Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
Long as it keeps going down, I don't care why :)

Poor ZOE just updated their algorithm to force it to look like reality again, now it looks like they'll have to roll it back!

Yes I had a feeling that all the scary bit numbers in the 50k region might be a bit of a peak within a peak related to the Euros.

The numbers are coming down quite a lot though. Apparently 92% of UK adults now have antibodies according to the latest study. Have we finally crossed the herd immunity line…?

Have we finally crossed the herd immunity line…?
Isn't that 90ish% including children (for Delta)?

The friday ONS survey will be interesting as that is what actually measures prevalence. Positive tests falling could also be because there are less tests (or previous reinfections as discussed before) so the survey is much more definitive in the conclusions you can draw.

I read an article at the moment that said reinfection accounted for 1.4% of total current infections (and yes this 1.4% is excluded from the graphs).

24,950 cases which is the sixth consecutive day with a drop. This trend with the peak number of cases almost perfectly matched up with the gatherings during Euros :kim:
It'll be interesting to see what happens when the impact of FREEDOM DAY is felt, then.

God, is it completely wrong to want the figures to rocket up again just so Johnson can't claim he was right all along?

One of the doctors on tv said it would take about 7 years to get herd immunity? Is that right? :confused:

probably in the sense of it becoming a regular flu, I’d guess so. But if they can keep the boosters up to date at the pace of the variants, that would be enough of a band aid to see us through until then, with no excess deaths than any other flu season. Depends on this winter plays out and if the next variant doesn’t mutate too much, I would assume

Yes I had a feeling that all the scary bit numbers in the 50k region might be a bit of a peak within a peak related to the Euros.

The numbers are coming down quite a lot though. Apparently 92% of UK adults now have antibodies according to the latest study. Have we finally crossed the herd immunity line…?
This is what I like to believe, but everyone I know higher up in the pecking order of expertise/obsessiveness says "no" and that herd immunity may not even be possible (but that the vaccines do the job of keeping 91% out of hospital, etc etc. Tories: "oh well, try not to be vulnerable, we don't like vulnerable people anyway")

And I'm thinking, well if this is the case and like they say it's with us for good... what do we do in say, September, when the snot flingers return to school and the wave of viruses always happens? Maybe we've done what we can with vaccines and need to start pouring billions into treatments and research into long covid next?

Anyway the current thinking with the drop is a combination of many factors. Increased immunity yes, plus schools broken up, Euros over, people behaving better than expected, "pingdemic" causing like a shadow lockdown, nice weather keeping everyone outdoors, etc. Apparently we should see any effects of "Freedom Day" from about Friday.

(Just in case you're starting to feel hopeful, doomers are busy prepping stories about climate-related civilisation collapse by 2040...)

Confused, mostly, and trying to ignore the doomers. If you read my comment with an unbiased eye, you should find that it too is quite neutral.

The trend of cases going down in the UK is positive, but it'll be the autumn where the business end of things will be. Hopefully, there's plenty of time to roll out a well-considered booster plan for those at risk.

Boost me up

hqdefault.jpg

I assume the booster will only be for vulnerable people and those of a certain age?? What age would that be?

The only place I checked in was a bar on Friday night.

But apparently it isn't only where you check in, is it? If you have the app running the Bluetooth can pick it up from any contact. So perhaps I've been badmouthing Nando's in error. Still crap food and dirty toilets though.

The only place I checked in was a bar on Friday night.

But apparently it isn't only where you check in, is it? If you have the app running the Bluetooth can pick it up from any contact. So perhaps I've been badmouthing Nando's in error. Still crap food and dirty toilets though.
Ugh nightmare :( You can tell on what day you had contact with someone who tested positive by deducting the number of days the app says you have left to isolate from 10.

Ugh nightmare :( You can tell on what day you had contact with someone who tested positive by deducting the number of days the app says you have left to isolate from 10.
The app tells you the encounter date anyway, no need for maths!

Seeing quite a few anti-vax/covid deniers get covid now. I wish them nothing more than a bad fever, but also, ha.
I do have a vindictive streak and would tend to wish them a hard time with it, if I'm brutally honest.

Not death, but perhaps a close brush with it, some time in hospital etc. Because when these people are lucky and end up getting off lightly with it, it just emboldens them with the "why the fuss, it's just a cold, I know as I had it and I'm fine" crap. Whereas "antivaxxer and covid denier apologises for being an idiot and pleads with everyone to take this seriously, in between laboured breaths" has more of an impact on others taking it seriously.

As far as I’m aware, with work, if we get pinged we just take a test and if it comes back negative then you’re fine.

Oh no. Are you not a key worker though which means you can ignore it now (I think)?
I am, but the surgeries where I work are quite clear that they don't want me there.

Waiting to hear if my manager expects me to go to the office - although I can't do any more there than I can at home. I need to be at surgery. I can only do about 50% of the job if I'm not in surgery, it makes no difference if I'm home or in the office. Just that I could be used in other ways as well if I'm there.

Can I ignore it to go food shopping though?

I had JUST been thinking "ooh the numbers are going back up here, I hope they keep a lid on it during the Olympics" - then they've just SHOT up since yesterday to what I think might be an all-time peak... still it's 7,629 in a country of 125M, but that's NOT great. Second vacc on Sunday...

I had already booked a trip to Kanto to visit 4 of the top 5 prefectures for new cases (I'm living in the other prefecture), hmm...still, 10 days to go :/

Too early to pin this on the Olympics, I'd have thought, but I'm sure they'll try

Oh that is quite good. I would like to see one showing the risk of dying having caught it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom