Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
I know it WAS an absolute shit show to start with and I am unsure on how confident I am on things to come towards autumn/winter BUT the people who have taken the time to make and distribute these vaccinations around the world are really nothing short of INCREDIBLE.

Reactions: COB
I wonder to what extent positive cases have been reduced by the whole "pingdemic" turn off.

Like, I can imagine theres a section of society that use phrases such as "we can't live like this forever" that have switched off to such an extent that they're not even bothering to get tested anymore, if symptoms are relatively mild.

I know it WAS an absolute shit show to start with and I am unsure on how confident I am on things to come towards autumn/winter BUT the people who have taken the time to make and distribute these vaccinations around the world are really nothing short of INCREDIBLE.

I do worry the Delta variant will tear through countries with low vaccination rates.

I wonder to what extent positive cases have been reduced by the whole "pingdemic" turn off.

Like, I can imagine theres a section of society that use phrases such as "we can't live like this forever" that have switched off to such an extent that they're not even bothering to get tested anymore, if symptoms are relatively mild.
Oh that's definitely happening, and I'm not sure it's just in that section of society. When the main symptoms for vaccinated people are a sniffle and a headache, I can imagine plenty of people avoiding being tested just because they'd rather not know or face the embarrassment of forcing their close contacts to isolate (even if they themselves choose to stop going out for a while).

I heard that on some gay podcasts, where they kept saying they got the “gay” cold going around. Which sounded like Covid that they got from circuit parties to me.

I heard that on some gay podcasts, where they kept saying they got the “gay” cold going around. Which sounded like Covid that they got from circuit parties to me.

They meant crabs :(

Sorry if it's been covered but an interesting story doing the rounds yesterday that almost HALF of all hospital cases are being diagnosed AT THE HOSPITAL. This only counts people who go in not knowing what's wrong with them.

I'm sure some of them suspect, or are in denial. But that's still an awful lot of people going into hospital complaining of an illness and being told they have covid. That also aligns with reports from hospitals saying that people are shocked when they get told they have covid, or aren't familiar with the connection of the symptoms vs the illness.

It's just... mind blowing.

I mean, anyone that goes into A+E has to have a COVID swab (even if it’s for a minor reason). So I’m sure there’s plenty of cases that are picked up because of that.

Sorry if it's been covered but an interesting story doing the rounds yesterday that almost HALF of all hospital cases are being diagnosed AT THE HOSPITAL. This only counts people who go in not knowing what's wrong with them.

I'm sure some of them suspect, or are in denial. But that's still an awful lot of people going into hospital complaining of an illness and being told they have covid. That also aligns with reports from hospitals saying that people are shocked when they get told they have covid, or aren't familiar with the connection of the symptoms vs the illness.

It's just... mind blowing.
It IS mind blowing, and I think when you look into the demographics of people in hospital, it's quite revealing. The admission rate is still highest in the over 75s as you'd very much expect, but then after them, the rate of hospitalisation is higher amongst 25 - 44 age range than 45 - 74, which is crazy. The double vaccination rate is obviously going to be higher in the older group, but even so that surprises me. And I think speaks of a failed message to younger people for whatever reason - and the craziness/mixed message of Freedom Day while such a significant proportion of that group was unvaccinated.

There a bit of a flap in Scotland a few months ago because the stats were showing a sharp increase in kids getting hospitalised, but once you drilled down into it, it was because they were going with things like broken legs etc and then testing positive there, not that the disease itself was causing it (in most cases)

After taking it away a few months ago, the city of Atlanta has reinstated the mask mandate. I’m curious to see if people go back to wearing them. I suspect not

After taking it away a few months ago, the city of Atlanta has reinstated the mask mandate. I’m curious to see if people go back to wearing them. I suspect not

looks like a few states have. A delayed reaction to the delta spread. It’ll get worse before it gets better.

• Sad
Reactions: RJN
10 days away from my only holiday for a year that I am/was really looking forward to, and suddenly Tokyo has tipped into coronapocalypse. I’m getting my 2nd shot on Sunday, and I know it takes a little time to get fully effective but…

I think I’m going to trust myself to still go and just be careful. I’m doing it on my own, wearing a mask, not travelling at rush hour. I mean is it worse than staying in Osaka?

10 days away from my only holiday for a year that I am/was really looking forward to, and suddenly Tokyo has tipped into coronapocalypse. I’m getting my 2nd shot on Sunday, and I know it takes a little time to get fully effective but…

I think I’m going to trust myself to still go and just be careful. I’m doing it on my own, wearing a mask, not travelling at rush hour. I mean is it worse than staying in Osaka?
Have the numbers suddenly exploded? Is it olympics related?

Have the numbers suddenly exploded? Is it olympics related?

I don’t think so, I mean it only started last Friday. There’s even an Olympics COVID cases count, running at about 200 total at the moment, which isn’t bad considering how many Japanese are working on it, and how many foreigners were flown in for it (can’t remember but it was in tens of thousands)

the Tokyo state of emergency started about 2 weeks ago though, so maybe it was just crazy boozing until then? If that’s the case then Hopefully it’ll start to ease off again in teh next week

Most of my trip is to the satellite prefectures around Tokyo anyway, which bemused the people I said it to. It’s like going to the south-east and visiting Reading, Slough, Biggleswade and Ramsgate

Most of my trip is to the satellite prefectures around Tokyo anyway, which bemused the people I said it to. It’s like going to the south-east and visiting Reading, Slough, Biggleswade and Ramsgate
I remember doing a day trip to some of the temples/historic buildings in the suburbs of Hong Kong and being the only white person on the train. And that’s in HK!

they were the best temples though!

I remember doing a day trip to some of the temples/historic buildings in the suburbs of Hong Kong and being the only white person on the train. And that’s in HK!

they were the best temples though!

well these days if it’s anything vaguely instagenic you’ll have some influencer/prick with a GoPro (not like me of course) wandering around, but since the gates closed last year I’ve been a bit of a unicorn.

that said, I’m 5ft6ish with dark brown hair so it’s not like I stand out that much, apart from my alabaster skin

well these days if it’s anything vaguely instagenic you’ll have some influencer/prick with a GoPro (not like me of course) wandering around, but since the gates closed last year I’ve been a bit of a unicorn.

that said, I’m 5ft6ish with dark brown hair so it’s not like I stand out that much, apart from my alabaster skin

diddy blending in on his day trip

1627570280118.jpeg

Hoped the drop was real but maybe it was a bit FISHY (Zoe, aka Tim's, words)

Think maybe a combination of last week being a comedown from a Euros "wave within a wave", and stage 4 was meant to have an effect by around now/Friday

One data point is not a trend.

However, having said that, there are a number of reasons to explain cases rising again that it wouldn't surprise me if that now happens.

Two data points, but true.

I'm cautiously optimistic when two drops in a row happen, and cautiously pessimistic when two rises in a row happen...

There a bit of a flap in Scotland a few months ago because the stats were showing a sharp increase in kids getting hospitalised, but once you drilled down into it, it was because they were going with things like broken legs etc and then testing positive there, not that the disease itself was causing it (in most cases)

Nobody is talking about the broken legedemic :(

Cases are up in the UK today? Is this to do with restrictions lifting?

they're up slightly but hospital admissions are down for the first time in weeks. There will always be anomolies when you look at it daily. That's why the 7 day trend is so much more accurate and is what NHS and the government use to track trends and make forecasts.

I guess what's concerning is we were told that the impact of Freedom Day would be felt from about Friday this week. So it IS concerning that a week long trend reverses around this time. But I agree that the trend is still the important thing. I'm just a bit more worried about the next few days...

More misconceptions doing the rounds (I love interpreting data) is that the number of cases of vaccinated people is still rising and the number of non vaccinated people is falling. This is actually true. The anti vaxxers are having a field day sharing twisted data on it. But what they won't tell you is that because the non vaccinated people are now in the minority, there are less people in that group to infect. Vaccinated positive cases are now slowly becoming the dominant group, but THAT is why the overall number of cases is going down. Stands to reason. And of course, doesn't take into account the fact that most of the vaccinated people aren't getting sick. Positive cases and sick people are not the same thing.

Just another case of people reading what they want to read.

More misconceptions doing the rounds (I love interpreting data) is that the number of cases of vaccinated people is still rising and the number of non vaccinated people is falling. This is actually true. The anti vaxxers are having a field day sharing twisted data on it. But what they won't tell you is that because the non vaccinated people are now in the minority, there are less people in that group to infect. Vaccinated positive cases are now slowly becoming the dominant group, but THAT is why the overall number of cases is going down. Stands to reason. And of course, doesn't take into account the fact that most of the vaccinated people aren't getting sick. Positive cases and sick people are not the same thing.

Just another case of people reading what they want to read.
It's fucking nonsense. If EVERYONE was vaccinated, only vaccinated people would get it. People are so fucking thick.

Also I don’t buy that ‘Freedom Day’ is going to make THAT much of a difference, very little has changed in my life since, most people aren’t going to nightclubs/theatres/festivals every week.

Although I feel mask wearing will drop off very quickly, the staff have stopped doing it at the pub already, and even though last week the customers were still doing it out of habit, tonight only about 10% of customers were wearing masks when moving about.

Although I feel mask wearing will drop off very quickly, the staff have stopped doing it at the pub already, and even though last week the customers were still doing it out of habit, tonight only about 10% of customers were wearing masks when moving about.

yeah I was out for dinnner tonight and noticed a marked difference to last week. People still being good on the trains though - about 75% masks I reckon.

I was the only passenger wearing a mask on the train I was on yesterday! I recall ONE other person wore one when we were getting off at the end. It was then probably about 50/50 in terms of people wearing masks at the station.

I've weirdly not been to a pub since freedom day, but I'm 100% not wearing a mask in a pub or restaurant any more. It was pretty pointless to start with, given it was about 20 seconds worth between door and table, or table and toilet.

I'm still doing masks in supermarkets for now. I would on public transport but I don't use it, so, evs.

Yeah I’m actually very happy not to be wearing one at work, and I think it made very little difference anyway.

Also I don’t buy that ‘Freedom Day’ is going to make THAT much of a difference, very little has changed in my life since, most people aren’t going to nightclubs/theatres/festivals every week.

Thinking the same. It seems that despite everyone needing to be herded like cattle by the government over the past couple of years, there is actually some level of common sense lingering. Not as much as we'd like, but still - masks around 50/50 in shops is better than none, still required for corridors and visiting desks where I work, people not completely flocking to every nightclub they can find etc.

As for the pub I've been wearing a mask this week for going to the bar. The idea was, they've been leaning over us maskless lot, waiting hand and foot, putting themselves at risk, and so now it's our turn to protect them - they now get to stay behind the bar, and when we go up, might as well mask up too.

So far out of 4 staff 1 has said "you do know you don't need to wear that now right?!" and 1 has said "hmm, not feeling ready to remove that yet? I understand."
Me and my dad were pretty much the odd ones out and even he's skipped the last couple.
So yeah I think probably just maskless from here on out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom