Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jark

User
it's not exactly a GOLDEN ERA for musicals in Hollywood right now (at least at the box office), but this one from Joe Wright starring Peter Dinklage as Cyrano looks great to me.

I'm actually not au fait with the source material but the trailer is giving me plenty of hope and the reviews are pretty strong. any takers? out now on limited release I think.

Looking forward to it after seeing the trailer, but I hope there’s at least some difference from the other versions as they’re a little too familiar.

Looking forward to it after seeing the trailer, but I hope there’s at least some difference from the other versions as they’re a little too familiar.
Well, he's short instead of having a big nose. How progressive. :eyes:

Seriously though, I love Peter Dinklage, everything he does is always top drawer so I'm also looking forward to it.

Bit odd considering they already flew Dinklage over to promote it, but he’s emerged as a likely Oscar nominee so I guess they’re banking on that + the pandemic dying down.

I don't fancy this at all as I've never enjoyed the story in any of its forms, not the Depardieu version, not Steve Martin.

Joe Wright's films are just so bland and naff, P&P and Atonement aside.

So this is a musical? They're advertising it as that but not really focusing on it in the promotion. It wasn't even mentioned in any of the Dinklage interviews I've seen.

I have a general problem with musicals that are afraid to actually BE musicals.

It is. I don't know why they bother trying to hoodwink people, tricking people into a buying a ticket seems a really short term strategy.

I'll never forget going to see Sweeney Todd and multiple people just LEAVING during the first song :D

I'll never forget going to see Sweeney Todd and multiple people just LEAVING during the first song :D

Hard to know whether that was because they were bamboozled into seeing a musical, or just because of Depp's NOCALS.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: COB
The costuming and makeup were the best thing about this. The songs and singing were generally awful.

Wasn't fond of the songs but the way they were presented were fantastic. The soft rapping Dinklage did at some points was quite entertaining.

A shame it seems to have flopped, not entirely surprised. Musicals DEAD (again)

I mean this was always going to flop, an unknown musical with no big stars. Also I think this was shot during the pandemic which explains why it feels so empty (not a bad thing but it did lack spectacle).

I had to watch it twice in a row - once on Friday when my first planned film got cancelled (and this was the only thing playing in order for me to make my second film on time) and again on Saturday with my mum as it was the only thing she wanted to see.

It wasn’t as good the second time, but I still enjoyed it. Loved Peter Dinklage’s performance and Kelvin Harrison Jr has a lovely voice. The songs really weren’t all that, but that can be overlooked - I’m glad to see it was actually a proper musical because I read some reports that it was just going to be the letters/poems set to music, which sounded shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom