Czech Republic 2019 | Lake Malawi - Friend of a Friend

VoR

Take it or leave it
National selection again for the newly respectable Czechs. Eight songs to choose from, all now available on this playlist.

It's a fairly bland bunch TBH. This is probably the strongest thing on offer, although it's right on the line in terms of earwormy/annoying and would probably require a very slick stage show to stand out.

This laughably un-subtle Lana Del Rey knock off is nice enough too, I guess.

None of these come close to “Lie to Me” which sounded like a potential top 10 from first listen to me (nothing even sounds like a safe qualifier IMO and the best two or three options they have would depend on the stage show and what else gets sent) but my favourite is “Space Sushi” (which admittedly I’ve been familiar with for a few weeks already as it was heavily rumoured to be taking part).

Those two in the opening post round out my top 3 but yes, I took three listens to “Friend of a Friend” this morning and each time it took a couple of minutes to decide I was feeling it.

Wow that Lake Malawi guy is slappable. But then so was Mikolas last year and it seemed to work for them.

Lake Malawi win. I'd come to quite enjoy 'True Colors' and I think it would have been the safer choice for potential qualification. I do like the song quite a bit though.

Live performance at the Ukrainian national final.

Jamala getting well into it :D I do find this very charming and he's surprisingly strong live, but I still think this is borderline at best.

They've given it a subtle revamp and a proper music video. I do really like this, though it's in such a tough semi.

Live performance at the Ukrainian national final.

Jamala getting well into it :D I do find this very charming and he's surprisingly strong live, but I still think this is borderline at best.

He is nowhere near as muggy live as on video. That spoken bit is pretty unforgivable but I do quite like the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom