 10x more, which is an issue with a jobbing English teacher

It's just a bit frustrating that it doesn't feel like we are any further away from another big wave. The numbers have been low (if they're real [/conspiracy]), but businesses' reactions to it has been as extreme as if it was 10x more, which is an issue with a jobbing English teacher
How so, disproportionally? Perhaps that overzealousness is a contributing factor, no?

Although that said, apparently Osaka and surrounding prefectures have announced they will get stricter on enforcing early closing hours for restaurants

Sounds a lot like France :eyes:

Mildly agog France has fucked up with this one. Despite having a human scarecrow in charge we still appear to have managed, at the very least, to have got a grip of it all in the end.
It has been a shitshow. I feel I'm done with this bitch. Not that it hasn't been coming for a while, but the complete incompetence of the last six months has been the icing on the cake. I told my bf I want to leave this morning.

Reactions: GNL

What the hell are you moaning about? They'll be done by 2043 then.

:D

Only 10 deaths reported in the UK yesterday (although it was a Bank Holiday). That's as low as it's been for a very long time.

I see everyone in England is going to have access to two free lateral flow tests a week. But what's the motivation for the average person to take them? If they're feeling fine, and aren't seeing any vulnerable loved ones any time soon, there's no personal upside and only the risk of having to self-isolate. Without something like this being mandatory (which is unworkable) I can't see it having much effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom