Cumgate: The Ineffable Survival of Dominic Cummings

This could have been over in a day if:

1. Cummings admitted wrongdoing on Friday night
2. Cummings apologises & offers to resign on Saturday morning
3. Johnson comes out with criticism of Cummings but doesn't accept resignation for "reasons"
4. Then you move to the "case is closed, time to move on"

3. Johnson comes out with criticism of Cummings but doesn't accept resignation for "reasons"

3a - Nicola Sturgeon goes "eh, hang on, I'd to ditch my chief medical officer and you're backing a SPAD who did a lot worse?"

Reactions: GNL
3a - Nicola Sturgeon goes "eh, hang on, I'd to ditch my chief medical officer and you're backing a SPAD who did a lot worse?"
That's when you employ the "extreme circumstances" excuse which seemed to be quite effective in shutting down any comparison with Caldergate.

That's when you employ the "extreme circumstances" excuse which seemed to be quite effective in shutting down any comparison with Caldergate.

Not up here it wasn't. But it would have washed with Boris's support so it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

**cwej book of stats**

Saw a thread from my (mostly Conservative) home town earlier today. Five days ago everyone was baying for Cummings blood. Now I'm one of two or three people anti-Cummings - the rest are calling the media bullies and propaganda agents and that they need to 'let it go'.

**cwej book of stats**

**cwej book of stats**

Saw a thread from my (mostly Conservative) home town earlier today. Five days ago everyone was baying for Cummings blood. Now I'm one of two or three people anti-Cummings - the rest are calling the media bullies and propaganda agents and that they need to 'let it go'.

**cwej book of stats**

The only way Cummings can be stopped is with a sniper. Such a master twister.

Another TORY area and it’s a bit mixed but mainly “ooh he was wrong but I don’t give a shit”

But I bet if it was CORBYN :eyes:

(Diane Abbott was in the wrong and should have apologised. Which she did, relatively quickly, without being forced.)

The fact that Boris is effectively gagging people from even answering questions on Cummings now. The mind boggles.

The fact that Boris is effectively gagging people from even answering questions on Cummings now. The mind boggles.
It's another colossal misstep by him. The BBC news report tonight was pretty damning, they showed that incident in its entirety and then followed it up with a rational, straightforward comment by Starmer. The longer this goes on, the more damage the Tories are doing to themselves.

I’m not complaining at all, if it means it put Boris at more risk of not being re-elected in 2024 then I’m ALL UP FOR IT to keep going TITS UP.

Sadly I think in a few months this will all be forgotten, never mind by 2024.

As Trump once said, he could kill someone and still they’d vote for him. The same is true for Boris. The Tories have been dreadful since they got into power in 2010 but they are teflon coated. They’ve duped millions to vote for them time after time in an act of continuous self-harm.

Sadly I think in a few months this will all be forgotten, never mind by 2024.

As Trump once said, he could kill someone and still they’d vote for him. The same is true for Boris. The Tories have been dreadful since they got into power in 2010 but they are teflon coated. They’ve duped millions to vote for them time after time in an act of continuous self-harm.
:bruised: Oh well let’s hope he awkwardly eats a bacon sandwich the week before the election or SOMETHING.

Still front page on most of the newspapers. The highlight for me is THE STAR - of all rags - sticking the boot in. Cummings did say that if the story was still front page by Sunday, he'd quit. Two days to go...

Oh, and the spectator ran a piece stating that Johnson isn't fit to lead.

First thing I did this morning was looked at the front pages, it isn't going away even with the footy/bbq bands. The number of MPs against him seems to be growing too.

First thing I did this morning was looked at the front pages, it isn't going away even with the footy/bbq bands. The number of MPs against him seems to be growing too.
It helps that he basically silenced expert opinion on national TV yesterday - another massive fuck-up to keep the story fresh.

The regulations don’t refer to second homes though, do they? Ownership seems irrelevant.

The UK guidance introduced at the end of March said:

People with holiday homes and caravans are still not permitted to travel to their second home or to stay overnight. Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home is not allowed.

The argument's a dead end. He's never claimed that having access to another property automatically gives you a reasonable excuse.

The argument's a dead end. He's never claimed that having access to another property automatically gives you a reasonable excuse.
He said he went to stay with his parents, which was lying by omission.

Nothing will come of it, but the reality is that Calderwood resigned for the exact same thing Cummings has done, and our shithouse PM keeps telling us what he did was reasonable and within the rules.

Exactly - and then everyone gets a compromise final result. Johnson would lose a bit in the polls, but not as much as he has... the game has been played very badly.

We've already seen that ANY argument is a dead end. He has been proven to have broken the rules and they still claim his innocence through double speak. There's no point digging up other avenues to show he's wrong, because people have already made their minds up now whichever side they are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom